2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Oh no! Border Patrol Agent, killed by friendly fire< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You may have heard that another Border Patrol Agent was killed earlier this week when responding to a tripped sensor near the Border with Mexico just north of Naco.

It now appears to have been friendly fire. This is really going to rock the BP in southern Arizona.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems that all the posts from you recently are all blank.  Is there something wrong here or what?

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 3
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Oct. 05 2012, 2:31 pm)
It seems that all the posts from you recently are all blank.  Is there something wrong here or what?

Rumi

They all look good to me.

Anyone else have the problem?

ETA: I see them on the smartphone, too. But, I just tried to log out twice and it wouldn't take.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, as one who always enjoys reading your posts, I still can't see anything but your sig line.  Am I the only one who can't read dd's posts?

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 5
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Oct. 05 2012, 2:40 pm)
Well, as one who always enjoys reading your posts, I still can't see anything but your sig line.  Am I the only one who can't read dd's posts?

Rumi

See my ETA above.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Oct. 05 2012, 5:40 pm)

Rumi

I bet you accidentally put him on ignore.  The ignore button is too close to the quote button.
 Post Number: 7
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

link works for me.  I thought they arrested a guy or 2?  Hard to keep up.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 8
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 05 2012, 5:43 pm)

Rumi

I bet you accidentally put him on ignore.  The ignore button is too close to the quote button.

I assume the same.

As to the topic at hand, it is very sad indeed.  USBP are some of the hardest chargers that I have ever known.  They're good people doing a thankless job.  May the fallen rest in peace and if there is a lesson to be learned here, may it help prevent this from happening again.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 9
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 05 2012, 3:36 pm)

(RumiDude @ Oct. 05 2012, 2:31 pm)

Rumi

They all look good to me.

Anyone else have the problem?

ETA: I see them on the smartphone, too. But, I just tried to log out twice and it wouldn't take.

Yep, I assume the same as others. The Ignore button is awfully close to the quote. I've done it before, completely in error.

Try that first, Rumi.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 05 2012, 2:43 pm)

Rumi

That was it.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 11
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back to the Border incident:
The article I read in the paper this morning said they were “investigating to possibility of friendly fire”.
I thought ‘OMG, I hope not.’
This article says they have ballistics evidence, so that leaves little room for doubt.
This is horribly tragic.

The wife and I have discussed several times what an awful job it would be to be a border agent.  You spend almost all of your duty time outdoors in one of the most blistering deserts in North America.  You generally have nothing at all to do but watch.  When you are doing something, you are gathering up harmless Mexican Nationals that are just trying to get into the States to find a $5 an job.  Or you are in a fire fight for your life with some of the best equipped and merciless cartels in this hemisphere.  
And now something like this.

God Bless you Mr Nicholas Ivie.  God Bless your surviving wife and young children.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

red dog,

I appreciate your empathy on all sides of the issue.  You speak well.
It truly is a sad occurrence.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very sad.  Too much adrenaline and chaos when those situations are occuring...I'm amazed and very glad it doesn't happen more often. I wouldn't be a cop for
anything!

And yes, I see all sides too...I live in a town with a huge hispanic population with all the problems that entails like gang activity and  money going out for welfare to illegal aliens etc, and can see why folks get so upset.  I see no solution, cuz I hate the problems they bring, but I would hate to have to live where they come from my whole life.

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
12 replies since Oct. 05 2012, 5:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Oh no! Border Patrol Agent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions