2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Text msg to e-mail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 6:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone know how to get Android text messages from the phone to e-mail? I can manage to forward them to another phone, but not to e-mail.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=160203
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is not quite what I need.  My carrier is T-mobile and the text messages are already on my phone.  I do have a gmail account (but not a Google number) that I could forward them to, but I rarely use that account and was trying to send them to a yahoo account.  

That link is something that needs to be done before the text messages are received and requires a Google number.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a G'zOne Ravine on Verizon and all I do is forward the text to the email address I want it to go to.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 07 2012, 4:23 pm)
I have a G'zOne Ravine on Verizon and all I do is forward the text to the email address I want it to go to.

But, the question is "How?".  

There is a forward option when I right click on the message that brings up a a list of recent contacts to select from and a window to enter a different number - one other than those on the contact list.  If I type an e-mail address in that window the message does not go to that address.  Apparently it goes to the bit bucket in the sky.

grrrr new toys can be fun and frustrating too!

--------------

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a bit blunt but perhaps simply copy-paste?

I'm offerred a "copy" option in my messages (iPhone) and from there it's a short hop to an email...
 Post Number: 7
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 07 2012, 4:48 pm)
It's a bit blunt but perhaps simply copy-paste?

I'm offerred a "copy" option in my messages (iPhone) and from there it's a short hop to an email...

I have already tried that.  I can copy it, but when I get over to e-mail I can't find a way to paste it.

Besides I need to take the to/from info and time-stamp with it, not just the text.  

Maybe it's not possible to do what I want.  :(

--------------

Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use sms forwarding - get it on play - works great.
 Post Number: 9
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Oct. 07 2012, 5:37 pm)
I use sms forwarding - get it on play - works great.

Thanks.   That looks like the best possibility yet.  Now if I can just get it configured correctly.  So far, I have not been able to get anything through, but I suspect it's just me putting in come setting wrong.  I'll get it eventually.

--------------

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If there's an app like that you're probably right that it wasn't possible "natively".
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For whatever reason (maybe configuration problems I had when setting it up) I have it forward to my gmail, then retrieve the gmail via outlook on my computer.]

I say that because generally I redirect all email to my own url, so the only reason I might have sent the sms forwarding to a gmail account was because of configuration problems
 Post Number: 12
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Oct. 07 2012, 6:16 pm)
For whatever reason (maybe configuration problems I had when setting it up) I have it forward to my gmail, then retrieve the gmail via outlook on my computer.]

I say that because generally I redirect all email to my own url, so the only reason I might have sent the sms forwarding to a gmail account was because of configuration problems

I was able to get a new message to go to the phone and to e-mail.  But, I still have not managed to get those that are already on my phone to forward to email.   :(

I will mess with it more later.

--------------

Post Number: 13
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On my Crackberry (which is nothing like your phone), while in the text message I want to forward, I go to menu and then "Forward As...." then "e-mail". Type in my e-mail I want to forward to and off it goes.

Is there an online manual or something for the phone that might help?
 Post Number: 14
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Oct. 07 2012, 7:08 pm)
On my Crackberry (which is nothing like your phone), while in the text message I want to forward, I go to menu and then "Forward As...." then "e-mail". Type in my e-mail I want to forward to and off it goes.

Is there an online manual or something for the phone that might help?

There's nothing about it in the manual I have.  

And there is no "Forward As..." option on this phone.  

Oh well, it is beginning to look like forwarding text messages that are already on the phone is not an option without an add on app.  I will have to try to find one specific to that function because the one I downloaded seems to work only on new text messages.

--------------

Post Number: 15
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not.  Do your text message conversations show up in a speech bubble like on a cartoon?  If so, place your finger on top of the message you wish to forward and hold it there until a menu pops up.  One of the options is forward.  Select that and type in the email address you wish to send it to and select "send".  I can only do this with one bubble at a time and not the entire conversation.  I hope this helps.

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 16
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Oct. 07 2012, 10:15 pm)
I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not.  Do your text message conversations show up in a speech bubble like on a cartoon?  If so, place your finger on top of the message you wish to forward and hold it there until a menu pops up.  One of the options is forward.  Select that and type in the email address you wish to send it to and select "send".  I can only do this with one bubble at a time and not the entire conversation.  I hope this helps.

That is what I have been doing and it is not working.  

Good description!   My office is close to a T-Mobile store.  Maybe I will go in there today and have them look at it.

--------------

Post Number: 17
?

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was T-Mobile any help?

???

--------------
My website

My Blog

Post Number: 18
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I was going to suggest you head to the store and have them show you how.  Hope that worked for you.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dunno if this is helpful (I have Verizon), but I've always just entered the e-mail address into the "to" box of the text message when I wanted to do that.  It's managed to find its way to that e-mail every time, even Yahoo addresses. It didn't matter whether it was in my contacts list or not.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Oct. 09 2012, 9:33 am)
Was T-Mobile any help?

???

I have not been there yet.  Maybe tomorrow.

--------------

Post Number: 21
?

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Oct. 09 2012, 8:06 pm)

(Cloudwalker @ Oct. 09 2012, 9:33 am)
Was T-Mobile any help?

???

I have not been there yet.  Maybe tomorrow.

Tomorrow?  You would think someone with a "smartphone" would be a little more efficient at organizing their daily schedule. :D

--------------
My website

My Blog

Post Number: 22
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Finally, I was able to get it to work.

What was the problem?

Well, it seems that this phone has a tendency to randomly change its configuration settings.  The blankityblank DATA setting was not checked!

I was messing with it again this evening and decided to check the settings since it has already unchecked important things once.  Sure enough the DATA setting was not checked.   I checked it, tested again and bingo, the text message forwarded to my e-mail.

The settings have mysteriously changed two times in six weeks.   It happens again, I will be having a serious talk with T-Mobile.

--------------

Post Number: 23
?

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tomorrow, right?

:;):

--------------
My website

My Blog

Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Oct. 09 2012, 8:21 pm)
Tomorrow, right?

Is another day!
 Post Number: 25
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 09 2012, 9:29 pm)

(Cloudwalker @ Oct. 09 2012, 8:21 pm)
Tomorrow, right?

Is another day!

Scarlet had it all figured out.   :;):

--------------

24 replies since Oct. 07 2012, 6:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Text msg to e-mail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions