2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Putting Up For Winter, Anyone Else?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been very creative lately -

Hot Pepper Jelly -

Rhubarb Blueberry Cinnamon Honey Jam -

Rhubarb Honey Jam -

These were for my "winter coat"  :cool:

Happily living like it is 1912 with a 2012 interwebs connection......

I know a couple of you do as well  :;):

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not any more. I gave up canning. I do miss it...maybe....not. I gave away all my perishable supplies like lids. During my divorce, I wound up with all of the water bath and pressure cookers. Just melted down my mother of all Kitchenaide food processor making FBC meals. New small Cuisnart next paycheck.

Sarbar's stuff does look lucisous though.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in the land of perpetual summer, not to mention the city, so I don't do the kind of canning and freezing we did when I was a kid. But it's time for me to gather apples and make applesauce.  And I often end up freezing some of the stuff from the CSA box, because we can't use it fast enough.  Tonight it was a batch of wax beans.

Any good ideas for really small grapes with seeds?  They aren't much fun to eat.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should be, but I've been feeling pretty lousy and my garden didn't produce the way it should have this year. I have this idea in my head I'm going to hit the farmers markets in the next few weeks and get some of the less pretty things at a discount to put up. Yours looks very pretty!

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a bunch of food dehydrated for fall and winter backpacking.
 Post Number: 6
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was 15* here yesterday morn... still fall ;)

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 7
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just blackberry jam and pie and applesauce and pie and frozen fruit for pie in winter

A long time ago used to can with my grandma. Tons of corn beans tomatoes and sauerkraut.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't been doing any canning but both of the dehydrators have been running steady for the past coouple of days. Currently doing Grannie Smith apples.
 Post Number: 9
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 07 2012, 8:56 pm)
Any good ideas for really small grapes with seeds?  They aren't much fun to eat.

I got a big bunch of small purple ones with seeds - I am thinking some kind of concorde? They smelled like that at least. Anyhow, I washed and cut in half, then popped the seeds out. I dehydrated them into raisins.

I also dried golden raisins (seedless) from tiny wine grapes -

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been dehydrating a lot as well - pears "liberated" from the house across the street that is not lived in currently:

I make our almond milk every 2 to 3 days and dry the almond meal left over, then use it later in recipes.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm.  I could try seeding and drying.  A lot of work, but I hate the thought that they'll go to waste.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lol...yeah, I didn't want them to go to waste either. And I realized that if I left them on the counter Walker would eat them - seeds and all. If I bring grapes home from the farmers market it is like watching a vacuum suck down them!

--------------
 Post Number: 13
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have canned 24 pints of tomatoes, and will do another 18 or 20 pints to finish up today.  I use onion, garlic, and lots of peppers.  The first batch had just sweet peppers, and today I'm going to use some sweet and hot peppers.  I cook with it all winter...all kinds of soups, stews, chili, sauces, casseroles.  After I finish the tomatoes, I'll have about a bushel of peppers left, about 7 or 8 different kinds.  I'll probably chop and freeze them in portions for cooking.  I've canned lots of pear jam and pear sauce (19 pints I think...I'd have to go count).  Saturday I dug a 35 foot row of carrots and layered them with garden dirt in a big airtight container.  They should keep that way in the cold garage for several months.  I've dehydrated eight big cabbages.  I'm curing 16 winter squash in the sun this week (acorn, butternut, delicata).  I'll store them in the garage for about three months, and then cook & freeze whatever is left. The onions are hanging in the garage.  I put about 20 quarts of green beans in the freezer.  I still need to dig about 50 hills of potatoes this week.  I have three overly large yellow zucchinis left.  I'm going to shred them & bake muffins for the freezer to feed my kids for breakfast & snacks.
Everything but the pears came from my garden.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 14
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang girl. You make me feel like a slacker ;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't help it.  It's in my Mormon DNA.  ;)
I just remembered I have to harvest the herb garden this week sometime, some for drying and some for freezing.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sarbar, your jams and fruits look beautiful!  Our garden didn't produce much surplus as we wanted--it was just too hot here in SW MO.  We got a good patch of late tomatoes and a few peppers once the heat broke though.

My wife was able to can about a dozen quarts of apple pie filling from some apples she and the kids picked from a neighbors tree.

I'm going to start some broccoli, spinach, and lettuce for a winter crop as well as finish up the construction of a large cold frame to grow them in.  We're attempting to grow some tomatoes and herbs indoors this winter too.

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 17
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Oct. 08 2012, 12:06 pm)
I just remembered I have to harvest the herb garden this week sometime, some for drying and some for freezing.

is it ok to freeze my basil?  And if so, what do I do?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 18
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any ideas for @ 1000 carrots?  I pickled some last year, but they were not a hit in my house.  Any carrot slaw recipies?  Or what else I can do with them?  Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 19
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 07 2012, 10:56 pm)
I live in the land of perpetual summer,

Summer??  It's freezing where you live!  ;)

And yes, it's *practically* freezing here today, too, but like RD, we can get fresh locally grown produce year-round.  I usually eat seasonally and locally, so I rarely put anything up.  I did make a couple of jars of persimmon jelly because they were soooooooo nice and ripe, but that's it this year.

(And we've already eaten one jar!).

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 08 2012, 12:25 pm)

Yes you can freeze basil. In fact you can buy in in small little 1/2 inch square ice cube tray type packaging. It's already chopped up in them.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 08 2012, 12:27 pm)
Any ideas for @ 1000 carrots?  I pickled some last year, but they were not a hit in my house.  Any carrot slaw recipies?  Or what else I can do with them?  Thanks

You could cook them and then dehyrate them to add to recipes. If you could shred them first and then cook them some they would dehydrate and rehydrate easier.
 Post Number: 22
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 07 2012, 11:56 pm)
I live in the land of perpetual summer, not to mention the city, so I don't do the kind of canning and freezing we did when I was a kid. But it's time for me to gather apples and make applesauce.  And I often end up freezing some of the stuff from the CSA box, because we can't use it fast enough.  Tonight it was a batch of wax beans.

Juice them. You can either drink the juice, or use to make jelly, etc. I've done that with wild grapes.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 23
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome Sarbar!

My garden behaved strangely... lots of corn, TONS of tomatoes, good basil, so-so oregano, poor peas/beans, poor lettuce, non-existent apples. The squash looked great, better than any other year in fact. But they didn't set fruit until 2-3 weeks ago. I'm afraid it'll frost one of the next couple of nights and destroy the fruit. The only thing worth canning was tomatoes, but we're set until next summer!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 08 2012, 10:25 am)

It freezes very well and keeps its fresh flavor.  Just rinse, dry thoroughly, and freeze.  You can freeze whole leaves, or chop it first.  If you chop it, it's handy to put it in ice cube trays and cover with water.  When they're frozen, you can turn the little basil cubes out into a freezer bag for storage.  Then when you're cooking, just plop a little ice cube in the pan.  
Freezing will cause basil to turn very dark, almost black.  If you want to keep the bright green color, give it a rough chop in a food processor and drizzle in a little olive oil until everything is just lightly coated.  The oil coating will keep it from turning black.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Oct. 08 2012, 10:02 am)

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 07 2012, 10:56 pm)
I live in the land of perpetual summer,

Summer??  It's freezing where you live!  ;)

And yes, it's *practically* freezing here today, too, but like RD, we can get fresh locally grown produce year-round.  I usually eat seasonally and locally, so I rarely put anything up.  I did make a couple of jars of persimmon jelly because they were soooooooo nice and ripe, but that's it this year.

(And we've already eaten one jar!).

Okay, I live within shouting distance of the land of perpetual summer :D

But,yeah.  My CSA delivers all year, though it does get a bit heavy on kale and collards.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 08 2012, 10:40 am)

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 07 2012, 11:56 pm)

Juice them. You can either drink the juice, or use to make jelly, etc. I've done that with wild grapes.

Maybe stupid question. . . How do I juice them?

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 27
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I envy Ponderosa the huge garden.  I was pleased with my tomatoes, though.  I put a couple of quarts of diced tomatoes in the freezer, and pretty much everything I cook has fresh tomatoes in it just now. The crop is tapering, though.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Oct. 08 2012, 10:38 am)

(bad knees @ Oct. 08 2012, 12:27 pm)

You could cook them and then dehyrate them to add to recipes. If you could shred them first and then cook them some they would dehydrate and rehydrate easier.

I peel, dice and then blanch them quickly, then dry. They last forever in mason jars!

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can mash the grapes gently, then strain through a jelly bag, using gravity to do the job. It takes awhile but is hands off.

Basil can also be stored in olive oil, it helps preserve the color. Freeze the same way.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I have just a few carrots,I shred and dry.  You can also make and dry shredded carrot salads.  Just add water on the trail and have crunchy salad for lunch or dinner.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
41 replies since Oct. 07 2012, 11:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Putting Up For Winter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions