2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Brayden's in surgery...for six hours so far, Prayers please< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:20 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Appendicostomy taken down and a cecostomy placed, as well as a roux-en-y J Tube placed (in addition to his existing G tube.) On top of surgery, his pseudo-obstruction has not gotten any better in the last two weeks, which means higher risk of infection. This is his hardest surgery yet.

It's been six hours so far and they're not done yet. Please keep him in your prayers....!

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got an update that they got him out after eight hours under general  anesthesia. He is in recovery now...

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't know what to say but didn't want to just read and say nothing. Poor little man.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes!  That's tough.  :(
 Post Number: 5
Serpicorabbit Search for posts by this member.
If I pee on it, it's mine!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 4:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kids just don't deserve this kind of stuff.  I'll be putting good vibes out in the universe for him.

--------------
No problem! ~ ALF
--------------
Serpicorabbit's blog
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Brayden threads always scare me.  That is a very brave little boy, but I will be praying for him.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 7:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am wishing Braydon strength and healing!
 Post Number: 8
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Prayers and  good thoughts to Brayden and his family (and to you, too, tigger).

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 9
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Oct. 05 2012, 2:28 am)
The Brayden threads always scare me.  That is a very brave little boy, but I will be praying for him.

They scare me and I'm the one who has to start them. It always makes me wince and writing updates in the most positive way possible can be difficult at times. There's no way I would ever consider writing all of the updates of his struggle for life or it would be way too depressing. However, you are definitely right in that he is a very brave little boy with a very positive outlook. They are a strong family who continues to persevere no matter what is thrown their way. Your encouragement really does help and has made a difference in their family's life.

Thank you!

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Serpicorabbit Search for posts by this member.
If I pee on it, it's mine!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, you're a brave little boy too, Tigger.   :;):   Not many people would go to the lengths you have to help someone in another state, or post updates on their condition to garner some much-needed positivity from the community.  It's an incredible thing you've done, and continue to do, for Brayden.  I sincerely regret not putting off work a little bit (lost my job anyway) to have helped you when I had the opportunity.  But you certainly have the support of the folks here, myself included.  You're a good guy and your work is absolutely encouraging.  As is Brayden.  You guys keep it up!

--------------
No problem! ~ ALF
--------------
Serpicorabbit's blog
 Post Number: 11
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, such a hard thing for both Brayden and the family.  Hang in there.  Sending energy and healing thoughts your way.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 12
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Prayers.  Thanks for the update.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 13
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brayden's prayer needs: effective antibiotics for infection and fever, clear lungs, deep breathing, sufficient progress to remove NG tube soon, medical team, pain-free momma.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update:

It's day 3 and we aren't making much forward progress. Still needs IV plus port access for all the Meds & TPN. Still has an NG for suctioning (lots of old blood), urine cath, intermittent fever spiking, unstable vitals, supplemental oxygen, mouth suctioning and decreased breath sounds. He's barely talking so we are using a lot of hand gestures. Definitely a big change from Brayden's typical "sick" look.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(

--------------
 Post Number: 16
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got slammed in my truck last week, probably totaled. Just a few small bruises and scratches on me, I was incredily lucky to walk away. Shame on me for thinking I have any real problems. Brayden, you sure put the trivial things some of us obsess on in a much healthier perspective. I'm not a religous man but I hope for great, positive progress for you young man. Keep your stick on the ice Brayden.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brayden's recovery is not going well at all. Please continue prayers. There is some serious concern now and I can hear the tension/fear in the voice of his grandmother who is usually very strong during these surgeries.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Crap.  Another who doesn't pray, but I'll keep him in my thoughts :(

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brayden and his family seem to be always in my thoughts.

--------------

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

Post Number: 20
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He is currently vomiting bile, blood, and materials that should not be there so they are running tests to find out why.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any news?

--------------
 Post Number: 22
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big hugs to Brayden & friends & family, and positive energy going out! Here I am wallowing about the test I have to take Tuesday and what it might show. Such a tough kid and family!

We (me + husband that doesn't post but I keep him updated) will be thinking of you!

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 23
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Oct. 07 2012, 8:52 pm)
Any news?

Nothing good so far. They've been running tests all day. His body is basically melting down.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a heart breaker.  Bless you Brayden

--------------

Post Number: 25
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good news: His oxygen levels are rising, his fever has broke, and he wanted to play a game in the middle of the night.

The doctors are still running tests but we're setting a goal for Brayden to sit up in bed by the end of the day.

Thank you very much for the continued prayers, good thoughts, and kind comments. His family and I extend our thanks to you.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is good news!
 Post Number: 27
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great!

--------------
 Post Number: 28
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Prayers coming. Very sorry to hear/read.

Keep fighting Brayden!

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still holding his own?

--------------

Post Number: 30
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was admitted to the hospital 20 days ago this round. This trip was particularly brutal for the family and things did not go smoothly in surgery. They stopped halfway through and made some major changes which required an extensive brutal exploration which lasted eight hours. In his weakened state, it nearly crushed him. There was serious discussion in regards to letting Brayden go. It was a very emotional ride for all of us. In the end, the family decided to let the doctors finish.

He's not still not talking yet but he has been able to see what they've done and accepted it. He is starting to show signs of recovery. I've been told he's smiled a few times now. He is having a lot of head pain requiring breakthrough morphine boluses. He's also still vomiting today even though his g- tube is draining and his NG is on continuous suction. He has been suffering despite continuous IV morphine, Zofran, Toradol and Tylenol. His temps have stopped spiking and his lungs are sounding better. He came out of surgery with even more "tubes" than expected. Besides the three mic-key button tubes, three laparoscopic tiny incisions and full horizontal stomach incision since they needed to do the surgery open...he came out with an ng tube in his nose, a urine catheter and another IV in addition to his port.

Right now, we're praying for pain management, continued stability and clarity in regards to the next surgery, if they choose to go through with it. There is an internal battle that must be won. It's not a situation where it will "fix" Brayden. It's a balance of quality of life vs. longevity.

--------------
59 replies since Oct. 05 2012, 12:20 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Brayden's in surgery...for six hours so far
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions