2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I hope they can track this guy down< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 1:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A regular trek in California's Sequoia National Park took an unexpected turn with the discovery of a 40-year-old note lodged inside a canister.

Story

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh. Cool. :)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool.  Hope I see how it turns out.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How long before litter becomes romantic fodder?  

If I write a similar note on the inside of a cliff bar wrapper and stuff it between two rocks am I violating LNT?  Will all be forgiven if it is not found for 5 years?  10 years? or does it take 40?
 Post Number: 5
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Oct. 09 2012, 1:36 pm)

If I write a similar note on the inside of a cliff bar wrapper and stuff it between two rocks am I violating LNT?  Will all be forgiven if it is not found for 5 years?  10 years? or does it take 40?

Let's see, LNT was established during the 70's.  It was trash then and is trash now.  BUT, the trash was removed 40 years later...problem solved.

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 6
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Oct. 09 2012, 10:36 am)

There actually are many who detest peak registers for that very reason.  I personally do not bother signing peak registers nowadays.  Does HYOH apply?

But for some, even a phone booth in the wilderness is not only unobtrusive but inspiring.  *scratches head*

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When someone discovers a 40-year old GPS cache, I'm really going to be puzzled.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I figured it'd be 5 replies before someone found a reason to get upset about it. :laugh:  We beat that mark by a couple.  I'm impressed.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well to me it is interestiong how are viewsm do change over time about something like this.  40 years ago the ecological movement was in its infancy and stuff like this was not uncommon.  But today ...  

40 years from today, what will be the attitude about the things we thoughtlessly do now?  As our population grows and our demands for resources increases, we must be more forward thinking, IMO.  

So, stuff like this becomes a matter of reflection to help us see how to preemptively change our practices.  OTOH, guilt-tripping and fault-finding is a vain pursuit.

Rimi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10
OldKansan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trash, Graffiti, & other signs of man usually detract, but there are exception. There is a cave in Arkansas (Fitton), that is controlled by the park service. They cleaned up the damage where it had been a tour cave around 1900 or so. Also any graffiti deeper in the cave.

However, deep in the cave, several hours from the entrance, is a word of graffiti put there by the discoverers of the room it is in( in the 60s I think). It is a made up word from the states of the cavers. They did it with carbon from their carbide in a Gothic script. It is beautiful & has been left untouched. The room is named after it.

I once spent 15 hours in that cave with the room & this Graffiti as one of the highlights of the trip. If you have never caved, just imagine rock climbing at night right after a heavy rain. It is a way to go where few have been.
9 replies since Oct. 09 2012, 1:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I hope they can track this guy down
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions