2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "Chasing Ice", 2012 Sundance Winner (Documentaries)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

looks like we will be going to see it on Sunday at 5 in PDX.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 14 2012, 12:38 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 14 2012, 9:52 am)
Mike, is that showing at the AGU going to be open to non-members?  I'd like to see it.  But in any case I'll send the DH, even if I can't go.  

Don't forget to get hold of us when you hit town!  I think your AGU overlaps with my CSBA conference, also downtown SF (Moscone Center).

The showing is for conference attendees only, but I could probably score you a guest pass for the conference if you're interested :) (guest passes aren't free though, unfortunately).  That would get you in.

What dates are your conference?  AGU is in the Moscone Center as well... Dec 2-7th.  If we're wandering around the same complex of buildings, we should definitely meet up for lunch (at least).

Mine's the 28th to 1st.  Guess they can't fit both at the same time.  

It looks like there's a showing in SF a few days earlier.  I'll see if we can catch that.  If a guest pass is needed so I can see it, I think the DH can get one--I'm assuming he's paid his membership this year :p

We can have lunch or something anyway (or dinner).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 33
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 1:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw this today, and it was very powerful, yet depressing.  I figured that even if i gave my entire wealth and lived in poverty the rest of my days, it would not make any difference.  Too many people just are too stupid or too crazy to see the truth when it hits them between the eyes.

Photographic evidence is compelling.  I also like the graph from 800,000 years of ice climate research.

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 34
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ol-zeke, if that's your tale on it (which I get), I highly recommend watching at least the first episode of Earth: The Operators' Manual (the links under "Watch the Episodes"), produced by PBS and hosted by Richard Alley (a glaciologist at Penn State).  It gives me great optimism that we can do something, although it'd take some action and a willingness to divert from the current status quo.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 35
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 19 2012, 1:19 am)
Too many people just are too stupid or too crazy

You could have just shortened that to "too many people". Even if everyone tried to live sustainably, our resouces would be pressed to support 7B people.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 36
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh wow.  I didn't realize this was already playing in Boston.  I'm going to try to go see it tomorrow night.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 37
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, so I know we all have to do our part.  There were 5 adults that raised my 1 daughter.  That is what I did to reduce the population.

I conserve gas by driving a hybrid.    I have reduced my waste and my electric usage.  I think I am doing OK so far, but...  

--------------

Post Number: 38
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from seeing the movie tonight. Really, really good. Thank you for the heads up!

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 39
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally got around to see the movie tonight.   I was out of town when it was in Tampa the first time.  This week there are three showings of the movie in the Tampa area.  I went to one that was sponsored by the Union of Concerned Scientist and the Sierra Club.  Prior to the movie James Balog gave an introduction to the movie and answered some audience questions via Skype.  

If anyone has yet to see it I would recommend see it and take a friend or two, especial someone who is still questioning whether climate change is a reality.  In addition to some great photography, including the time lapse shots, the way the information was presented was in a format that would be very understandable for those that are not familiar with the issues or do not have a science background.  

The issue of climate change and sea level rise are very real for those of us that live near the Florida coast.  A small rise in sea level will result in considerable damage from flooding and an increase salt water intrusion and loss of our fresh water drinking supply.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 40

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Starting April 19 (this Friday), the movie is showing on the National Geographic Channel, on the "Night of Exploration" segment, Fridays at 8pm ET.

"Chasing Ice" | National Geographic Channel

Just FYI, for interested folks who didn't get to see it in the theaters.  I plan to pick up DVD's when they're available, as it's a subject near to me.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 41
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bump

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 42
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw it today.  I expected soft science and pretty pictures.  What I got was a large dose of Jim Balog's ego.  The brief glimpses of the presentations he gives appeared to be much more informative.
 Post Number: 43
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those (like me!) who won't find Chasing Ice in a theater, and maybe don't get the NatGeo channel, I stumbled across a 2009 Nova program called Extreme Ice on Netflix: http://tinyurl.com/ck34oyf

It's a streaming video, certainly shows compelling footage of all the ice changes going on,...and I feel I avoided adding some carbon to my footprint by staying home and watching it on my Mac.

--------------
 Post Number: 44

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The movie is available on DVD pre-order now.

"Chasing Ice" pre-order on Amazon

It'll be released this September.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 45
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome! GoBlue, thanks for bumping this or I never would've known about it. LonesomeGeorge will love it!

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 46
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Netflix has it, and I saw it on one of the nature/discovery channels on TV.  I would also, highly, recommend Nova's Earth from Space.  Both of these shows are amazing, just amazing.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 47
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad the show won the honor.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
46 replies since Feb. 20 2012, 12:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Chasing Ice"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions