2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacker friendly cities< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gGriffeth Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 7:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey I'm George, 20 years old from NY. My short term goal is to travel around a region of the country living out of a backpack, sustaining myself as I go. The way I look at it, all you need to be wealthy is to make more then you consume. I recently got back from a little experiment in south Florida, I stayed down there for a month and a half knowing no one when I arrived, with $60 in my pocket. I made it last as long as I could then found some work. I was able to sustain myself, and that was under what was in my opinion the worst conditions possible: humid florida summer, no natural habitats, tons of homeless people, much harder to find somewhere to sleep. Plus they're not use to backpackers, so if you're living out of a backpack they don't assume you have a home life and you're just taking a trip. To most people down there you're just another homeless person. In my hometown people are definitely more respected as hikers, but not down there.

What I'm looking for is what you guys consider the best city for a backpacker to dwell and check out for an extended period of time. I'm looking for a more forested area then south florida, but I'm really open to anywhere. It would be around January so somewhere with nice weather in the winter. Love looking around the forums and looking forward to your guys opinions!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This site is about wilderness backpacking. We do not backpack cities. The type of backpacking you refer to is European backpacking, a very different thing.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gGriffeth @ Oct. 09 2012, 5:00 pm)
It would be around January so somewhere with nice weather in the winter.

Gosh, January?? Sorry, but Florida is your best bet, or maybe southern California :D

Otherwise, Damascus, Virginia, is a trail-friendly town, at least during the spring, summer, and fall. They probably don't see many backpackers in the winter months. Damascus is known as the ""Trail Town" and hosts Trail Days every May. Google it for more info.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 4
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, come to Tucson

There is a camp of homeless people in the Santa Cruz River bottom just north of the el Camino del Cerro.
I see the smoke from their fires from work.
Every once and a while, somebody plinks a javelina and they roast peccary.

Weather here that time of year is the best.
Hope this helps

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Slab City", California...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slab_City

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
Del Gue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's some awesome opportunities in Lost Wages, NV.

Great viaduct campsites (though you'll have to share), plus the opportunity to win millions of $$$$.

--------------
Del Gue
 Post Number: 7
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trollin' much?

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 8
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Backpacking in the city?  Why that's an oxymoron.
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Denver is the place you want to be.  Lots of backpackers living on Colfax down by the Platte River.  Plus, some great opportunities to score some hookers and blow.
 Post Number: 10
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get a job
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So...If you choose not to have a home and live out of a backpack and just work when you have to...you're not homeless?

Do you maintain health and life insurance or am I paying for you when you get suddenly sick and can't afford to take care of it? What responsibility do you maintain in regards to the community you're "living" in? Where do you "live" that you are being responsible for the land you are staying on. Who's property is it and who pays for it?

You can call yourself a backpacker but the reality is, you're just a bum.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 12
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep
Like I said, get a job
 Post Number: 13
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say El Paso. You could quickly get work as a drug mule. And they don't have a problem that your are basically a dirty bum. You could also eat cheaply by gathering road kill and dumpster food.
 Post Number: 14
Squilax Search for posts by this member.
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WOW! Guess y'all scared this guy off the board...

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol guess it would take more to scare someone off an internet site. some people gave really cool suggestions, i forgot about slab city. and lol i have a job, im not a bum, im a 20 year old kid, dont be so quick to hate. just looking for a cool expirience.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 10 2012, 11:34 am)

lol pretty strong words for just reading a paragraph I wrote, but alright.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Oct. 09 2012, 9:25 pm)
Hey, come to Tucson

There is a camp of homeless people in the Santa Cruz River bottom just north of the el Camino del Cerro.
I see the smoke from their fires from work.
Every once and a while, somebody plinks a javelina and they roast peccary.

Weather here that time of year is the best.
Hope this helps

cool I'll check it out.
 Post Number: 18
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd stay away from the big cities. There's plenty of work down South. I'm sure someone willing to work could find some temp assignments.
Have fun! Be careful!
 Post Number: 19
Squilax Search for posts by this member.
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 7:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Oct. 10 2012, 11:58 pm)
I'd stay away from the big cities. There's plenty of work down South. I'm sure someone willing to work could find some temp assignments.
Have fun! Be careful!

+1

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 20
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Oct. 09 2012, 5:39 pm)
This site is about wilderness backpacking. We do not backpack cities. The type of backpacking you refer to is European backpacking, a very different thing.

Ah... not really. It's a simple matter to do real backpacking in Europe.

A lot of young kids go all over the world with their possessions in a backpack, stay at hostel's, etc. It's called traveling on the cheap.

What this guy is referring to is more like living as a modern hobo. Nothing wrong with that, but I can think of more rewarding ways to spend my time.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 21
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out this guy's blog - he "stealth" camps in San Diego

http://travel.baddalailama.com/2009/02/assault-on-san-diego.html

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 22
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gGriffeth @ Oct. 10 2012, 8:10 pm)

(Tigger @ Oct. 10 2012, 11:34 am)

lol pretty strong words for just reading a paragraph I wrote, but alright.

Yep. Strong words...Based upon the description of what you're doing, they fit. I don't like it when people choose to ignore their social responsibility.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 23
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cut him some slack, Tigger.  He's twenty.   Many of us were less than responsible at 20.  Some of us may even wish we'd been more adventurous and less responsible.

I'm not sure what he's doing is any more irresponsible than me taking a year after college to travel Europe, largely living out of a backpack and occasionally supplementing my fund with a little busking.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Care to admit here what busking means?  Or just what it was you performed?  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 25
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, when I was twenty I was slumming around Europe-or at least northern France-as well, though not living out of a backpack. I was wearing a suit, and knocking on doors in the rain. Great times, though.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 26
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 11 2012, 10:34 am)
Cut him some slack, Tigger.  He's twenty.   Many of us were less than responsible at 20.  .

+1  Agreed.  I lived a similar life style in my early 20s for months at a time.  Hitch-hiking, "bumming around", staying wherever I could and occasionally working to finance my next ramble.  I look back at it as one of the best and most educational times of my life and I won't trade it for anything. Of course, it was in the late 60s which was an extremely interesting time to be on the road.  I say "do it when you're young.  You've got th rest of your life to be responsible to society."

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 27
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Oct. 11 2012, 7:59 am)
Care to admit here what busking means?  Or just what it was you performed?  :)  

I can tell from part two of your question that you know it's street performance.  I had a musical instrument with me (okay, a recorder) and would just play show tunes and Simon and Garfunkle songs--whatever I could work out by ear.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could you play "Sad Lisa" for me?  I'll give you .50
 Post Number: 29
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Oct. 11 2012, 11:14 am)
Hey, when I was twenty I was slumming around Europe-or at least northern France-as well, though not living out of a backpack. I was wearing a suit, and knocking on doors in the rain. Great times, though.

You must be loving Doonsebury right now.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 30
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Oct. 11 2012, 5:39 pm)
You must be loving Doonsebury right now.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
54 replies since Oct. 09 2012, 7:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacker friendly cities
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions