2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Top 100 Places to Live...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 3:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://livability.com/top-100-best-places-to-live#/palo-alto/ca

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My city didn't make the list, but many nearby ones in California did - looks like CA had more cities make the list than any other state.  My reasons for loving where I live include the year-round hiking access close by in a wide variety of beautiful terrain

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There must be some weird methodology at work here. Seattle does not make the top 100, but Tacoma does? (And Seattle suburb Bellevue is #12.)

(I know that these things can always be debated, but that combination of results seem especially whacky.)
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

#2 for Boulder.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Podunk, Wyoming is not even listed. Where do these people get this stuff? Glad I don't live in town.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 6
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Oct. 18 2013, 4:23 pm)
There must be some weird methodology at work here. Seattle does not make the top 100, but Tacoma does? (And Seattle suburb Bellevue is #12.)

(I know that these things can always be debated, but that combination of results seem especially whacky.)

For some odd reason, it only included cities with a population between 20.000 and 350,000.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This kind of stuff is totally irrelevant to anything realistic.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jcb @ Oct. 18 2013, 4:49 pm)

(cweston @ Oct. 18 2013, 4:23 pm)

For some odd reason, it only included cities with a population between 20.000 and 350,000.

Now that you mention it, I see that buried in their methodology description. It's extremely odd that they did not include this information more prominently on the main page.
 Post Number: 9
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not exactly a list for hikers & backpackers ... Anchorage is 91?!?!?

What truly gives it a lack of credence is when you see that five Iowa cities were listed ahead of Anchorage.

I went to university in Iowa, and have driven through most of the state ... it's nothing to brag about from a hiking & backpacking perspective. I was in Anchorage last month ... I'd locate there in a heartbeat if I had to move the to US. Saw Bozeman up there at #22 ... my second choice for US cities.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 10
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well St. Louis made the list (no. 100)... ever been to St.Louis?

Good grief.

Some very good towns on that list, including my birthplace of Palo Alto.

But I'll take Bozeman...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 11
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 18 2013, 6:56 pm)

A friend of mine is on the SLPD SWAT.  The pace of operations that he works tells me that it's not exactly an urban paradise.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 12
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They chose cities of that size because there are enough people in those places for patterns to be drawn. All of the variables included reflect patterns.

For the upper limit of 350,000, quality of life within the pattern probably drops off precipitously...

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 13
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whatever...
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only three in Colorado

Aurora made the cut, but Fort Collins did not?

WTF?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 1:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:56 pm    

Yes, I lived in the city and worked or the county for six years (in law enforcement) so I know a thing or two about the area.

The city's not as bad as he press it receives.  There is plenty of crime, but like many urban areas it is mostly found in certain neighborhoods.  The city has plenty of nice areas with lots of things to do.  Saint Louis resident love sports; especially baseball and hockey.  The city's museums and cultural attractions are excellent.

Lots of good places to eat in Saint Louis, too.  Housing is affordable and there are plenty of good employers in the Saint Louis area that pay vey well.  Barnes Hospital is one of the best in the US.

Within a two-hour drive of Saint Louis you will find good hiking and excellent paddling.  I really enjoyed kayaking the state's rivers and creeks.  It's nice to see the Ozark Trail being developed by the Ozark Trail Association.

Chicago's a much worse place crime wise than Saint Louis in the Midwest.

RS

--------------
 Post Number: 16
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 18 2013, 4:01 pm)
This kind of stuff is totally irrelevant to anything realistic.

Yup, pretty much this.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 4:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rangersven @ Oct. 18 2013, 11:00 pm)
Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:56 pm    

Yes, I lived in the city and worked or the county for six years (in law enforcement) so I know a thing or two about the area.

The city's not as bad as he press it receives.  There is plenty of crime, but like many urban areas it is mostly found in certain neighborhoods.  The city has plenty of nice areas with lots of things to do.  Saint Louis resident love sports; especially baseball and hockey.  The city's museums and cultural attractions are excellent.

Lots of good places to eat in Saint Louis, too.  Housing is affordable and there are plenty of good employers in the Saint Louis area that pay vey well.  Barnes Hospital is one of the best in the US.

Within a two-hour drive of Saint Louis you will find good hiking and excellent paddling.  I really enjoyed kayaking the state's rivers and creeks.  It's nice to see the Ozark Trail being developed by the Ozark Trail Association.

Chicago's a much worse place crime wise than Saint Louis in the Midwest.

RS

The article said St. Louis... not St. Louis County, Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Ladue, Chesterfield., et al.

And yes, the city of St. Louis is crime ridden.

Some of the worst weather in America.

Polluted.

Horrible traffic.

But at least the countryside is chigger and tick infected :D

Ii is, without doubt however, the greatest baseball city in America.

And yes, I lived there far longer than 6 years.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having lived in several places that make the worst places to live list, anywhere can be a great place if you have the right attitude; good friends and cold beer help too.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the major crime in Saint Louis is in North City; in the county, it is the North County region.  North County is getting more and more people from North City, go figure.  There are far worse places than Saint Louis for traffic.

And of course, no matter what the subject, Brad from MT is all Knowing...about everything, no matter what the subject.  Can you tell us what it's like working law enforcement in North County, all knowing one...

RS

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rangersven @ Oct. 19 2013, 7:22 am)
Most of the major crime in Saint Louis is in North City; in the county, it is the North County region.  North County is getting more and more people from North City, go figure.  There are far worse places than Saint Louis for traffic.

And of course, no matter what the subject, Brad from MT is all Knowing...about everything, no matter what the subject.  Can you tell us what it's like working law enforcement in North County, all knowing one...

RS

Got your panties in a wad there Sven? God forbid anyone would contradict you. Finally, got a little more out of you than non-committed, 3rd person drivel.

You're the one that included the various counties... remember that there Sven. Those were your rules, not mine.

Have seen drive-bye's in N County. Not too pleasant.

A friends mother and grandmother were stabbed and slashed to death, in the city proper, in what was one of the most gruesome crimes in St. Louis homicide history.

I taught school in N. County, and lived there briefly... yes, I've seen it.

And yeah, lived in St.Louis for 16 years.

A Top 100 City In America?

Not in any universe I inhabit.

From Wiki:

Crime in St. Louis includes an overview of crime both in the city of St. Louis and in the Greater St. Louis metropolitan area. Crime in the city increased from the 1960s through the early 1990s as measured by the index crime rate, followed by a decline in crime rates through 2011. Despite decreasing crime, rates of violent crime and property crime in both the city and the metropolitan area remain higher than the national metropolitan area average.[1] In addition, the city of St. Louis consistently has been ranked among the most dangerous cities in the United States. However, these rankings are controversial and do not necessarily reflect the crime risk of the metropolitan area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_St._Louis

--------------
 Post Number: 21
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine didn't make the list.

Cool.
 Post Number: 22
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine didn't make the list either. I think that they missed out.
21 replies since Oct. 18 2013, 3:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Top 100 Places to Live...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions