2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Internal Packs/Sweating, How big is the issue?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 12:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read a lot on how internal packs make folks perspire a lot more due to inadequate ventilation. Does this eventually cause the bag to start to smell and if so, how do you treat the bag to prevent odor? Thanks in advance. :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You mean internal-frame packs? I've never noticed any smell. On the other hand, mine have gotten sweat stains. But there's a fairly easy solution. Remove contents, use mild soap, hose down pack, let air dry in the shade.

As far as the amount I perspire between different-type packs, there is not that much difference. It's not the deciding factor.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Oct. 03 2012, 10:54 am)
You mean internal-frame packs? I've never noticed any smell. On the other hand, mine have gotten sweat stains. But there's a fairly easy solution. Remove contents, use mild soap, hose down pack, let air dry in the shade.

As far as the amount I perspire between different-type packs, there is not that much difference. It's not the deciding factor.

That'll do it.

I haven't noticed issues with smell in my packs though.  The minimal back-padding isn't absorptive (it's not open-cell-foam).  If I do feel a need to wash it, just as Travis noted some mild soap and a hose would do it nicely.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, no smell. Salt buildup is another thing and I do make sure to wipe that off to both reduce attracting porcupines and such and for storage to reduce attracting moisture and subsequently mold.
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've noticed no smell to my internal frame packs and I sweat a lot. I usually just wash them off like Travis said once or twice a year.
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had an odor problem.  The worst I can say is that sometimes on a windy day, my back gets cold after I take my pack off.  I address this calamity by turning away from the wind, or in extreme cases, putting on a jacket.
 Post Number: 7
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hike in the rain and it will get clean. Other wise wash rinse and repeat then air dry as suggested above.

probably belongs in the gear section also

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 03 2012, 10:16 am)
Hike in the rain and it will get clean. Other wise wash rinse and repeat then air dry as suggested above.

probably belongs in the gear section also

+1

The only washing my internal frame pack gets is the occasional rain or snow storm.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 03 2012, 11:16 am)
Hike in the rain and it will get clean.

I realized right after I posted, that's what I tend to do.  Even with a pack cover, the part of the pack against my back gets wet when I'm hiking all day in the rain.  Given I do that at least a few times a year, stains kinda work their way out.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Non-issue to me.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11
Geo. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not aware of any pack smell due to sweat either,  and it's  absorbed a fair whack of the stuff over the years - suspect that a DNA test on it would prove it a close relative!
Kind of like the way an internal frame pack keeps your back warm when you need it.

--------------
Dances With Marmots  
 Post Number: 12
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a problem for me - my back sweats no matter what kind of pack I have on.

As for cleaning my pack - I've never cleaned one. If it stinks, it doesn't bother me  :p

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 13
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very much appreciate the responses. Sounds like odor won't be much of an issue. Don't bother me about the sweat stains as the pack will be against my back anyway.

Sorry, if this belongs in the Gear section. Wasn't sure. :)
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes...It belongs in the gear section...but we'll let you live. This. Time.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
13 replies since Oct. 03 2012, 12:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Internal Packs/Sweating
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions