2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking Oregon, Any Oregonians hereabouts?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 7:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for any Oregon residents that visit here who can provide some info/help for a newbie. I.E. trail recommendations, best times of the year and general stuff. Thanks in advance....T
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a Washington resident who's done a little Oregon hiking.  Mostly in the Wallowas (Eagle Cap Wilderness in NE Oregon) and the Columbia River gorge.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What trails in the Columbia River gorge? Are they multi day hikes with disperse camping available?
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm an off-trail hiker in Bend. Can't help you with trails but can state that August is safe for "no snow" above 4,000 ft.

We're in the unstable air period. If you go hiking now, be prepared for temps to possibly hit 0 from here on out and definitely be concerned for sleet/snow in the higher elevations.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pick up a copy of "Pacific Northwest Hiking" subtitled "The complete guide to more than 1000 of the best hikes in Washington and Oregon" (AKA "The hiker's bible"). It's the best trail information book I've ever seen.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 06 2012, 7:19 pm)
What trails in the Columbia River gorge? Are they multi day hikes with disperse camping available?

I've done 30-ish mile loops involving combinations of the Eagle Creek Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, Ruckel Creek Trail, and others nearby.  Wahtum Lake is a popular destination/loop-end.  Benson Plateau is interesting, too.  Dispersed camping both places as well as Eagle Creek.  There are lots of other options in the gorge.

The portlandhikers.org forum is an excellent resource, especially their Field Guide.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! Thanks for the info. Trying to get a list together for my son and I to hike. Very much appreciate the suggestions. :)
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's The Timberline Trail all the way around Mt Hood. 43 miles IIRC.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, I'm looking hard at that Timberline trail. Think that can be  a multiple trip backpacking adventure.
 Post Number: 10
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 07 2012, 4:50 pm)
Ok, I'm looking hard at that Timberline trail. Think that can be  a multiple trip backpacking adventure.

The boy scouts often make it a five day trip. It's a bit dry in sections. Personally, I think that down lower is much nicer...(Zig Zag area).

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What trail is lower? I'm not seeing one.
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As in, do the trails down in Zig Zag instead of up high near the scree/dust areas. Mt. Hood has so much lush forest around it, I would not recommend spending it above the treeline unless that is your type of hiking. Frog Lake, Trillium area, Zig Zag and Welches all have trails all over. You'll have to pick up one of the trail books (as I said, I'm an off-trail hiker).

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Tigger. I'm heading down to REI in Eugene tomorrow and will try and pick up a book down there. I like the below the tree line hiking also.
 Post Number: 14
steved2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 2:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last I heard, part of the timberline trail was washed out at one of the crossings.  It seems every year the trail crew recuts a path through the washes.  I've gone prior to the trail crew-it's an experience, but not fun.

If you want an easy weekend trip, I think I've seen people backpacking the trail to Ramona Falls just west of Hood (it's at lower elevation).
13 replies since Oct. 06 2012, 7:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking Oregon
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions