2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: You're backpacking/hiking quirks, Do you have any?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me, my friend's and family will agree, that I'll have these lofty goals for trips and then as it gets closer I sorta get cold feet.  I get weirded out by things, like the whole getting ready to go process, etc.  It's a mental block and I don't know how to get rid of it.  Most of the time I just plow through it and once on the road, am having the time of my life.

I also don't eat a lot on the trail.  I'm a pretty big guy and people don't understand it but when I'm sitting around camp, I don't need to be chowing down food like a madman.  On a recent over night trip with my brothers, they hoofed down three freezedried meals and were looking for more.  Me, I was happy with a few bites and a snickers.

I am also a very light sleeper on the trail, so I hear every bump in the night.  Drives me crazy, my wife will be asleep in five minutes after her head hits the pillow, but I will be up for an hour.

Anyone else got anything similar?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will pack, and re-pack, and re-pack ad infinitum until I have everything JUST RIGHT... weight distribution, access to snacks, access to meals, access to extra clothing, etc. Some here have seen my OCD at work. It ain't pretty.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The list is too long...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like solo travel.
 Post Number: 5
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the way out of town, I like to leave early, be at the trailhead early, and always on time.  I don't do well with people dilly-dallying around the morning of.

I was once asked to exit the interstate so someone could grab some stove fuel at an outdoor store.  :angry:

Normally though, I'm laid back, relaxed, and nowhere near that anal.  Weird.
 Post Number: 6
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When the legs are moving I really hate the sound of human voices.

I'm not overly fond of them when not moving either, but the irritation is more manageable.  Conversation is difficult until after dinner and some alcohol reaches the bloodstream.
 Post Number: 7
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend to get a late start. Oh well.

I tend to hike solo but will tolerate one or two more.

I don't rise and shine. I'll wait and stay in the bag till I'm good and ready to get up.

Lose dogs really bug me.

I don't like it when someone plays the leadership role if I'm in a group. I don't like decisions being made for me.

I really really don't like to hear music in campsites or on trails. If I ever came across Les Stroud playing his harmonica, I'd probably knock it out of his mouth and into the deepest canyon around. No, really I would.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Using myself as a point of reference, no I don't have any quirks.   :p
 Post Number: 9
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like to buy all new gear and not try it out before I head out?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My big one is this:
I really need a good night's sleep before the first day in the backcountry. The first day is often a tough haul. Sleep translates roughly to energy level.

Also, I don't like carrying weight on my back. Oh nevermind.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 11
Squilax Search for posts by this member.
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 08 2012, 4:52 pm)

I don't rise and shine. I'll wait and stay in the bag till I'm good and ready to get up.

I agree with both of these...

That, and I am a plodder. I like to take my time and NOT BE RUSHED either when actually hiking or when breaking camp.

This is supposed to be relaxing, not like we're "on the clock"!  :angry:

Oh, and why don't you like harmonicas? I usually bring one along although I don't always play it.  ???  LOL

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 08 2012, 5:23 pm)
Using myself as a point of reference, no I don't have any quirks.   :p

Amazing enough, the same is true with me! :D

Yet everybody I hike with is just full of quirks. :p

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Squilax @ Oct. 08 2012, 5:54 pm)

(desert dweller @ Oct. 08 2012, 4:52 pm)

I agree with both of these...

That, and I am a plodder. I like to take my time and NOT BE RUSHED either when actually hiking or when breaking camp.

This is supposed to be relaxing, not like we're "on the clock"!  :angry:

Oh, and why don't you like harmonicas? I usually bring one along although I don't always play it.  ???  LOL

You DO play a mean tree branch though.

:D
 Post Number: 14
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm also a very light sleeper, but do surprisingly well outdoors.  Well, relatively speaking...  I'm also a side sleeper, with a bit of toss and turn thrown in, which doesn't help.

Like HSF, I also like solo.  No one to wait for or negotiate with.

UB, I'm with you regarding early.  If I'da been in the car I'da tied 'the fuel fool down while you floored it.

Ditto with spindle on quiet.

So I guess I'm just a hodgepodge of the rest of you.  Maybe I should start randomly reposting some of your replies.   :p

And like big_load, I'm perfect, except for my quirks.   :D
 Post Number: 15
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread is well timed

I don't like fair weather hikers. If you plan a trip  go. Rain or shine cold or hot. And don't BS about your capabilities.

I went on a meetup group hike that had this as the description

"As we are heading into fall and the daylight hours are short, this will be a very fast paced trip with two 16 mile long days occurring, with the bare minium of 11 miles/day. This trip is geared to the die hard person who gets up and goes early and those who are physically fit to maintain a hard pace of 3- 4 miles an hour. Someone who is geared to lightweight backpacking."

The leader and his buddy could barely make a 2 MPH average. Drove out a few days before the stash food at each camp. They were state park camps. They had sore ankles and blister

Seemed silly and they cut the trip short a day and shortened the mileage due to weather and ability in their part

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 16
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Squilax @ Oct. 08 2012, 2:54 pm)

I love listening to music. Just not in the wild.

The only sound I want is the song in my head, the footfall of boots, the tap of treking poles and the call of the wild in its various forms.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 17
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Oct. 08 2012, 6:12 pm)
"As we are heading into fall and the daylight hours are short, this will be a very fast paced trip with two 16 mile long days occurring, with the bare minium of 11 miles/day. This trip is geared to the die hard person who gets up and goes early and those who are physically fit to maintain a hard pace of 3- 4 miles an hour. Someone who is geared to lightweight backpacking."

And you went of your own volition? I might do something like that as a personal challenge, but I wouldn't seek partners or put expectations like that on anyone I didn't already know pretty well.  It sounds utterly bereft of fun (aside from probably happening in NJ  :p ).   I would also be badly chagrined to come up short on my own well-publicized death march.
 Post Number: 18
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Oct. 08 2012, 1:20 pm)
On the way out of town, I like to leave early, be at the trailhead early, and always on time.  I don't do well with people dilly-dallying around the morning of....

+1

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 19
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post trip ritual... Stop a mom and pop restaurant for Prime Rib, hashbrowns w/ onions and cheese and a beer.  That get me thru the last afternoon, thinking about lunch on the way back home. If your from the GR area ya just might recognize me

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 20
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like to stop and look at everything, and I take a lot of pics. I always tell folks I will catch up whenever, don't wait on me. So don't get mad at me if I seem to be lagging behind. I hate being rushed when there's stuff to see or take pics of  :)

Please don't expect me to babysit/entertain you in camp. I tend to wander off to explore the area on my own.

Use your indoor voice when talking, even though you are outside. I hate hearing LOUD voices when I am outside.

I have more, but this is enough for now :p  :D

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 21
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We reach a destination and usually make a significant effort to locate as good as a camp spot as we might find  preferable well away from other groups even if we are dead tired and that requires wandering about a zone for half an hour.   Thus make clear to anyone we are not familiar with that upon arriving at some lake we are NOT just going to drop our gear at the first usable spot.  Most groups plunk down wherever a trail first meets a lake edge in the first beat up spot.  Then wonder why at the end of the day their destination 8 miles from a trailhead through otherwise virtually empty wilderness is suddenly crowded with neighbors.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 22
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Oct. 08 2012, 4:38 pm)
When the legs are moving I really hate the sound of human voices.

Same here. A few comments here and there are fine but a constant talker will drive me up a wall.
I guess this kinda qualifies..I don't really worry about getting hurt on the trail (Although I did on Quandary. But that was more of a burden to others concern) But before I go on a trip I am obsessed with not getting hurt and not being able to go.
Another thing is I have no sympathy for whining without a huge reason.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 23
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Screw the voices, I hate seeing other humans on MY trail.
 Post Number: 24
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After hearing Les play the harmonica, I totally agree with the sentiment. Although I think he's gotten better. As a side note, I'd love to spend a week in the bush with him. (sans the harmonica)

We check our list and check our list and check our list. And the whole time down the trail I can't ever shake the feeling we've forgotten something important, even tho we never have. *knock on wood* We'll repack a couple of times but I think most everyone does that. Seems like everything fits a little different each time.

We're not early risers, we're on vacation so we're not interested in getting up at the crack of dawn. Do that enough in the real world. We don't chat much on the trail unless we're in bear country. Then it's pretty limited to blind corners and hills.

Oh, and I hate it when I pass people on the trail and they don't say a word or look at you. For some reason it makes me nervous. I don't need a long drawn out conversation but at least acknowledge my presence. A simple "howdy" will do.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 25
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of my family and friends backpacking itself is quirky :p

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 26
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't like it when French Canadians pee directly on the trail while blasting Glass Tiger and other bad 80's Canadian music from the headphones hung around their necks.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 27
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On day hikes I try to spend as much time on the trail as possible.  The shorter the trail, the slower I'll hike and the longer I'll linger at stops.  People who like to run through the woods get annoyed with my slow pace.  

]On group hikes that I am not leading I usually let the group go on ahead so I can extend my time in the woods.  One of my trademark pictures that I post after a group hike is my car in the trailhead paring lot by itself with the caption "Last Man Hiking."
 Post Number: 28
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have quirks. I'm perfectly normal.

If I haven't slept well the night before or drank enough water, it really effects the way I hike the next day.

I hike slow on uphills. Please don't wait for me, you'll just get frustrated. Due to this, I like early morning starts (unless it's a short, easy day).

I like getting into camp and taking a nap or lounging around before dinner. I'm not a big fan of setting up and eating in the dark. This usually means I'm not going to get very much rest that night. Chain re-action. See above paragraph.
 Post Number: 29
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 08 2012, 9:16 pm)
French Canadians

We call them Queebs.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't be on any trail with a shirtless guy carrying a Ka-Bar AND French Canadians peeing everywhere like they are marking territory.

Some hikes are just too stressful.
66 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 3:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply You're backpacking/hiking quirks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions