2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hit  By Yellow Yellow< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CaptJunebug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 6:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiked into the Adirondack High Peaks yesterday and set up a spike camp. Was looking forward to climbing Wrights Peak the next morning on a picture perfect clear blue day.
Got all settled in after making a freeze dried meal 100 yards away from my camp and made sure all foods, toiletries, toothpaste, bug spray were in my Bearikade Container 100 yards away and my entire area was sterile due to heavy black bear activity in the Marcy Dam area.
The assistant ranger stopped by around 6:30 PM and warned me that Yellow Yellow and her 3 cubs were in the area and to batton down the hatches. As I was laying in my REI Quartedome T1 tent I was wondering if she was close by me. Turns out I did't have long to wait! Around 10:15 PM I hear heavy foot noise right outside my tent followed by the pitter patter of smaller feet. Although armed with police grade pepper spray and a Glock 23, 40 Caliber with 180 grain Golden Saber bullets ( 1 in the hole and a full 13 round clip plus and extra within reach), I felt a surge of adrenaline and the hair rose on the back of my neck. I can hear her sniff my tent and the immediate area. All at once the tent pole nearest my head bends in 12 inches and I shift to the opposite end fearing the worst. In the next moment I hear them shuffle off to the next camp on the search for food. Discretion being the better part of valor, I stayed in my tent till dawn. Upon inspection, I see that my tent pole is bent beyond repair. Thinking that the worst was behind me, I get ready to start my hike up Wrights Peaks and grab my Source water bladder that was hanging in the tree, full of plain water, to get me to the top. Alas it was not meant to be as I view the puncture wounds from her teeth in the bottom and the last of the water leaking out.
That was all she wrote since I can hike with out a lot of things, however water isn't one of them. I would like to thank the idiots in the video, and the many others before them, for training Yellow Yellow. Looks like I will be emptying my water bladder at night and placing it in my Bearikade Container from now on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWjDMNzk2U

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/bears.php

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
“To live for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am sorry to hear of Yellow Yellow and her cubs learning such behavior.  That it affected your plans for the hike is a disappointment, also.  Maybe next time.

On a different note, this is a family friendly site and some might object to your expletive.  Maybe a few cartoon symbols, #@* ,in place of a few letters next time.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's water everywhere in the ADK... why leave?

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear of your misadventure.

Did you check out the new crossing over Marcy Brook?  Any pictures of it?

Next time you might want to camp at the campsite on the Wright-Algonquin trail, just above 3300 feet and just before you cross the McIntyre Brook.  It is up an embankment to your left as you are headed toward Algonquin and Wright.  The Marcy Dam bears don't usually go up there with all the easy pickings at Marcy Dam.

Several years ago my son and I took one of his friends for a climb up Algonquin and Wright.  We went in on a Friday, camped at the McIntyre Brook campsite and did a climb of Algonquin and Wright on Saturday, then went back to the camp for Saturday night.

McIntyre Brook is about 200 to 300 yards from the campsite. Most people cook at the brook to avoid attracting bears into the camp.  

When we got back to camp from making dinner there was a person in a tent frying bacon and maple syrup.  I bet you could smell it all the way back at Marcy Dam.

I went over to talk to him about not cooking in camp.  When I mentioned bears he said that he moved from the Marcy Dam area because the bears were bothering him all night.  No wonder.

We had a horrific thunder storm that night with torrential down pours.  The lightening kept my mind off bears.

The next morning the camp was a mud pit.  We were nice and dry in our hammocks, although we had to trudge through the mud to break camp.  Mr. maple syrup and bacon was floating in his tent.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jul. 09 2012, 8:58 pm)

MacIntyre Brook is the last certain water on the climb up Algonquin.  In a normal summer there is usually a small trickle of water just past the trial to Wright, but in this year's dry weather that probably doesn't exist.

It's about 2 miles and 2000 feet of elevation gain from the brook to Algonquin.  Going up Wright as a side trip adds about another 1 mile round trip.  

A 5 mile round trip without water in one of the hottest July's on record would surely get one's butt chewed out by a ranger.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jul. 09 2012, 8:58 pm)

What would you suggest I put the water in? I only carry the Source bladder for hydration ( the one with all the holes in it ). The only other container I had was a GSI Halulite Minimalist; holds about .6 of a liter ( cup and half ) with only a sippy cup top.
I would have to stop and filter water every quarter mile plus there is only one stream at the begining of the trail to Wrights Peak, otherwise its a dry trail. Wouldn't be a smart move to hike the 6 miles without water on a warm, sunny day plus another 3 out with a 30# backpack.

--------------
“To live for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.”
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2012, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 09 2012, 9:06 pm)
Sorry to hear of your misadventure.

Did you check out the new crossing over Marcy Brook?  Any pictures of it?

Next time you might want to camp at the campsite on the Wright-Algonquin trail, just above 3300 feet and just before you cross the McIntyre Brook.  It is up an embankment to your left as you are headed toward Algonquin and Wright.  The Marcy Dam bears don't usually go up there with all the easy pickings at Marcy Dam.

Several years ago my son and I took one of his friends for a climb up Algonquin and Wright.  We went in on a Friday, camped at the McIntyre Brook campsite and did a climb of Algonquin and Wright on Saturday, then went back to the camp for Saturday night.

McIntyre Brook is about 200 to 300 yards from the campsite. Most people cook at the brook to avoid attracting bears into the camp.  

When we got back to camp from making dinner there was a person in a tent frying bacon and maple syrup.  I bet you could smell it all the way back at Marcy Dam.

I went over to talk to him about not cooking in camp.  When I mentioned bears he said that he moved from the Marcy Dam area because the bears were bothering him all night.  No wonder.

We had a horrific thunder storm that night with torrential down pours.  The lightening kept my mind off bears.

The next morning the camp was a mud pit.  We were nice and dry in our hammocks, although we had to trudge through the mud to break camp.  Mr. maple syrup and bacon was floating in his tent.

Thanks Nogods!

The new bridge is great! Didn't take any pictures since there was a gang of New Jersyites crawling all over it screaming and yelling like drunken indians I and wanted to grab my fav tent site ASAP!

I'm real familiar with that tent site you mentioned but at my age and damaged knees the extra distance is pushing my envelope with a 30# pack. I hike in from the South Meadow Road so it's 2.8 just to Marcy Dam.

I'm of the opinion that you can run but you can't hide in that part of the High Peaks so I chaulk this up to experience and I'm just thankfull I didn't have to dump a clip or two in Yellow Yellow to get her off my leg!

--------------
 Post Number: 8
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No Ziplock bags?

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 9
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good thing Yellow Yellow is shy of humans and wasn't hungry for humans that night. Glad you made it home ok.

I am new to backpacking, but not to hiking and it never occurred to me to only carry one water vessel. Is this customary? Dry hikes I carry a 3L bladder and numerous bottles.

You were loaded for bear ammo wise yourself. I only carry spray in bear country as it should work on freaky people too. Why do you carry so many bullets?

Sorry if these questions are too personal, but maybe I'm playing it too safe on one hand, and being naive on the other.
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Using an air horn, or proper bear spray would have been a step towards hazing the bears. Negative reinforcement might save one of those bears lives. Considering your state of mind, based on reading a number of your posts, maybe you should find a little tamer place to hike. Hiking in wilderness calls for different tools and a different mind set than what a cop needs walking a beat.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 10 2012, 7:21 am)
Considering your state of mind, based on reading a number of your posts,

I kinda caught that too.  Just last week he was hazing another poster here in an identical situation... their food was fine but a bear broke their water cup/bottle with a quick bite.  CaptJuneBug quickly pounced on how "worthless" their bear-protection was (despite the fact the cup was left outside and everything inside was untouched).

Quick to judge and slow to learn, I guess.  Oh well.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jul. 10 2012, 8:20 am)
No Ziplock bags?

Yes, I had 2 zip lock gallon sized plastic bags that I use for storing garbage. One was used and was clean and the other was new with a fresh eaten, opened Backpackers Pantry Ti Pad pouch in it with several wrappers from organic granola bars also sliming it up. It is against the law in the High Peaks in the Adirondacks to wash dishes so I had nothing to clean it with. Second, I would not trust either bag from leaking while I was hiking up a very rocky, difficult trail and possibly finding myself waterless on a hot, sunny peak many miles away from water if they leaked. I thought too it would require me to constantly check every few yards to make sure they are not leaking while trying to "enjoy" my hike. Plus, after having my tent semi trashed, coming inches away from 4 bears and having my semi new Source WXP 3Liter bladder destroyed, I had the good sense to know when I've been "one upped" by nature and make a safe retreat home.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 10 2012, 9:21 am)
Using an air horn, or proper bear spray would have been a step towards hazing the bears. Negative reinforcement might save one of those bears lives. Considering your state of mind, based on reading a number of your posts, maybe you should find a little tamer place to hike. Hiking in wilderness calls for different tools and a different mind set than what a cop needs walking a beat.

You may want to read the links in the posts about hazing and negitive reinforcement with the bear in question here. Second, I find it disingenuous that you could possibly know what was going through my mind while inches away from 4 black bears while I was pinned in a one person tent in pitch black conditions on my knees alone while it was collapsing in my face. Easy to sound so smug and be the arm chair monday morning quarterback typing from the safety of your home.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 10 2012, 9:29 am)

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 10 2012, 7:21 am)
Considering your state of mind, based on reading a number of your posts,

I kinda caught that too.  Just last week he was hazing another poster here in an identical situation... their food was fine but a bear broke their water cup/bottle with a quick bite.  CaptJuneBug quickly pounced on how "worthless" their bear-protection was (despite the fact the cup was left outside and everything inside was untouched).

Quick to judge and slow to learn, I guess.  Oh well.

Pounce? Hazing? Someone has an opinion backed up with facts and you don't like it sounds like just a personal dislike masked in passive agressiveness. The poster said he left traces of tea in it which is sure fire lure for bears. My bladder was scrubbed meticulously cleane and filled with crystal clear plain water, hardly an attractant for bears. Yes, I did learn the these bears we have here in the Adirondacks are not ordinary thanks to the decades of training by people; especially like the two clowns from NYC in the video.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CaptJunebug @ Jul. 10 2012, 9:43 am)

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 10 2012, 9:21 am)

You may want to read the links in the posts about hazing and negitive reinforcement with the bear in question here. Second, I find it disingenuous that you could possibly know what was going through my mind while inches away from 4 black bears while I was pinned in a one person tent in pitch black conditions on my knees alone while it was collapsing in my face. Easy to sound so smug and be the arm chair monday morning quarterback typing from the safety of your home.

Many of us have experienced similar situations on numerous occasions. My bear experience is long and storied, and includes three species of bear (four if you are a splitter with griz and browns).

You were afraid before you were on the trail. Nobody faults you for being afraid in your tent. I have given you good advice. Ignore it at your own risk.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 10 2012, 10:21 am)
You were afraid before you were on the trail. Nobody faults you for being afraid in your tent. I have given you good advice. Ignore it at your own risk.

Again, your being totally disingenuous. I fear nothing in the woods in the Adirondacks that I have called home for 55 years. Second, at no time was I afraid while having that group of black bears inches from my face or any other time before that. Aware, concerned and preoccupied was my mindset. Fear tends to paralyze and make one hesitant neither which affected me during that brief encounter. Somehow I have made through life without your "advice"; something tells me I risk nothing by following my own instincts and protocols.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CaptJunebug @ Jul. 10 2012, 10:36 am)
at no time was I afraid while having that group of black bears inches from my face

Shoot, I'd be afraid.  Seems foolish not to to. Not terrified maybe,, but a situation like that would certainly instill a certain amount of fear in me.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Again, your being totally disingenuous. I fear nothing in the woods in the Adirondacks that I have called home for 55 years.

Yet you go out with a .40S&W firearm and police spray?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jul. 10 2012, 11:01 am)

Again, your being totally disingenuous. I fear nothing in the woods in the Adirondacks that I have called home for 55 years.

I don't fear the roads when I go out driving, yet I buckle my seat belt, make sure my car insurance bill is paid, drive sober and avoid reckless out of control drivers.

What's your point?

--------------
 Post Number: 20
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CaptJunebug @ Jul. 10 2012, 11:08 am)

(tomas @ Jul. 10 2012, 11:01 am)

I don't fear the roads when I go out driving, yet I buckle my seat belt, make sure my car insurance bill is paid, drive sober and avoid reckless out of control drivers.

What's your point?

As a female hiking solo in the Smokies I don't carry a gun, but if I did I would not require 14 bullets to hit my mark. That bear spray had better work! :)
 Post Number: 21
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've turned around for lesser reasons than a leaky water container. However, duct tape would have certainly worked well enough to complete the hike. I'd think that part of being prepared would include a few essentials. Most hikers I know wouldn't even consider venturing out without duct tape.

As far as carrying a gun and "police grade pepper spray" for protection, I'm not going to make a judgement call. If that is what it takes to stem your fear then that's up to you. One thing though, "police grade pepper spray" is not formulated or packaged to address a charging bear. You may want to rethink that and go ahead and shell out the 25 to 50 bucks for proper bear spray.

I will make this one comment about carrying guns while hiking. One has to ask his self, "Do I live in fear so much that I need a gun to handle it?" Other than fear, I really can't think of a reason to have a gun in the back country. Wits will keep you alive much better.

Does this mean I wouldn't carry the appropriate weapon in certain areas like remote places in Alaska? No, it  doesnt' mean that at all. If I were to put myself in that situation, I would certainly have a rifle. I'd be scared poopless. But, in 99 percent of the backcountry in the lower 48 a gun just isn't needed. Unless, you're afraid of...something.

What's my experience? Well, I've been solo backpacking southern Arizona for over 30 years, including hiking camping within a mile of the notorious border with Mexico with all it's "traffic" and also in areas where bears (black bears) are abundant. Not once have I ever reasoned out having a gun.

In most cases, feeling the need to have a gun is "all in your mind". Perhaps, CaptJunebug, fear has taken control of your senses.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jul. 10 2012, 11:43 am)
I've turned around for lesser reasons than a leaky water container. However, duct tape would have certainly worked well enough to complete the hike. I'd think that part of being prepared would include a few essentials. Most hikers I know wouldn't even consider venturing out without duct tape.

As far as carrying a gun and "police grade pepper spray" for protection, I'm not going to make a judgement call. If that is what it takes to stem your fear then that's up to you. One thing though, "police grade pepper spray" is not formulated or packaged to address a charging bear. You may want to rethink that and go ahead and shell out the 25 to 50 bucks for proper bear spray.

I will make this one comment about carrying guns while hiking. One has to ask his self, "Do I live in fear so much that I need a gun to handle it?" Other than fear, I really can't think of a reason to have a gun in the back country. Wits will keep you alive much better.

Does this mean I wouldn't carry the appropriate weapon in certain areas like remote places in Alaska? No, it  doesnt' mean that at all. If I were to put myself in that situation, I would certainly have a rifle. I'd be scared poopless. But, in 99 percent of the backcountry in the lower 48 a gun just isn't needed. Unless, you're afraid of...something.

What's my experience? Well, I've been solo backpacking southern Arizona for over 30 years, including hiking camping within a mile of the notorious border with Mexico with all it's "traffic" and also in areas where bears (black bears) are abundant. Not once have I ever reasoned out having a gun.

In most cases, feeling the need to have a gun is "all in your mind". Perhaps, CaptJunebug, fear has taken control of your senses.

First, if it was a situation where I had no choice, I would have duct tape the bag and hoped for the best. I was under no such emergency and can easily come back and hike again without the great potential of leakage while the bladder is strapped tightly inside my pack with duct tape. Second, because of medical reasons, I need to consume a lot of water and there was no need to push that envelope on a hot, sunny day on a dry ridge/mountain.

The fear thing; I guess if you keep repeating it over and over and over your hoping to convince me that is what motivates me to carry those items? Good luck with that.

New York restricts the import of bear/pepper spray so obtaining it is extremely difficult. You can't just order it up and have it UPS'd to your home in NY. Otherwise I would have it.

What works for you is fine with me however the post was what I thought was an interesting story about a very unique bear that I had a very close encounter with and thought I would  share that. The offtrack ramble about my "fear" because I exercise my right to carry a legal firearm I don't get and seems to be some kind of hatred a lot of folks have towards firearms since these wild, over the top accusations that I am some out of control, fear crazed, wild eyed guy with a gun keep cropping up constantly. After rereading the 10mm vs, 44 mag thread, seems lots of folk are just projecting their fear!

--------------
 Post Number: 23
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CaptJunebug @ Jul. 10 2012, 9:11 am)

(desert dweller @ Jul. 10 2012, 11:43 am)

First, if it was a situation where I had no choice, I would have duct tape the bag and hoped for the best. I was under no such emergency and can easily come back and hike again without the great potential of leakage while the bladder is strapped tightly inside my pack with duct tape. Second, because of medical reasons, I need to consume a lot of water and there was no need to push that envelope on a hot, sunny day on a dry ridge/mountain.

The fear thing; I guess if you keep repeating it over and over and over your hoping to convince me that is what motivates me to carry those items? Good luck with that.

New York restricts the import of bear/pepper spray so obtaining it is extremely difficult. You can't just order it up and have it UPS'd to your home in NY. Otherwise I would have it.

What works for you is fine with me however the post was what I thought was an interesting story about a very unique bear that I had a very close encounter with and thought I would  share that. The offtrack ramble about my "fear" because I exercise my right to carry a legal firearm I don't get and seems to be some kind of hatred a lot of folks have towards firearms since these wild, over the top accusations that I am some out of control, fear crazed, wild eyed guy with a gun keep cropping up constantly. After rereading the 10mm vs, 44 mag thread, seems lots of folk are just projecting their fear!

I certainly don't hate guns or have a fear of them. Having been in the Army, I've been trained and had to qualify on them. I chose to not have guns as a part of my lifestyle.

As far as projecting fear, ask yourself, "Do I carry a gun while backpacking because of fear?" or "Do I not have fear because I carry a gun?"

Do what you want. From what I've read and hear about, people who carry a gun will tend to find a reason to use it. (Think about Zimmerman killing Martin in Florida.)

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 24
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would of shot it in the foot to scare it away.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jul. 10 2012, 12:21 pm)
Do what you want. From what I've read and hear about, people who carry a gun will tend to find a reason to use it. (Think about Zimmerman killing Martin in Florida.)

WOW! That's a hell of a statement!

80 million law abiding gun owners in the US are "tending" to use our guns like Zimmerman?

What are you reading????

OK, way off topic. Just thought Yellow Yellow is a special bear and wanted to share my encounter with her.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 10 2012, 12:23 pm)

And then shoot one of her babies in the face to send the message home. People just don't know how to handle bears. Idiots.

Pepper spray that bear cub between the eyes with my 45 cal.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 27
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jul. 10 2012, 12:51 pm)

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 10 2012, 12:23 pm)

And then shoot one of her babies in the face to send the message home. People just don't know how to handle bears. Idiots.

Pepper spray that bear cub between the eyes with my 45 cal.

I was thinking about taking one of the bear cubs hostage. Then make the call using one of those devices that the guy in Saw uses to hide his voice. I'm pretty sure Yellow Yellow killed your father.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Treadwell wasn't afraid.  Just stupid.  Stupid people my think they are brave, but I always wonder whether they were groaners or screamers while they were being mauled and eaten.

And then there are the fools with maps and compasses in their packs - all afraid of getting lost even before they have stepped on the trail.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CaptJunebug, I have read each of your 115 posts and rolled my eyes at most of them, not unlike a number of others here. I don't doubt that you have endeavored to be very well prepared, and that you have put some effort into studying the subject. I applaud your composure in the tent, you didn't start shooting. Simple question, outside of a shootout, why would you need to carry so much ammo? Have I missed out on all of the gang violence or trail pirates in that area? Some of us were operating under the assumption that you were rather young and inexperienced. Again, get your experience close to town. Build some experience before you take on the very real risks of venturing into the wilderness. I am concerned that you are a risk to wildlife and other hikers alike. That having been said, you deserve an "atta boy" for knowing when to hike out.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 10 2012, 2:39 pm)

Treadwell wasn't afraid.  Just stupid.  Stupid people my think they are brave, but I always wonder whether they were groaners or screamers while they were being mauled and eaten.

And then there are the fools with maps and compasses in their packs - all afraid of getting lost even before they have stepped on the trail.

What are you even talking about? When it comes to fear, you are one of the biggest fear mongers on this forum. You are packing out of a life long fear of dogs. BEAR SPRAY, it will cure most of what scares ya. That thing about germs... you should just keep washing your hands and change your underwear frequently.   :p Curing neurosis requires professional help.

--------------
53 replies since Jul. 09 2012, 6:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hit  By Yellow Yellow
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions