2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: RIP Alex Karras< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
big_load Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All the obituaries and the comments highlight his role in Blazing Saddles (and some mention The Paper Lion).  The passing of time has erased most public memory of his exploits as one of the most feared defenders in the NFL.  He was the Lawrence Taylor of his day, in a time before sacks were attributed to particular players.  As a kid in Detroit, I was lucky to see him play, mostly on teams he where was the only player worth watching.

Also, it's interesting that remembrance of his acting career in the sports media seems almost universal in neglecting his role in Victor/Victoria.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 10 2012, 7:01 pm)
All the obituaries and the comments highlight his role in Blazing Saddles (and some mention The Paper Lion).  The passing of time has erased most public memory of his exploits as one of the most feared defenders in the NFL.  He was the Lawrence Taylor of his day, in a time before sacks were attributed to particular players.  As a kid in Detroit, I was lucky to see him play, mostly on teams he where was the only player worth watching.

Also, it's interesting that remembrance of his acting career in the sports media seems almost universal in neglecting his role in Victor/Victoria.

Yeah very sad.  Yet another victim of the NFL.  Head to Head contact.  One of the best.  RIP

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mongo sad

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only Karras could have made a Mongo.  As big_load put so well, he was a memorable guy on a lot of levels.  Well-lived, well-played.

RIP.

Drake
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RIP Alex

Post Number: 6
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Mongo just pawn in game of life."
 Post Number: 7
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 10 2012, 9:11 pm)
 Yet another victim of the NFL.  Head to Head contact.  One of the best.  RIP

At 77 I'm not sure I can blame all of his issues on playing football.

RIP AK

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 9
damnedjose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 10 2012, 7:01 pm)

re: victor/victoria -- pul-leaze don't tell me both he and robert preston appeared in drag............................... one of the reasons i've totally avoided that movie..........

mongo is no longer a pawn in the game of life. he's in a happier place.
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(damnedjose @ Oct. 11 2012, 2:10 pm)
re: victor/victoria -- pul-leaze don't tell me both he and robert preston appeared in drag............................... one of the reasons i've totally avoided that movie..........

Alex Karras is almost exclusively formally dressed.  That's really necessary for his role, especially in relation to James Garner.

It's definitely a movie worth seeing.
 Post Number: 11
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the years, I got to meet him, Dick Butkus and Rosie Greer. Three of the nicest people I've ever met. Watching any of them play, it was hard to believe these were the same people.
 Post Number: 12
rro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use to spend time sitting with another NFL great who had dementia, Jim Ringo, #51 of the GREEN Bay Packers, considered by many to be the best that ever played center.

He played 11 years at Green Bay, 4 years with the Philadelphia Eagles, 126 consecutive games!!!!!! (remember, he was the center), 10 years selected to the Pro Bowl, selected to the Hall Of Fame. Afterwards he coached at Buffalo with O.J. and the Electric Company.

Even though he was at times confused, his hand/ eye co-ordination was much faster than mine. He talked about playing against A. Karras, D. Buktus and many others. He told me lots of stories about playing with, like Ray Nitschke, Paul Hornung, J. Kramer and all the other Packer greats as well as coach Lombardi. And he had lots of pictures, films, etc.

In addition to the head injuries, he had a busted leg and shoulder. He never complained about his injuries. He truly loved the game.

I can remember watching Monday Night Football with him and John Madden and Al Michaels started talking about all the many greats of the game and the first name Madden mentioned was Jim Ringo.

Jim just sat there on the couch listening to them, then turned towards me and smiled, didn't say a word.
11 replies since Oct. 10 2012, 7:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply RIP Alex Karras
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions