2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Escaped!, (and probably lost)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 2:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Female pit bull/boston terrier.  Escaped past both standard and underground electric fence.  May have bribed local fox.  Known to be a bit of a spaz (terrier).  Smart when she wants to be, not when she needs to be.  May have killed possum and squirrel in the past, and has an unusually high pain threshold (pit bull).  DO NOT attempt to scratch her behind her ears or let her on your couch unless you really really really want to steal her from us.

Weakness: panics during thunderstorms (stupid terrier).

Squirrels, rabbits, chickens, guinea hens and the like should stay behind locked doors until escapee is captured.

This is a two speed dog - oscillates between manic play mode and sleep mode at her sole discretion.

Has embedded chip and poor sense of direction.

Answers to Shadow (sometimes).  Alias: Doofus, Snookums.

A reward poster will be taped to the door at Lou's next to all of the trucks and boats for sale.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even with the chip do not trust the shelters!.

This sad story happened recently:
http://abcnews.go.com/US....ILTZXQM

Though odds are she'll be back at the door sooner than you'd expect.
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck with that!

Where in the world do you think this dog could be?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where should we be looking for Doofus?
 Post Number: 5
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you check for Snookums on the couch in the other room?
 Post Number: 6
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope you find her soon.

That's the trouble with the in-ground invisible fence...a sufficiently motivated dog will endure the few seconds of shock to get to the other side (it quits shocking them when they're across.)  We've ended up using using a radio collar (like this) on our pug...bad car chaser when she's out.  Very stubborn, that one, but learned the limits in about an hour.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doofus is typing on the computer, looking for a lost dog.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF - that's sad.  My wife plans to call the local shelters.

dd, spindle - she's most likely in the woods chasing squirrels and barking at leaves.  Failing that she'll track some deer or eat something that won't agree with her.  She'll do so until she's totally worn out, hungry, or a storm comes.  But now she probably won't be able to find her way back in.

MsD - yes.  And in the shed, the basement, etc.

ht - correct, but she's always been afraid of it in the past.  It runs right next to the fence that keeps the deer out.  She must have gotten under it somewhere.  The electric fence may not be working.

Zeke, you're also correct, but I was here first.   :p
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok.  I'll go check northern NJ/eastern PA.  brb.  I'll call if I find her but I'm not putting a smelly, probably going to puke doggeh in my car.  You'll have to come get her.
 Post Number: 10
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Oct. 08 2012, 12:47 pm)
Ok.  I'll go check northern NJ/eastern PA.  brb.  I'll call if I find her but I'm not putting a smelly, probably going to puke doggeh in my car.  You'll have to come get her.

Okay. And I'll keep an eye out here in the Southwest.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last seen in Anne Arundel County, MD (think Annapolis, U.S. Naval Academy).  spindle, it'll take her a coupla days to get up to you unless she hitches a ride with a trucker or a biker gang.  She's not likely to puke, but she'll be panting, so I'll reimburse you for a drool towel, or even a nice silnylon tarp.

dd, if she makes it out to you I'll be shocked.  She's not a fan of water, so she'll have to stow away on a barge to cross the Mississippi.
 Post Number: 12
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Darn dogs. Ween themselves into our lives and take off like bats out of hell without warning.

I hope she finds an ample supply of squirrels and such until she's found or makes her way home.
 Post Number: 13
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Captured!

Get this.

My wife and I met about 20 years ago when we used to do volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity.  Of the many houses I helped build, one was for Charlie D.  A couple of years later we built one for his brother Bernard D.  While I was driving around looking for the dog today I said to myself, "Self, that looks like Bernard's house, where SWMBO left, then came back and wrote her phone number on a scrap piece of OSB and gave it to me."

Sure enough, Doofus was at Bernard's house.  One of Bernard's sons, John, has some kids and they found Stinkpot.
 Post Number: 14
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope she comes home soon! (Scratch that)

Glad you found her!!

Yea for numbskull!

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 15
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, while octopus girl was out looking, trying to help, hoping to get the $100 reward, ol' Zeke was jes' laffin' at me.  John D's a hunnert dollah richer.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whew.  I can stop searching truck stops on the interstate now.

Some sketchy characters out there!

Glad she's home safe!
 Post Number: 17
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here I was all set to alert my friends in Annapolis and my family in Edgewater...

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 18
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:01 pm)

Glad she's home safe!

Yeah.  I was listening to the police band on the radio and there was a warning about a woman with an octopus on her head stalking truckers, asking, "Have you seen Doofus?"
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:23 pm)

(spindle @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:01 pm)

Glad she's home safe!

Yeah.  I was listening to the police band on the radio and there was a warning about a woman stalking truckers, asking, "Have you seen Doofus?"

You wouldn't believe how many phone numbers I collected.

It's disturbing, really.
 Post Number: 20
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:12 pm)
Here I was all set to alert my friends in Annapolis and my family in Edgewater...

Edgewater?  It's a bit of a story, but one of the two addresses for our one house is in Edgewater.
 Post Number: 21
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had some trying experiences with lost dogs, some of which have turned out extraordinarily well against the odds of time and distance. I'm glad your 4-legged pal is home safe and sound.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
-Mark Twain

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 22
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Oct. 08 2012, 5:23 pm)
Yeah.  I was listening to the police band on the radio and there was a warning about a woman with an octopus on her head stalking truckers, asking, "Have you seen Doofus?"

:laugh:

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 5:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:25 pm)

Edgewater?  It's a bit of a story, but one of the two addresses for our one house is in Edgewater.

Indeed, Edgewater.  Now I suppose there's a good reason why your home has two addresses?

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 5:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Oct. 10 2012, 5:39 am)

(reubenstump @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:25 pm)

Indeed, Edgewater.  Now I suppose there's a good reason why your home has two addresses?

The post office nearest us is PO boxes only - no delivery.  So like many here, we have two house numbers on two streets in two towns and two zip codes.  The Edgewater post office delivers.
 Post Number: 25
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 6:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Total time outside the perimeter:  10 hours.  HSF was right - much sooner than I expected.

I may have identified where she got out.  Might get around to reinforcing it this weekend.  Need to check electric fence.

She was completely exhausted and a bit beat up.  No telling what sort of adventures she had, but she barely moved for 24 hours after I brought her back.  Didn't want to eat or anything.  Had a hard time just sitting up and lying down.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 6:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having had my dog once escape for 3 days, get poochie over to the vet and have her checked out.  My dog came back with a bladder infection from drinking dirty water and popped positive on a Lymes disease test.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 6:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds exactly like our little Cicely.  Do her teeth chatter when a storm is coming?

AKA:  Spoonlicker!

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 28
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, she pants, drools, and follows us around incessantly.  We get wet spots on the carpet.
27 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 2:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Escaped!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions