2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 912345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lizsbaby injured in fall,, don't tell her to jump off of a brigde< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 8:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On Wed, Sept 5, Lizsbaby was on the job covering a community event in Lanesboro, MN when she fell 24 foot from the railing of a bridge on a popular rail trail. She was on the railing to photograph a procession of senior citizens that were riding in wagons pulled by tractors. There wasn't a lot of clearance, and when one of the wagons swerved towards her, she moved quickly to get her leg out of the way and lost her balance, falling to the rocky stream bed below. Her injuries were severe, including multiple cuts and fractures and possible internal injuries. She landed face down in shallow water, so we are fortunate not to have lost our good friend.

We had met up at Yellow River State Forest for some camping and hiking over the Labor Day Weekend. The weekend was so much fun, I decided to spend a few additional days in the Bluff Country, to visit some nature preserves and Indian mounds in the area. I have enjoyed the company as much as the country.

The vascular surgeon was just in, and they are going to do a procedure to place two stints in her aorta to repair two transections. This is the Mayo Clinic, so the care could not be any better, her prospects are very good, but she is one lucky girl to be alive today.

I know how many friends she has on the forum, I will try to keep you informed.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh my gosh! How awful! Please let her know I am thinking about her and wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

Please do keep us posted.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 3
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh my
How is she doing ?

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 4
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just saw her picture on facebook.  She is lucky to have survived - that was a pretty bad ffall!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 5
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My thoughts and prayers are for her and a rapid recovery. Thank goodness that she is in good hands. Please keep us posted on her condition. Life is so fragile.
 Post Number: 6
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More questions - what are her injuries? How serious? How long do they think she will be in the hospital?

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 7
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! I'm so glad she survived. Speedy recovery to her.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 8
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where is it on FB ? I must have missed that one, she was active all last week.

Healing vibes sent...

edit: found the fb posts, ouch !!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you see her, tell her she's in our prayers.
 Post Number: 10
boogie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best regards. Speedy and full recovery in our hearts for her
 Post Number: 11
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So glad she survived and is in good hands. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. Heal quickly Lizbaby.
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She is in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds as though she has some pretty significant injuries and is very lucky to be alive considering the distance she fell.
 Post Number: 13
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If anybody is in direct contact with her, please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 14
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for letting us know.  Prayers for her complete recovery.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 15
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Sep. 06 2012, 9:32 pm)
I just saw her picture on facebook.  She is lucky to have survived - that was a pretty bad ffall!

Same here. Good gosh, man. Prayers and thoughts.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Prayers for a good recovery both in body and spirit.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aie!  Best thoughts and virtual hugs!  Glad she's got good care, here's hoping for a complete recovery.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 18
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wishing her a speedy recovery!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 19
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thoughts and prayers headed her way. I hope the  doctors can keep her pain under control, as her body heals from that horrific fall.
 Post Number: 20
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never met her, but she offered to let me hike a group that she was going with. Must be a great person. Any updates?
 Post Number: 21
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear she will be alright.

That is some fall.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 12:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad you let us know Eco, I missed it on FB.

Poor gal! But it's good to know she's in good hands. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 1:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am posting while she is in surgery. There have been a lot of developments since the vascular team decided to operate ASAP. The ocular team ran tests to determine what impact the surgery would have on her eye, so they ran a series of tests.

Her left eye was pretty seriously damaged, with the ocular orbit fractured, and multiple lacerations around the eye. There is blood behind the eye which is slowly draining through the area where the fracture is located. They will not be able to repair the fracture until the swelling goes down and the eye itself heals. It is difficult for her to open that eye, but she can see with it.

She has broke three ribs, but did not puncture a lung.

She broke the metacarpal bone in her right thumb, but it does not appear to be dislocated.

There may be some damage to one foot.

The aorta tore, nearly all the way through the artery wall, just downstream of the left subclavian artery and just a couple of inches downstream of that. There is some risk that the procedure could result in paralysis, a failure of the artery wall would be fatal.

She likely aspirated some water, and they are being especially cautious of her lungs.

There are lots of scratches and bruises and she hurts like hell, but still has a sense of humor about it all. Her courage and positive attitude has been an inspiration. She appreciates the thoughts, prayers and comments that everyone has made. I hope to have news of how the surgery went in about another half hour.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 24
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 1:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spent six weeks in a motel with my mother in law In the Mayo clinic one summer. They were incredibly competent and caring so I have hope that she will have an excellent team helping her. Scary but a good place to be if you have to be hurt like that. Thanks for staying in touch here.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 25
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 2:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, Lizbaby! You are lucky to be alive. The pain must be outta this world! I am so sorry for her and am praying for full recovery and strength to get through all this! Hang in there Girl!!!!

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 26
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 3:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, so sorry. Prayer sent for a quick recovery...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 27
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 3:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the update Eco.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 28
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 5:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eco just called and Lizsbaby is out of surgery an doing well...!!!  Great news...

Respectfully,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 5:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's been a long night here at the Mayo, but at 4am ct, Lisa was responding to questions and was taken off of the ventilator. She is breathing on her own, and is able to move her arms and legs, fingers and toes. She is none too happy about all of the tubes and having to lie still, but she is going to be just fine.

The stints have strengthened the walls of her descending aorta, where it was torn in two places by the impact of her fall. She has a button to give herself pain medicine and using it from time to time. They sucked a lot of muddy creek water out of her lungs. She has made a big step towards her recovery.

Thanks to everyone who is maintaining a virtual bedside vigil.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 6:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, that's an awful turn of events.
My prayers are with you.

I do believe I might have the bridge photographed on
my bicycling website.  I have the complete 42 mile
trail photographed. Is it the bridge right off the Main St
in Lanesboro?  If So the photograph is located here
http://picasaweb.google.com/isawtma....9559746

Move the arrow at the right edge of the photo and you can
see the river below

My best wishes for a good recovery, Liz

regards from me, Todd aka Tman

My Bicycling website is located at
http://sites.google.com/site/tmansbicycletrails/home
249 replies since Sep. 06 2012, 8:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 912345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lizsbaby injured in fall,
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions