2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yosemite Permits, Help please< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aussieboy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 10:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, it seems I have a slight dilema and am also somwhat rather confused at the permit system for Yosemite Nat Park.
I have tried to apply for a wilderness permit by fax and the automated reply says that they are not taking bookings at this time. I have been through the NPS website and have found a lot of conflicting info which has just confused me even more.
I know this is rather last minute but I only knew about this busineess trip a couple of weeks ago and decided to extend it so I could spend some time in Yosemite. What I wish to do is get there late on the 23rd of Oct and camp the night and hit the trail early the next morning, climb Half Dome that day (yes I now the cables will be down) then spend another 5 days hiking around the park and back to Yosemite Valley before driving to Vegas.
Problem.
All info i can find says that permit for Half dome is only required when cables are up so do I need one for this or not?
If I have to obtain a wilderness permit through self registration on the first come basis it appears that cant be done unitl 11am so if the quota goes on the 23rd i have to wait until 11am the following day before I can start hike. I cant talk to anyone at a NPS office because the recorded msg says they are closed for Oct. That poses another problem, if they are closed I cant rent a bear canister.

This is a once in my lifetime chance to visit your part of the world and woud love to be able do do this hike so any assistance and info would be really appreciated, High sierra fan thank you for the links you supplied in my other thread but I havent been able to find a solution there.

By the way if anyone is interested in joining me let me know.

--------------
There's only one way to find out!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's both information and a contact number at this page that should help.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

When the Valley Wilderness Center, next to the Ansel Adams Gallery, opens at 8 AM you can get a permit for that very day or pick up the permit you reserved. The 11AM time is for the next-day permit application circus. Though that tapers off as Winter approaches.

About Half Dome? How's your big exposure technical rock climbing experience? A really long high angle friction climb on glacially polished granite. That's a big very fatal fall waiting for any slip. There's a video about it here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/ytp.htm

Me? I'd do Clouds Rest; better views. Especially solo.

ETA: For a Wednesday in late October quotas will not be an issue even for an icon such as Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley.

Some time a bit later in the month the next visitor services newsletter will come out. The Yosemite Guide. It will have a lot of open hours and such.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm

ETA2: I called the number (209-372-0826) on the Wilderness Conditions page I linked to and got a recorded message giving the hours the place is open to receive calls and a request to leave a message and phone number and they'd call back. Nothing about being closed for the month.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning on using prussik ropes to climb the cables as falling is not in my plans, would love to do clouds rest also.
That phone nuber is the one i rang this mornnig or your time of 2.16pm, the msg says there hours were 8.30+12 and 1+4.30. yes it said I could leve a msg but I didnt think they would call me back in Australia.
Guess I just have to get there before 4.30pm on the 23rd and get permits sorted for next morning.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OR show up at 8 AM on Wednesday and grab a permit and go. Given how the shuttles run I'd be stunned if you were on the trail any later than 9. Granted getting a permit the afternoon before does allow for a pre-dawn or dawn start..... So there's an advantage of sorts.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes I am thinking that the first day would be better started as early as possible as it will be only 1 day off the plane and i will still be trying to adjust to the altitude.
I am also looking for somewhere between L.A and yosemite to stock up on supplies for the trip. Is there an outdoor store chain that caters to backpackers/hikers that I could maybe do an order with and just pick up and pay on my way through. Will have most gear with me but will be looking for mostly food and things I cant take on a plane like gas canisters for stove.
Also,my wife would like to know if the bears are still active around this time or have thay started settling for the winter, she is a little worried about me hiking alone.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are stores in the Valley for food and camping fuel. The main store probably will still be keeping late hours. In the summer it's open until 10.

Yosemite black bears like people food not people as food (they mainly have a diet of vegetation so the high calorie backpacking food is irresistible). Keep to the clean camp, food storage rules and they're not a problem, and when theyre a problem its to the food not people. The sole wildlife caused human fatality in recorded Yosemite history was caused by a deer: so keep your distance. (they kick). The most numerous cause of death in the park by far is drowning, but that's more related to the insane water flow velocities during the spring snow melt off when the high country is trying to shed twenty or thirty or more feet of snow... In the very dry fall stream crossings are far safer and you'll note on the wilderness conditions page that there are stretches were water is a bit scarce.

From LA you may be going through Fresno? That's a big enough town there's lots of stores.

REI is an outdoors equipment store:
http://www.rei.com/stores/fresno.html their online ordering will deliver free to their stores for pickup.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thats what I have been trying to tell her but shes stressed...
Thanks for that link will check it out, cheers for all your help

--------------
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can rent a bear canister at any REI (one in Fresno) or buy the $40 Bare Boxer at the stores in Yosemite.

Self registration is a matter of filling out a form and dropping the carbon copy in a slot - we do that in national parks this time of year. It's on the porch.

I don't recommend Half Dome when the cables are down. Particularly if there is ice. It's getting cold now up there. Your prussik ropes are impractical and will not be easy to use on the steel cables. The view from Clouds Rest is better anyway.

Yes, there will be active bears, particularly in Yosemite. No, they don't bother you. Just don't leave anything (pack or food) unattended. Tell your wife that as a woman I go out ALONE on a weekly basis (no gun, no bear spray, no worries) and have yet to even have a bear approach me - they go the other way, particularly if you yell at them.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 2:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clouds rest is deffinately on my wish list and weather permitting am hoping to get there also. I would like to do half dome but if i get to the top or not is purely going to be decided by the conditions, common sense and a strong sense of self preservation.
When you say its getting cold out there already just how cold is it because everything I have been able to read online tells me that temps should be between 4-21 degrees celcious. I am banking on temps around zero and have started getting gear ready accordingly but I might have to rethink.
The bear canister side of things I am still trying to work out because I ws going to do an order with rei to pick up in fresno but was hoping to drive to Vegas another way so I will have to see if I can drop it back at another location.
Still havent had any takers for the spot of travelling companion yet...

--------------
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SF Chron notes that the cables come down Tuesday.  In October, I'd say that those temps you saw are optimistic.  I would expect overnight lows below freezing, for sure.  Supposed to be getting some weather in the next few days, so keep an eye on conditions.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canisters are available from the office where you pick up your permit in the park and there are drop boxes where you can return your canister at any time of day or night even when the office is closed: and you don't have to return the canister to the same location that you picked it up from.

For every thousand feet of elevation gain the temperature drops by between 3 and 5 degrees F due to a phenomena termed "dry adiabatic cooling" (the lower pressure as an air mass rises allows the air to expand, that expansion results in a lower temperature: when the air drops on the other side of the Sierra it heats up from the same rules (and since it's often dropped moisture it actually heats up more than it had cooled:::: Owens Valley and Death Valley are hotter than the California Central Valley). Tuolumne Meadows forecasts are a better gauge of high country weather at 8659 feet than what is the standard "Yosemite Park" forecasts as that tends to be the very low elevation (relatively) Valley at 4000 ft.

Note the next three days are already forecast to have a lows of 25, 22 and 20 F.... so that's already at -6.67C and a prediction of some snow above 8900 feet Wednesday night.

Another route for information is the NPS Yosemite Park FaceBook page, they do respond, though it sometimes takes a while.
http://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS
10 replies since Oct. 05 2012, 10:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yosemite Permits
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions