2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's your other hobby?, ie what do you do besides backpacking?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 1:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just curious....been backpacking since I was a teenager.  I also ski, bike and surf.  But my other love is horses! Horses and backpacking are my 2 biggest obsessions.
Watching swimswithtrout's video made me wonder....how many of you have obsessions as strong as backpacking...?:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 2:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 4:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, for one...Holiday decor...

I try to maintain moderation, but my moderation is a bit extreme for most people.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 6:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sex, drugs, rock and roll.

Seriously: golf, photography, fishing.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 6:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Surfing, taking road trips, gardening, supporting the troops/Veterans, and swimming.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 6
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the nom de guerre of onepaddlejunkie, it probably obvious what I like to do.  I love paddling whitewater and if I can’t find any of that, I’ll paddle flat water.  I also have a lot of fun gold prospecting.  It’s just another couple of hobbies that fill up the gear shed.
 Post Number: 7
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kayaking (sea kayak) and photography for me.  I would love to add horseback riding to that list, just don't have the time or the money right now!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sailing, fishing, skiing, astronomy, etc.
 Post Number: 9
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wood working, canoeing, cycling, my Koi pond, BBQ/smoking, Scotch, Cigars.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 10
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hunting,fishing,exercise,everything wife and daughter.
 Post Number: 11
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

kayaking, yoga, watching college basketball.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 12
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Adventure Riding (motorcycles), mountain biking, fly fishing, photography, snowboarding
 Post Number: 13
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Writing, photography, I love camping and travel of almost any type

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's see. . . Haven't made enough money at writing to move it out of hobby territory.  Photography is a part of backpacking for me, but I'll toss in exercise, gardening and sticking my nose in a book and not coming out.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Photography, kayaking, piano, reading, writing, Jeepin (exploring dirt roads on the forest/BLM land), road trips

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 16
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snowshoeing, photography, watching wildlife/birds, and reading.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 17
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hunting, fishing, travel, Scuba and snorkling, fitness, shooting, wildlife watching, home winemaking, field to table food prep (mostly meats, sorry vegan friends), canoe/kayaking

I would eventually like to add more world-wide travel, climbing (ice and/or rock), sailing, sea kayaking, and underwater spearfishing. Also looking for friends (with patience) who can teach me some of these skills I have not aquired...
 Post Number: 18
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Paddling is my main "other hobby".

The summer is for backpacking, sping and fall for backpacking and paddling and winter is for paddling.  

Below is a picture of one of my canoes on the Chassahowitzke River.

Below is my primary sea kayak.  This picture was taken in a 2010 when I did ~100 mile paddle from Everglades City to Flamingo along the gulf side of the Everglades National Park.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 19
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I to enjoy kayaking and also car camping, photography, rock climbing, firefighting, home remodeling, four-wheeling whenever/where ever I can, the jersey shore and fishing.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 20
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snowshoeing, a little gardening, guitar, reading and trip planning  :p

I'd still like to try paddling to see how I like it.  I think my swimming skills could use some improvement, though.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 21
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think people are listing leisure time activities also that includes hobbies and other entertaining and or unproductive activities.

Well I'll bet many of you people are probably leaving out one of your main "hobbies".  I'd bet for many watching TV and movies has occupied more of your time than anything else.   As a kid and poor twentysomething I did too along with a morning newspaper but gradually decided I was more interested in living my own life than watching or reading about others living theirs.  Have only had basic cable for last two decades and don't rent movies.

Another couple of social "hobbies" a number of urban people here probably have are regular restauranting and alcohol drinking in bars.

For this person, I have spent more time during the last 3 decades, spring thru fall, pursuing landscape and nature photography than anything else including backpacking.   And with both backpacking and hiking, photography is the end of those means.  And am a well read amateur naturalist and science enthusiast with bookcases of all manner books.  Have a modest knowledge and understanding about many natural and science things but expert or authority at nothing except maybe Sierra Nevada topography.  Would probably have pursued surfing and climbing were it not for photography but there is only so much time and resources in each of our lives.  Hope to take up writing more seriously when I reach retirement that is not too many years off.

I also still enjoy occasional fishing up in our mountains and along our coast and as a twentysomething that was the original end of the means for backpacking.

During winters over the last 3 decades, snow skiing has filled much of my weekend time.   Already have my Tahoe Local Season Pass for the coming winter so will be skiing Kirkwood, Heavenly, and Northstar.   Recently bought on ebay a pair of used 2012 Rossignol S7's powder skis and just spray painted them Sunday with a white primer coat.   And web ordered some special strontium aluminate glow paint that will go on next.  Thus unlike most guys I have not watched much football in the fall or basketball in winter even though I've always found watching pro and college sports entertaining.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 22
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! What a diverse group! Piano Tarol? I'm impressed. :) Tigger you're an artist! I can't believe how many kayak...I've always wanted to and even live on the ocean.  Once of these days.  Rebecca that's cool, guess I should have added writing to my list. HikingFF77, I just couldn't add 911 dispatching to my list, had to draw the line years ago btwn work and play...too much unhappiness from callers I needed to leave at work!:) Dave-I don't watch TV, I don't drink, and I spend my money on horses instead of eating out....I'd give my eyeteeth for a good camera again tho.:)
Keep posting everybody, I'm enjoying this thread.  Wish you all would put your locations in your profile tho, I've clicked on a few to figure out where your sea kayaking, surfing etc....:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 23
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, since you mention that sort of thing, Dave, I spend too much time on the Internet.  But I don't watch TV and very few movies, as most of them give me headaches.  Internet is my biggest time-waster.  Some of it is part of that other hobby, writing (marketing), but most of it is hanging out on these forums hoping someone will say something interesting or amusing, because I'm too tired to go do something productive.  Or to say anything interesting or amusing myself :p

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drinking

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 25
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cycling - on and off road
XC Skiing
Snow shoeing
Acoustic guitar
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's one

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 27
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drinking. Watching TV and movies. Going to Starbucks. Taking the kids to Mcdonalds then soccer practice. Waiting in line for the newest gadget.
 Post Number: 28
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's another

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 29
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beating up hobos

And crochet
 Post Number: 30
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like string, hookers, blow, and collecting cats.
122 replies since Sep. 24 2012, 1:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's your other hobby?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions