2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Any foods you wont eat on dietary or moral grounds< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grew up with lots of hippy friends, and used to have long hair myself, til I realized it brought more negative attention when I was or even wasnt doing something wrong! The teachers or cops would always look to the long haired folks first!

Anyway, several of my friends in the late 80's and 90's were dead heads, who I went to a Dead show with in spring of '93 to Nassau county coliseum, in Hempstead as I recall. While there, we cooked and sold ALL vegetarian food like veggie stir fry and veggie chili. It was good, but I was NOT into becoming a vegetarian or vegan for sure.

But now in the past years I have decided not to eat certain things due primarily to what I guess can be called "moral grounds".

I dont like the idea of eating lobster anymore. Also, I have decided to forgo salmon. I used to only eat "farmed" salmon, but when you think about it, that may even be worse than free salmon, because they are not accustomed to living their lives in a big, overcrowded tank. Also, no more tuna. I watched a documentary on tuna, and they are among the most evolved fish in the ocean, and humans catch and eat an unbelievably high number of thousands of tons of tuna. The blue fin is near extinction in many areas after only being considered a sushi delicacy since the 70's! So no tuna for me.

I wont eat anything that is endangered period. The idea of killing Sturgeon for caviar is disgusting. I wont become a vegetarian any time soon, but I do better understand the 'other' reasons why they forgo meat now, beside just dietary reasons.

I know that may sound really silly or whatever, but thats become my(inconsistent) stand on foods for better or worse.

Anyone else have moral or dietary grounds for not eating certain things?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Broccoli. Due to its inherent vileness.
 Post Number: 3
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Oct. 05 2012, 11:37 pm)
Broccoli. Due to its inherent vileness.

That reminds me I forgot Brussel sprouts, because of their vileness.
 Post Number: 4
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Caterpillars:  I don't think we should deprive the world of more beautiful butterflies.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 5
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beets, foie gras, balut, and sannakji.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Human brains. Why not save a new taste treat for after the Zombie Apocalypse? (Plus there's that Kuru prion stuff)

Oh, and anything purple.
 Post Number: 7
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Veal is something that I won't eat - ever.  Really smart animals like octopus too, not that everyone eats them,  but I know some who do.

I have recently found a small farm in our area that sells only pasture raised/free range, hormone and antibiotic-free beef, pork, and chicken.  I like the idea of eating locally, and supporting a small business that has some ethics about their products.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you eat salmon?  The Alaska commercial salmon fishery is probably the best and most sustainably managed fishery in the world.

I keep the Seafood Watch app on my phone, and always avoid fish that are endangered from over harvesting.  You will notice that wild caught Alaska salmon is always a 'good choice' on their lists.

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
 Post Number: 8
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, anything legal to shoot or fish for is welcome in the freezer. I shop at the local farmers market where I purchase beef and poultry in addition to fruits and vegetables in season. I bake my own bread, filter my city water, and seldom dine out. Anything processed is probably not in my diet.

Oh, I'll probably be crabbing next week and enjoying local shrimp and oysters steamed on the campfire. Low country food at its best!
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a picky eater to begin with.  If I started ruling out food on moral grounds, I'd probably starve.  Even so, while I'm fairly carnivorous, I don't eat any of things that especially bother the moral police (foie gras, veal).  I once successfully declined an opportunity to eat whale meat which in that circumstance was a grave insult to my host.

(A lot of peanuts were harmed in the making of this sandwich).
 Post Number: 10
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't eat foie gras because it's outrageously expensive!  ... except that I did have some the other day when someone else ordered the appetizers ...

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 11
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I turned 11-years-old, I became allergic to all fruits and vegetables, except bananas and kiwi fruit; which sucked, because I hate kiwi.

???
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mushrooms because it's basically mold growing on poop and urine.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No. And I've got the belly to prove.
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was going to say no, that I'm an omnivore.  But your seafood comments reminded me that I do, in fact, buy seafood using the guidelines published by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. That does mean I eat wild-caught Pacific salmon, no farmed salmon--a little research shows that farmed seafood is often an environmental disaster.

Lobster I tried several years ago, and if I eat it again, I won't be cooking it live as is traditional.  That was. . . Sick.  But crab tastes better anyway.

I'm shifting to try to find grass-fed meat, too, given the environmental costs of conventional beef.  But it's not always easy--in my store, most of the organic beef is shipped in from Australia--not exactly low-impact either!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 06 2012, 12:27 am)

Fungi may be the next superfood according to some geeks in my my neck of the woods doing research.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Oct. 06 2012, 12:12 am)
I don't eat foie gras because it's outrageously expensive!  ... except that I did have some the other day when someone else ordered the appetizers ...

X2. Not too fond of gator no matter how it is cooked!
 Post Number: 17
aussieboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what he said, and they stink!

--------------
There's only one way to find out!
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 06 2012, 12:34 am)
I was going to say no, that I'm an omnivore.  But your seafood comments reminded me that I do, in fact, buy seafood using the guidelines published by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. That does mean I eat wild-caught Pacific salmon, no farmed salmon--a little research shows that farmed seafood is often an environmental disaster.

Lobster I tried several years ago, and if I eat it again, I won't be cooking it live as is traditional.  That was. . . Sick.  But crab tastes better anyway.

I'm shifting to try to find grass-fed meat, too, given the environmental costs of conventional beef.  But it's not always easy--in my store, most of the organic beef is shipped in from Australia--not exactly low-impact either!

LOL. No I won't be cooking a live lobster again myself or a live crab or anything else kicking and screaming when placed into boiling water.  Won't be harvesting anything alive. Nurses work hard to save lives, not natural to do the killing myself, but grass fed beef is yummy along with fresh eggs, free range chickens, wild boar, elk, venison, antelope, wild salmon, steelhead trout, rainbow trout.......better go fix a sandwich since I'm starting to get hungry!
 Post Number: 19
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, but mushrooms taste good....  "Hey, sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know cause I wouldn't eat the filthy thing. (I was going to post the clip, but couldn't find a pg-13 version)

I'll pretty much eat anything.  I do however eat non-pc foods very sparingly.  I can't remember the last time I had foie gras or veal or swordfish.  I'd murder some truffles with my bear hands though.

There was a story a while back on This American Life about a Spanish goose whisperer.  He had a way of letting free range geese get fat on their own.  I'll try to find a link to it tomorrow.
 Post Number: 20
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Oct. 05 2012, 9:34 pm)

Fungi may be the next superfood according to some geeks in my my neck of the woods doing research.

I won't eat super poop either...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 21
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 2:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched a program where there was a guy in Spain, I think it was, who was producing "organic" foie gras.  He was growing vegetation that geese naturally gorged themselves on.  They are not force fed anything.  I can't recall how the geese were killed specifically but it was about as humane as it gets.  I would eat THAT foie gras if I could afford it.

I am also migrating away from factory raised meat.  And it has nothing to do with moral grounds.  It's just disgusting.  I have started to learn to hunt to offset some of the cost of obtaining yard chickens, grass fed beef, and the like.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 22
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 2:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm Cajun. Enough said.
 Post Number: 23
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 7:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I probably wouldn't eat hogshead cheese.  I do love some good cracklins, but chitlins smell so bad I don't think I could ever get to the point of putting Tabasco on them.
 Post Number: 24
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Salmon because they really are endangered.
Tuna because the stocks are on the verge of collapse and extinction. Farmed is even worse than wild caught because farmed are captured as entire wild schools and penned for feeding and finally slaughter.
Veal.
Bell peppers because of an allergy. Plus the smell could make a buzzard puke.

But I do like broccoli and brussel sprouts... :D

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 25
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Oct. 06 2012, 1:40 am)
I'm Cajun. Enough said.

:laugh: :laugh:

Of course, Cajuns are the original reduce-reuse-recyle people.  Use every part of the pig but the oink!

--------------
 Post Number: 26
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Oct. 06 2012, 10:12 am)

(Bateauxdriver @ Oct. 06 2012, 1:40 am)
I'm Cajun. Enough said.

:laugh: :laugh:

Of course, Cajuns are the original reduce-reuse-recyle people.  Use every part of the pig but the oink!

Oxtail sells for 6 or 7 dollars a pound up here.  Crazy.

Oxtail makes everything better.
 Post Number: 27
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Veal and Lobster

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 28
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope.  Only a few dislikes; notably lamb and olives.  So, baby lambs are safe with me but everything else is fair game.  I would do Andrew Zimmern proud, actually.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 29
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 06 2012, 4:36 am)
Salmon because they really are endangered.

Can you explain this remark at all?  

I know it is true that specific runs of pacific salmon in the lower 48 states are listed as endangered - this is due primarily to historic overfishing, habitat loss, and dams.  

This is not at all true in Alaska and BC where salmon are abundant and the fishery is managed sustainably.

The overall biomass of pacific salmon currently swimming around in the ocean is as high as it has been for the last 50 years.  This is from a recent study:

A recent study published in the journal Marine and Coastal Fisheries found that the north Pacific Ocean may be nearing the limit of its salmon-carrying capacity. The North Pacific is becoming “overcrowded with salmon,” according to Randall Peterman, one of the study’s authors and holder of the Canada Research Chair in Fisheries Risk Assessment and Management at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, B.C. He and his co-author, Seattle-based fisheries biologist Greg Ruggerone, recently set out to compile the most complete set of data on Pacific salmon abundance. What they found is that today’s total Pacific salmon population is twice what it was 50 years ago. “We’re seeing more total salmon now than we’ve ever seen before,” says Peterman.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature....335

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
 Post Number: 30
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

menudo, can't stand the texture

Anything with trans fat, MSG, sodium nitrate, or potasium nitrate.

I also try to avoid high fructose corn syrup and highly processed convenience foods

Right now, I'm avoiding all wheat products because I'm on a diet, but that's not an absolute, and I hope I can resume enjoying an occasional beer once I reach my target weight.

Oh, and absinthe.  It will be a LONG, LONG time before I ever touch that stuff again!
:)
93 replies since Oct. 05 2012, 11:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Any foods you wont eat on dietary or moral grounds
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions