2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cover Up, Wear a Hat, Use Sunscreen< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 7:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Basal cell carcinoma ain't deadly, but it ain't no fun either.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah.  Basal and squamous cell carcinoma … I get cut 2 or 3 times a year.
Face, neck, both ears, both shoulders, back, stomach, both hands, and one foot.
I'm on a 3 month recall schedule.  They almost always find something new.
I even hike in the summer with gloves now.  Should have been more careful when I was younger.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(
 Post Number: 4
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm screwed.

You are still beautiful bro-man. Don't forget sunscreen for HOTB.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 5
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry you had to go under the knife on your birthday.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 6
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm right there with you man.  Had one removed from my back about a year ago or so.  I got me a wide brimmed hat for sunny days when fishing or hiking.  Too many days working on the farm with no shirt from in my teen years.
 Post Number: 7
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sucks. :( Keep an eye on that crap.
 Post Number: 8
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch.

The bandage makes you look rugged though.
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good advice!
Maybe you could start wearing one of these:

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 10
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Always, and starting my kid out young - whenever we're outside we're wearing sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses (don't forget about your eyes)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, you look bada$$ now!  YIKES!!

But yes, I'm a big advocate of sunscreen and hats myself.  I used to get natural highlights in my hair before I started wearing hats all the time.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ditto.  My kids are pretty well trained.  I'm partly protected by having been a WA kid, and one who burned easily so avoided exposure even when everyone else was sunning.

The DH sees the dermatologist at least once a year.  He's a California native from before the days of sunscreen.

Since it was melanoma that got my dad (and he was another CA kid) we take it very seriously.

Those who were at PG saw my approach.  I use the cotton gloves, too.  Not only protects from sun, but keeps my hands from drying out and my finger tips from splitting.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got healthier and got the women checkin.  Win-Win.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to the experts I'm doomed since I never used sunscreen, as a kid, and was outside most of the summer.  We called it "sun TAN" lotion not sunscreen.  My tan lines always lasted most of the winter.  I can only hope that my American Indian (Native American or whatever the current popular name is) genes will save me.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 15
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most skin cancers are not too big a deal is delt with promptly.
Most skin damage occurs between the ages of 2 and 25, and presents it's self in later life.  Additional exposure aggravates existing problems.

I highly encourage anyone over the age of 35 to find a dermatologist for a check up at least annually.
If you are not high risk, that is all it will take.  If you are high risk, they will bring you back more frequently.  
The key IS, deal with it early.

In order of severity:
Basal Cell- Considered non lethal but can be unsightly or even disfiguring is not dealt with
Squamous Cell - More severe, not generally considered lethal but should be dealt with early...this is the one that took out my Dad
Melanoma - This is the bad boy.  This one will take you out if not dealt with immediately

I don't preach about things very often, but I do have a passion for this subject.  If you don't have a dermatologist, FIND ONE.  
I was careless when I was young and I am paying the price today.

cgap: Was that Mohs surgery or are you still waiting on lab results to assure they got all of this one ?

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 16
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure what you mean by Mohs.
Geez, I have a black eye now.
 Post Number: 17
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, sorry…
In a lot of cases, the Dr cuts you, closes you up and sends you home.  The tissue sample then goes to the lab for inspection.  About a week later your Dr gets a report … they got it all, or there were still bad cells on the margins of the sample.  In the latter case, the Dr calls you back in to do some more cutting.

Mohs is when they cut a patch out and send the tissue ‘across the hall’ to be read under the microscope.  They look at the margins for the presence of bad cells.  If the margins are ‘clean’, they stitch you up and send you home.  If the margins are ‘not clean’, they cut you some more and so on.  The cool thing about this Mohs is that you KNOW they got it all before you leave the office.

Sorry about the black eye.  Do we get to see a photo of that ?

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 18
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep. Been getting checked every six months for the last couple years. The doc says I only need to come in annually but I'm willing to pay for the extra checks. Being a Southern Cali kid, I've baked, fried, simmered, and microwaved my skin as a kid.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 19
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(

With my current hair-do (or lack thereof), I'm extra careful with sun exposure.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 20
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Oct. 05 2012, 12:16 pm)
Oh, sorry…
In a lot of cases, the Dr cuts you, closes you up and sends you home.  The tissue sample then goes to the lab for inspection.  About a week later your Dr gets a report … they got it all, or there were still bad cells on the margins of the sample.  In the latter case, the Dr calls you back in to do some more cutting.

Mohs is when they cut a patch out and send the tissue ‘across the hall’ to be read under the microscope.  They look at the margins for the presence of bad cells.  If the margins are ‘clean’, they stitch you up and send you home.  If the margins are ‘not clean’, they cut you some more and so on.  The cool thing about this Mohs is that you KNOW they got it all before you leave the office.

Sorry about the black eye.  Do we get to see a photo of that ?

She did biopsies a few weeks ago. I hope she got it all. I don't think anything got sent out while she was working on me. I watched most of it. I wussed out and had to close my eye a couple of times.  :D
The black eye.
 Post Number: 21
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WoW…Nice one !
It takes a real man to put a photo like that of himself on the internet.
Don’t worry, your good looks will return soon.

Oh, Happy Birthday by the way.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 22
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 1:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Oct. 05 2012, 1:48 pm)
WoW…Nice one !
It takes a real man to put a photo like that of himself on the internet.
Don’t worry, your good looks will return soon.

Oh, Happy Birthday by the way.

I felt as bad as I looked.  :D
Now that it is healing, I notice that about a one square inch area to the right of the incision is numb. Possible nerve damage?
 Post Number: 23
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As someone that has spent much of my childhood and adult years outside in the sun, the notion of skin cancer has always scared me.   At least years ago, a fair number of people tended to have annual episodes of sunburn while growing up like it was no big thing that was no doubt due somewhat to cultural norms and lack of parental considered importance. Repeated sunburns can eventually start the skin DNA changes that eventually lead to problems.   I recall getting severe summertime sunburns as a small child, then enduring the unpleasant pain especially at night afterwards.   So learned as a kid to put on  a baseball cap when venturing out about summertime California landscapes.   Growing up about the hot sunny Sacramento area, by early summer most of we kids all had deep dark tans that protected us without burning.  But its getting to that point where trouble lies.  Then later as a teen read about skin cancer and began to take the notion of using sunscreen as worthwhile.

Of course numbers of adult males don't tend to use sunscreen even when they should maybe because cosmetics grate against our sense of maleness.  I still see this today every spring at ski resorts.  Usually it is the the novice skiers that infrequently ski just one to few times a winter that one will see with very very red faces during early afternoon apparently oblivious to the fact they have been frying their faces.   Of course the same thing readily occurs for others engaging in summer water sports.  Another supposedly strong link exists between long term tobacco smoking and skin cancers and of course even without the sun, many smoker's skin tend to begin looking rather degenerated even in their mid forties.

Out in the backcountry I've been wearing one of these sun hats with a large bill and neck drape many years:

http://www.amazon.com/Supplex-Mens-CoolMax-Face-Shroud/dp/B003P36KEE

Not only to protect from sun but also from mosquitoes and black flies.   Only sun hat product I've seen that has velcro removal of the drape.   I also tend to wear long sleeve and long pants most of the time as our higher altitude sun in the Sierra backcountry is rather intense with bright white granite geology dominant and thus dangerous if one is out there as much as I am.  Of course much of one susceptibility is genetic and together with having protected it for years, my ski now nearing retirement looks not much different than most fortysomethings.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 24
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Oct. 05 2012, 9:10 am)
If you are high risk, they will bring you back more frequently.  

So how do you know if your high risk.

Based on parents or siblings ???

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 25
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 11 2012, 3:53 pm)

The Dr will tell you when to come back.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 26
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 2:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Oct. 11 2012, 9:16 pm)

(eggs @ Oct. 11 2012, 3:53 pm)

The Dr will tell you when to come back.

Also people with lighter complexions tend to be at higher risk. Time spent in the sun, etc.
I read somewhere that most people get the majority of their exposure by the time they are twenty.
I think that a sunburn that I got traveling from SF to Kansas when I was eighteen is the reason I have had four on my face. I was in my thirties when I got the first one, and that is way early.
I'll be going back every six months. They also took pics. And my Dr is quite the cutie.  :)
 Post Number: 27
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes, cgaph, take care.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
26 replies since Oct. 04 2012, 7:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cover Up, Wear a Hat, Use Sunscreen
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions