2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: piggies down!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 of my 5 piggies aren't happy right now....

Last night, just after midnight, my youngest (6mo) decided he was hungry. I, being the the good dad, offered to help the missus out and go prepare him a bottle for his snack.

Just short of the bottom of the stairs, I slipped. My feet came out from under me and I went down. My left foot went crashing into the metal baby gate secured to the wall just below me. It failed to move. I squirmed in agony at my foot as I rolled on down the stairs to the bottom. I did my best not to scream and wake the whole house... in case the loud fall hadn't already done so. Geez.

I was sitting there, in pain. Wanting to grab my foot, but couldn't because it was throbbing pretty bad. I managed a yell up the stairs letting the missus know that I was down and she would have to do the bottle duties. She came down the stairs, slightly annoyed at my failed attempt to help.

She stepped right over me on her way to the kitchen. I laid on the floor. I merely asked for her to turn on the light, in which case, I realize that was now probably a bad idea. She hit the switch as she stepped over me again, heading back upstairs (w/ Mr.E in her arms). That's when I lost it.

The light revealed more than just a kicked gate and hurt foot. My left pinky toe was pointing to the left, away from my foot. Toe #4, yea, it was pointing to the left too, resting on top of the pinky toe. And toe #3, again, a leftward point, on top of #4, and bleeding. I nearly threw up. I mustered the phrase, "ice please..." as I started sliding to the kitchen myself. Now frustrated, my wife walks over me again, gets me a frozen cold pack, and proceedes back upstairs. To add insult to injury, it wasn't ice in a bag, it was one of those silly looking pre-frozen boo-boo packs for little kids. This one was shaped like Elmo. So, there I was, laying in the floor, holding a frozen Elmo, and wondering just how to fix this...

Knowing not what to do, I straightened them out the best I knew how... You know, bend them back into place and get them to resemble something more of a foot. I moved a toe, put ice on it, laid down to avoid passing out. Repeated. Shortly after the second toe, the missus came back downstairs to see what I was whining about and to ask if I was coming to bed at all... and then, THEN, she realizes that I wasn't just faking it.

I had one more toe to straighten out and the first two surely didn't tickle so I was hesitating. She got me "real ice" as I reset the third.

I cought my breath and she asked, "well, are you going to the ER, or just dealing with it?" Now, I've only gone to the ER on my own once, and that wasn't fun, so I really wasn't wanting to go. She informed me, that the kids were finally sleeping, and she'd like to go to bed if that was possible... so in women's code, that meant, I wasn't going to the ER, because I know I was in no shape to drive.

I took some advil and lightly wrapped my toes in ice as I went to bed. Let's just say, the weight of a bedsheet and light blanket is equivalent to 4 bricks resting on your foot, when you have some damaged toes.

I went to the dr this morning, you know, to have it all checked out. Turns out, I did a good one.

I dislocated the pinky toe and successfully reset it last night. I dislocated and broke #4. I broke it clean, right at the joint. The good news is that I manged to reset it correctly too. Toe #3, dislocated and it was not set properly.

So, yea, while still in pain, the dr had to squeeze ever so slightly (read: w/ the pressure of a vise grip) and pull it to roll it into place. I cried again there in the office.

Turns out, the blood was from the gate peeling back the outer layer of skin just ever so slightly as well.

So, yea, welcome to Monday.

Six weeks in an air boot, possibly 8 before I can resume normal activities. Not cool.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You don't go halfway on anything, do you LS?  Dayum, but that's painful to read.

Get better soon.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, I'm sorry to hear it.  You've more self-control than I--I'd have cussed a blue streak and then passed out.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

owwww

I have to say if my wife was that disinterested in my wellbeing after falling down the stairs and breaking and/or dislocating three toes, she'd never hear the end of it.  she would be driving me to the ER because I'm not going to be able to fall asleep with a throbbing untreated injury and therefore, she would not be falling asleep.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 5
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure whether to laugh, cry, make a joke, sympathize, or all of the above, but that's quite an adventure.

My dad broke one bone in his whole life - his little toe.  'Course, back in the '40s they gave him a cast up to his knee.

Good luck.  :)
 Post Number: 6
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So hiking this weekend or what. Shake it off it's only a flesh wound.

Feel better soon

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 7
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Oct. 08 2012, 2:25 pm)
You don't go halfway on anything, do you LS?  Dayum, but that's painful to read.

Get better soon.

Yea, something about "go big or go home"...

maybe I should quit trying to live up to that mantra.

:)

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya know, with two under 3 I totally get why she wanted to go back to bed :D My husband hated going downstairs in the dark with Walker so we kept a tub of formula and bottles filled with water in our bedroom. Now all I do is fall over furniture in the dark upstairs...lol!

am cringing in pain for you! The good news? Your wall studs held. Heehee!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 9
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Oct. 08 2012, 2:49 pm)
owwww

I have to say if my wife was that disinterested in my wellbeing after falling down the stairs and breaking and/or dislocating three toes, she'd never hear the end of it.  she would be driving me to the ER because I'm not going to be able to fall asleep with a throbbing untreated injury and therefore, she would not be falling asleep.

Yea. I did feel a we bit helpless there... and the sypathy train wasn't leaving the station.

I think honestly, she was just frustrated w/ MrE just not wanting to sleep last night and waking up so much. And knowing that too much more noise and we'd have both kids awake and that wouldn't have been very pleasant either.

But this morning she did apologize at the "lack of sympathy"....

--------------

Post Number: 10
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 08 2012, 2:40 pm)
Damn, I'm sorry to hear it.  You've more self-control than I--I'd have cussed a blue streak and then passed out.

I imagine had I not been on the verge of losing it, I would've been able to muster enough words to make a trucker look bad...

It's one thing to see photos of peoples fingers/toes going the wrong way, but when it's yours... whoa.

--------------

Post Number: 11
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry. I got a chuckle at your expense. I thank ye well, sai.

hehe.... Hoping you have a quick recovery.

I tripped over my shoes Saturday afternoon and went fist first into some molding around my closet. It took me a minute to decipher that I hadn't broken anything. But the bruises sure do hurt.
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouchy

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yee-ouch!  I've banged my foot a few times hard enough to think something like that had happened, hard enough to be afraid to look, but so far no trips to the ER.   Heal fast!
 Post Number: 14
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch... I winced most of my way through that story.  I'm sorry LS, but you'll always have a good story to tell when it's getting ready to rain and you remember the pain.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 15
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting how I hear about this right after I ask you to run the Peachtree Road Race with me.  If you don't want to just say so.   :D

Heal up, man. The only bones I have broken are toes and although there are worse to break, they suuuuuuck.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 16
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dude you are the Man for resetting those!  That truly is a horrible story.  You can still sneak in some time on the trainer after the swelling goes down, right? :p   The only story I've heard lately that is worse is the woman who reset her dislocated ankle during the trail race last weekend.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 17
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My toes hurt just reading your story! I guess it is sympathy pains  :)

I hope they don't hurt too much now. With that boot thing on, the toes probably feel pretty good, for now. Heal fast!

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 18
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe you're the new toesnorth.  And toeseast, and toeswest, and...
 Post Number: 19
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Oct. 08 2012, 7:01 pm)

:D

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 20
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yowza, that sounds like a bad time.  Time to sping for a decent single malt?
 Post Number: 21
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Oct. 08 2012, 5:56 pm)
Dude you are the Man for resetting those!  That truly is a horrible story.  

Feeling bad for you, I've stubbed a toe or two but that. When body parts are pointing in the wrong direction thats when this boy has to look in the other direction, blood & guts not so much. Heal up soon.
 Post Number: 22
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

YOWZA!!  I'm cringing here on your behalf.

But yes, if I had a baby that I was trying to get to sleep, I would have left you till the baby was cared for ... no sense in having everyone in the house miserable and in pain.  :;):

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 23
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch, been there, done that, not good :(

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 24
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Oct. 08 2012, 4:01 pm)

Well, *that* was cringe-worthy!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 25
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch!

Oh the irony. Something made to protect your children injures you.  :laugh:

Your wife should have at least snapped a few pics.  :D
 Post Number: 26
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Oct. 08 2012, 5:46 pm)
Interesting how I hear about this right after I ask you to run the Peachtree Road Race with me.  If you don't want to just say so.   :D

Heal up, man. The only bones I have broken are toes and although there are worse to break, they suuuuuuck.

That's July 4. I have time!

--------------

Post Number: 27
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Oct. 08 2012, 5:56 pm)
Dude you are the Man for resetting those!  That truly is a horrible story.  You can still sneak in some time on the trainer after the swelling goes down, right? :p   The only story I've heard lately that is worse is the woman who reset her dislocated ankle during the trail race last weekend.

Two weeks and I can get on the trainer. The doc wants to get the swelling out and get the healing started before I stress it on the trainer.

I have a feeling that will have to be my safe haven for a while...

--------------

Post Number: 28
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:01 pm)

:)

We have a winner!!

Ok, in my wife's defense, yes, she is normally very caring and would have taken care of me. But that night, Mr.E just wouldn't calm down. He had been waking up nearly every hour or so and just wanted to be held. MrsSheep was just getting frustrated of getting almost in a deep sleep and then being woken up.

Plus, she didn't quite see just how my toes looked until she came back down the stairs. Her goal was to get him back to sleep before he woke the other child up, which I understand.

Oh well. I'll let this one slide :)

It is a funny story, and I probably will remind her occasionally how she left me on the floor to reset my own toes as she contemplated going back to bed :)

--------------

Post Number: 29
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear of your tow woe
 Post Number: 30
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait.  toesakimbo - you only have 5 piggies (toes) on 2 hogs (feet)?  This could be more serious than I thought...
31 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 3:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply piggies down!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions