2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "Chasing Ice", 2012 Sundance Winner (Documentaries)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 12:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last night I attended a showing of the documentary film "Chasing Ice" at the Boulder Int'l Film Festival.  Despite the high ticket price I wanted to see this film, in part because many of the folks in it are people I work with personally, and on a couple of occasions I've met the film's main subject... James Balog, a National Geographic photographer who envisioned the Extreme Ice Survey project and has made it one of the most compelling and telling stories of climate in the world today.

Long story short, it's an extraordinary film... equal parts science, adventure and personal struggle.  It just won the 2012 Documentary award at the Sundance Film Festival a couple weeks ago.  I'm not sure when it will be released to broader theatres yet, but I highly recommend it to anyone, regardless of your proclivities on the larger subject matter.

I couldn't find a direct trailer, but here's a chat with the (surprisingly young) Director, Jeff Orlowski (when the film was accepted to Sundance, before recently winning there):

"Chasing Ice" Website

And the subject of the movie:

The Extreme Ice Survey

Neither of the trailers above show even a fraction of the telling and beautiful imagery in the film.  I highly recommend when it's out in broader theaters, go see it!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to see the film, but unless it becomes available on the Internet, I suspect it will be a long while before it's shown in my area. Quite a project nonetheless.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it an I-max type of production?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 20 2012, 10:26 am)
Is it an I-max type of production?

I don't think so, but it would really be something on an IMAX screen.  Barbara and I were commenting on that last night, it's the perfect kind of project for IMAX.  One of the final scenes (watching a lower-Manhattan size chunk of ice break off the Jakobshavn Glacier in Greenland, the largest such calving event ever caught on film) is breathtaking on the regular big-screen, it'd be astronomical on an IMAX screen.

Travis, I honestly have little idea when it'll be available or in what formats.  It's not even released in theaters, much less making its way through the internet just yet.  I plan to pick it up on DVD when available... if I see it online anywhere down the line, I'll be sure to bump the thread.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, a DVD would work. Thanks.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 6
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw this that say National Geographic has picked up the TV rights and is planning a theatrical release

http://www.indiewire.com/article/national-geographic-takes-chasing-ice

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2012, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 20 2012, 11:55 am)
Saw this that say National Geographic has picked up the TV rights and is planning a theatrical release

http://www.indiewire.com/article/national-geographic-takes-chasing-ice

That's perfect. :)  There couldn't be a better organization than National Geographic for handling the distribution and post-production of that film.  IMO anyway.  And it sounds like it'll likely end up on TV after all, Travis.

A bit more, from the link above:

When acclaimed photographer James Balog asked, “How can one take a picture of climate change?” his attention was immediately drawn to ice. Soon he was asked to do a cover story for National Geographic on glaciers that became “the most popular and well-read piece in the magazine during the last five years” according to Editor Dennis Dimick.  But for Balog, that story marked the beginning of a much larger and longer-term project that would reach epic proportions.

The documentary, which Harry Potter director and producer Chris Columbus has called “the most important film of the year,” follows Balog to the Arctic as he attempts to capture images of the Earth's changing climate.

“This has been a passion project for the entire team for the past 5 years, and to announce this deal following our premiere at Sundance is a dream come true,” said director Jeff Orlowski.  “We’re so glad that National Geographic is joining our team and helping to shine a light on James’s powerful imagery.

In this breathtakingly beautiful documentary, filmmaker Orlowski follows the indomitable photographer as he brings to life the Extreme Ice Survey (EIS)—a massive photography project that placed 30 time-lapse cameras across three continents to gather visual evidence of the Earth’s melting ice. Chasing Ice tells the story of a visionary artist who, in facing his own mortality, bequeaths the magic of photography and the adventure of the expedition to a new generation and captures the most visible sign of climate change on the planet today.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8
Snowpeak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The EIS is advertised in many places at DIA
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2012, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Snowpeak @ Feb. 21 2012, 1:19 pm)
The EIS is advertised in many places at DIA

Yeah, in the terminal shuttles, it's been there a number of years.

Their imagery hasn't been updated there in quite some time though, and the video equipment there isn't very good.  I still highly suggest seeing the film. :)

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A new trailer for the film, being released to broader audiences soon. I still highly recommend it, even if just for the visual feast, if not for the broader message.

Trailer link: Chasing Ice Trailer

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the heads up!  I'd love to see it; will keep an eye out for it.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! The trailer alone is powerful and breathtaking. I can't wait to see it. I can see why you highly recommend it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would love to see it.  As my wife has said about similar films, stories, and experiences in the past "It's beautiful to look at, but depressing to hear what they say [about the environment]."
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An interview with the film's subject, Jim Balog, on a recent episode of the Bill Moyers show.  He gets into the reasons for the project and explains some of the questions and motivations behind it:

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 15
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2012, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for bumping this thread...I missed it in September somehow.  Looking forward to seeing the film, it sounds excellent!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The movie premiers today a couple theaters, most notably in New York City, and next week in other places.

Chasing Ice Release Schedule

Unfortunately the showing isn't very broad yet (certainly nothing compared to Hollywood crap like "Gone Fishing" and "Here comes the Boom").  However, if you'd like to request a screening in your area, go to this link and submit a request.  The Chasing Ice producers can ask local theaters to show it if they can prove there's a local demand for it.  Or even better yet, call your local theater yourself and ask them to show it.

Here's the trailer (finally found a forum-compatible version on Vimeo):

The awareness seems urgent to me, being a glaciologist myself.  We're planning another field campaign right now to go back to Greenland next Spring.  Our team is having internal debates about logistics and instrumentation, since everything is changing so damned fast that none of our old safe-assumptions are held anymore, and our stuff can hardly keep up.  The Air National Guard Hercules planes we're trying to rely upon may not be able to extract our team if--like last year--the surface ice is so slushy at Spring's end that the plane can't land and take off (used to never be a problem, but it took us 13 take-off attempts last year because the snow was slushy when it "should" have still been frozen solid).  It's accelerating, alarmingly, and people should know about it.  This movie has a greater potential to inform people than anything else I know (as most folks don't keep up with the week-to-week scientific journal papers).

Anyhoo, just a heads-up.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me want to see!

Rumi~the ice~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 09 2012, 10:35 am)
Me want to see!

Rumi~the ice~Dude

Varsity Theater in Seattle, next week. :)  Just sayin'.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 19
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will be at the Portland showing sometime next week.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 20
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tickets go on sale in my neck of the woods soon (today?).  We're planning to go see it.  Hopefully we actually do it.
 Post Number: 21
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool, it's here in DC. Looks like I've got a movie to see.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 22
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool beans - I've been a fan of Jim's since this article about photographing the Stagg Tree appeared in Nat Geo Adventure 8 years ago

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0402/exclusive.html

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 23
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Nov. 09 2012, 3:27 pm)

I think it's only here for a week.  I've got to get on the stick.  (OOC)
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 09 2012, 2:50 pm)

The Chasing Ice site doesn't list specific showtimes, and there's a decent chance that they might not have the full schedules updated for each theater.  If you're interested in seeing it you'd do well to call the theater to see what dates and times the show is playing.

I plan to see it again on Sunday Dec. 2 when it's screening at the AGU (American Geophysical Union) conference in San Francisco.  Jim Balog and others from the movie will be there for a Q & A after the screening, which should be nice.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 09 2012, 4:50 pm)

Anybody want to do a DC meetup? Dinner and a movie?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 26
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Nov. 09 2012, 9:19 pm)

(reubenstump @ Nov. 09 2012, 4:50 pm)

Anybody want to do a DC meetup? Dinner and a movie?

I think I'm already obligated w/family.  Will have to check.
 Post Number: 27
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GB, thanks for the heads-up.  I love these kind of shows.  I always watch the Warren Miller shows on TV.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 28
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome, GoBlueHiker, thanks .. definitely one to add to the list. I'd love to see it when it's around. Thanks again.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 29
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 09 2012, 3:11 pm)

(reubenstump @ Nov. 09 2012, 2:50 pm)

The Chasing Ice site doesn't list specific showtimes, and there's a decent chance that they might not have the full schedules updated for each theater.  If you're interested in seeing it you'd do well to call the theater to see what dates and times the show is playing.

I plan to see it again on Sunday Dec. 2 when it's screening at the AGU (American Geophysical Union) conference in San Francisco.  Jim Balog and others from the movie will be there for a Q & A after the screening, which should be nice.

Mike, is that showing at the AGU going to be open to non-members?  I'd like to see it.  But in any case I'll send the DH, even if I can't go.  

Don't forget to get hold of us when you hit town!  I think your AGU overlaps with my CSBA conference, also downtown SF (Moscone Center).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 14 2012, 9:52 am)
Mike, is that showing at the AGU going to be open to non-members?  I'd like to see it.  But in any case I'll send the DH, even if I can't go.  

Don't forget to get hold of us when you hit town!  I think your AGU overlaps with my CSBA conference, also downtown SF (Moscone Center).

The showing is for conference attendees only, but I could probably score you a guest pass for the conference if you're interested :) (guest passes aren't free though, unfortunately).  That would get you in.

What dates are your conference?  AGU is in the Moscone Center as well... Dec 2-7th.  If we're wandering around the same complex of buildings, we should definitely meet up for lunch (at least).

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
46 replies since Feb. 20 2012, 12:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Chasing Ice"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions