2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: iPhone apps, what ones are useful to you< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 12:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm new to the iphone, having had it a month or so.  I ran into a couple of useful apps, and I wonder what ones are useful to you.  

flashlight: turns on the camera flash to act as a flashlight, very handy when you need it.

canopy: turns the camera into a time lapse video.  You can set how many seconds between shots.  The annoying thing is the shutter sound every 6 seconds or so.  It looks way easier to do time lapse video than a gopro say.

guitarist: lets you use the iphone as a guitar.  Its not very loud, but interesting.

I saw an iphone app used to sample a bird song, then using the song to identify the bird.  I don't know what that app was, but that would be interesting.  

an app with wilderness first aid info would be handy

an app with gear list would be useful.  

what else is useful for others???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather app, I've both The Weather Channel and another: the live radar is a useful thing to "see" when rain will arrive.

EarthRover makes a variety of apps, both wildflower ID and some national parks maps off Harrison's that are interesting.

Ansel Adams image a day is fun.

The NPS has some that are useful, such as for the national mall. Museums can have specific guide apps. The American Museum of Natural History in NYC has a good one, runs off their internal WiFi so you get interactive guides to shops, restaurants and restrooms as well as tours with audio. I'm sure museums in other cities have the same.

Mass transit apps: Embark does some for cities that work.

NASA has a boatload, great graphics.

I like baseball so the MLB "At Bat" is nice for me. Even useful at a game as it gives live audio from the radio broadcast as well as a pitch placement graphic. Though it tends to be, as expected, a bit behind the on field action.

HULU+ and Netflix.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GasBuddy is a favorite, as well as Steep&Cheap and KnotsGuide.
 Post Number: 4
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Travel: For hiking, look at iHikeGPS. You can download (free) topos for whatever area you want, track your adventure, and get elevation and distance info. Very straight-forward but I enjoy it.
For driving: The Motion-X Gaia app is quite good, but my absolute favorite is Waze. Waze is FREE, and you see your location and travel info on a very simple road map (not photos, no details, just a road map!) You get road condition updates (accidents, stalled traffic, hidden police aheadů) I have used it many times to find places in unfamiliar otwns, and it is about my No. 1 favorite app for daily use. Both apps give voice directions. Waze will automatically zoom in to show tricky freeway connections, etc.

You Need a Map: an Interesting app that downloads a boatload of map data, letting you look at shaded topo maps, show the layer with population centers, calculate distances from your location, etc. Not so much a navigation app, per se, but oddly interesting to explore your general area.

Weather: look at Weatherbug for current temp, plus animated radar maps when it's storming. It's free, so what's not to like?

Nature; I like LightTrac. It shows sun or moon  info for lour location (displaying info in a "sky vie" photo of your location); rise and set times, current angle, where the rise and set locations will be (for photography, or seeing how to orient your tent, or whatever,
StarWalk (****) or NightSky (***) for astronomy interest. Starwalk is a very complete night sky map, NightSky is a much simplified basic map of what major items are visible. Both apps will let you "aim" at an object and see the ID on your screen.

Fooducate: A bit off the wall, but interesting to use. Shopping for food items, you simply scan the barcode (with tha camera) and instantly see the nutritional rating (A,B, C, etc) and if it's a low score, find five better choices. I recently spent $5 on a box of "FiberPlus" which sounded good. Later when scanned it got a D+ grade, Trader Joe's Raisin Bran (much cheaper)got an A-.

NB: all of these are the typical few dollars (except Waze, which is absolutely worth having even if it had cost something. I have tried most of the navigation GPS apps (including Backpacker's own version, which, while nice, didn't replace my iHike app. And note that I use all these on my iPad.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hear the new maps and turn by turn directions are great

Sorry I'm an Android user ;)

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 6
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Waze does Android:
http://www.waze.com/download/

...and it's free!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For beer brewing I use iBrew & Sparge Pal.
I have a couple of soccer news & scores apps too.
Weather channel app
 Post Number: 8
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like Shop Shop which is just a shopping list app.  If you are going to see a movie you can see what is showing in your area with Flixster.  My wife and I just downloaded Waze but have yet to use it.  Weatherbug is pretty handy.  If you like to hunt zombies, I recommend Zombie Gunship and Stupid Zombies.  If you are a junky I recommend iSmack.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 9
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shazam is great if you hear a song and want to quickly identify what it is and who is the artist.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 10
DewChugr Search for posts by this member.
Photoshop God

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use sound hound instead of shazam.

Accuweather for weather. Weather radio will give you emergency alerts and follow you as you travel to give you alerts.

imotion for time lapse and stuff like that

red laser for scanning qrcodes, etc

nightstand for an alarm clock or travel clock

Whats on for tv and flixster for movies

iwguide shows whats coming to and leaving netflix

red cross first aid app

Theodolite, check it out (outdoor app) shows horizon angles, direction, position, altitude, direction, etc

Sky safari, much better on ipad.

CFSAC

Jump for remote desktop

Password manager pro

Zombie archer and chuck norris bring on the pain dumb games

@flash, great flash light can also send mores code messages by flash and when you are using it it shows you a live image of what you are pointing it at.

--------------
www.gpsbasecamp.com - Find Yourself Outdoors
9 replies since Oct. 02 2012, 12:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply iPhone apps
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions