2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: For Those Who Wear Glasses< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 2:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did a search in both this forum and the gear forum and didn't see exactly what I was looking for. So I apologize if this has been discussed multiple times in the past. Do those of you who wear glasses all the time, carry a spare pair with you on the trail?

Went to the eye doctor yesterday and was able to purchase multiple pairs of glasses. We had $1500 in an FSA so I ended up with two pairs of sunglasses and three pairs of regular glasses. My long vision hasn't changed much over the years but I did end up buying a pair of no line bifocals just to see if I like them. This basically allows me to take the pair I am currently wearing for use on the trail and perhaps carry a spare with me.

Just curious how many of you actually carry a spare pair. This is the first time I'll have this opportunity. Blind without them, so I'm guessing I should consider this the same as carrying extra food or matches.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have duct tape...no need for a spare.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 3
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lost a pair on the trail somewhere this summer.  I couldn't even read my map or GPS without them.  My eyesight is terrible (should have listened to my mother).  I now carry a spare.  But I don't bother with prescription glasses for that, I carry a pair of reading glasses.  I found some that fold down pretty small and come with a hard carrying case, total weight is almost nothing.  I love them, and keep a pair in my pack at all times.  

http://www.amazon.com/Foster-....5DUY8EG
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The glasses I replaced become my spares and, yes, when eyesight is that compromised it is best to have some backup as wandering around in rough country "blind" is a significant safety issue. And glasses fall into streams and get washed away when say on a stream crossing you lose balance and fall in: the rushing water hoses off the glasses..., dropped over ledges down cliffs and irretrievably lost etc. etc. where there is no repairing what you no longer have.

Some people like to use a tether, Croakies or whatnot, but while I do that for sailing I don't really like cords on my neck.
 Post Number: 5
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a pair of the Foster Grant folding glasses and they work fine for what they are.  Now, if I could just remember where I put them.
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fortunately, all I need are readers. I had my eyes thoroughly checked a couple of months ago and the doctor said that my eyes were essentially the same. I need a magnification of 1.75 for each eye to read comfortably. I got a pair of prescription readers mainly because I prefer glass lenses.

I take along two pairs of cheapo plastic readers while hiking. They are light weight and won't cost me an arm and leg to replace. Plus, sunglasses.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think we carry duct tape on the trail. Not really sure about it but we probably should cause it can fix anything.

I'm near sighted so reading up close is not a problem. It's that seeing something far away that causes me problems. I did pick out a pair that is relatively light weight but they are more *cough* for looks than functionality.

The weight on the Fosters is unbelievable tho. WOW!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm, a tether is an interesting idea. I've never worn glasses with them so I don't know if I'd like that or not. Will have to buy some for my sunglasses and see what I think.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always carry my regular prescription glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. If the regular ones break or get lost, I can always wear the sunglasses if I'm desperate. Of course, this won't work at night :)

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hoping I got this in first!!  :) and I did it right

width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X2LTL8KgKv8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grrrr!!! didn't work right.

http://youtu.be/X2LTL8KgKv8

--------------
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't wear glasses any longer, but when I did, I never even owned a spare pair. I'd use the same frames until they fell apart, so no old pair for backup. This was probably insane, as I was pretty blind, though I could've followed a trail.

Now I just use reading glasses and don't feel like I need a backup--the spouse has a pair, too.

After losing my sunglasses in the Winds, I'm thinking one spare pair of those among the four of us would be good.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spare sunglasses for any sort of on snow travel is a very good idea. Snow blindness hurts like the dickens.

Well, for those who don't like the feeling of having sand grinding away on their eyeballs anyway.....
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never actually had a pair of real sunglasses in my life, so I'm really looking forward to it. I've always just used the clip on kind, which I lose at least 3 or 4 pairs a year. Hubby asked me if I was going to lose my real sunglasses. There's a big difference between a $10 pair of clip ons, and actual prescription sunglasses. :)

Don't even know if I'll know how to act not being blinded by the sun all the time.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No - but I'm not completely blind w/o them

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 16
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't own a spare pair. I'm 56 yo. and the last pair of glasses I broke, I was about 10yo. The last pair of glasses I lost, I was about 12yo. I think I've got this taking care of my glasses down.
 Post Number: 17
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife & I both wear contacts, but we always carry our glasses as backup - even on dayhikes. We treat it like any other emergency list item. I would do the same thing if I was wearing glasses full time - have a second (very lightweight) pair as backup.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 18
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry my spare pair everywhere with me. I have very, very bad vision. Anything beyond 12" is a blur. In theory I could hike in daylight but drive without glasses? Oh no way.

It comes down to how bad your vision is and your personal safety feelings. My husband doesn't carry backup glasses - he can drive without. But he does carry his prescription sunglasses.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like most of ya carry a spare pair. In the past three years we've been hiking and backpacking, it's not been an issue. My distance vision is pretty bad; I could follow a trail if need be, but discerning shapes could be an issue. (especially early evening or dark) I'd hate to mistake a grizzly for my hubby  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 20
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear my regular glasses and have sunglasses handy (pocket, top of pack) or the other way around depending on conditions.  One will do as a spare for the other in a pinch.
 Post Number: 21
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need them to read the map, the compass, or the GPS so I always cary a spare pair. I've lost so many pairs that I have stopped buying good ones. I need them to see many of the things that I photograph, then I take them off to take the photograph since my view finder is adjusted for my vision. Despite pockets and various neck cords, I still manage to lose them, and don't notice that I don't have them until I need to see something up close. It was the first thing that I hated about getting older.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 22
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Oct. 05 2012, 12:34 am)
I need them to read the map, the compass, or the GPS so I always cary a spare pair. I've lost so many pairs that I have stopped buying good ones. I need them to see many of the things that I photograph, then I take them off to take the photograph since my view finder is adjusted for my vision. Despite pockets and various neck cords, I still manage to lose them, and don't notice that I don't have them until I need to see something up close. It was the first thing that I hated about getting older.

Nearly the same as me.  I've got spares everywhere.  Only one prescription pair.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 23
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry regular glasses and sunglasses.  The ones I'm not wearing are my spares.
 Post Number: 24
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it's just an overnighter then I don't carry a spare pair but any longer then I do. When I'm out canoeing then I have a spare pair plus use a glass  cord to keep them on.
 Post Number: 25
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear glasses all the time, and am farsighted (I found an excellent little credit-card sized magnifier at an office supply store this year to help with small print and... maps ).  I've been seriously considering a leash for my regular pair.

For my sunglasses, I have a pair with an Rx insert (it's cheaper for me to replace the insert lenses than the polarized lenses) - and these I use as my backup pair when I'm on the trail.  The sunglasses have 3 interchangeable lenses, so I can use the clear set if using sunglasses as a backup.  Looks dorky, but always functional.

I keep my spare backup pair - really cheap - in the car if I'm on a trip.  My backup pair is also the only good pair for under my snow goggles, so in winter I'm carrying far too many pairs of glasses LOL!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 26
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

I have my newest glasses on my desk and at another pair at my computer desk. Older ones are in the living room, bedroom and in my UTE.

I always have an over-the-counter pair in my shirt pocket when I'm afield.

I need them for close-up only.
 Post Number: 27
superhiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can see nothing without corrective lenses.  I wear contacts and carry an extra pair.  I also carry glasses.  So, in essence, I have two backups.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think what I'm going to end up doing is taking both my prescription sunglasses and the current pair I'm wearing. Will try doing a strap as well and see how that goes.

Also glad to know there aren't a bunch of blind hikers out there.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 29
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ Oct. 04 2012, 2:43 pm)
Grrrr!!! didn't work right.

http://youtu.be/X2LTL8KgKv8

When you embed video here, check the "Use old embed code" box.  Such are the peculiarities of this forum's software.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 30
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I might carry a spare pair, on a multi-day trip, but otherwise, no.  I'm not totally blind without glasses.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
39 replies since Oct. 04 2012, 2:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply For Those Who Wear Glasses
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions