2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tell me about Yosemite in March< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Woody78 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 5:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So my wife has a conference in Yosemite this coming March, which presents an excellent opportunity to piggyback on the trip and have a mini getaway.

I have never been to Yosemite, so my knowledge of the area is pretty minimal.

Here's the main issue. We have a son who will be 1 yr and 9 months at the time. He's a high energy little bugger that always wants to be running around outside. Obviously he's too young to truly hike, but I've got a backpack for him and he's content to be in there for about four miles roundtrip (maybe he'll be content for longer distances six months from now).

But my main concern is that the park might be so snowbound in March that there won't be enough for us to do and he and I will have cabin fever. I could attempt to snowshoe with him, but I'm thinking that snowshoes w/ 30 lbs wriggling on my back might be a recipe for trouble. He probably would get a rush out of sledding. The pint sized thrillseeker's favorite activity is basejumping from the summits of our most prominent furniture pieces.

Can anyone who is familiar with Yosemite tell me a little about what it's like in a typical March?

Thanks all.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the valley is cold and could be snow bound, or you could be fortunate enough to get to watch the slush flow in the river.

Where is the conference?  Is it in the valley, or maybe at one of the other hotels near an entrance, like Wawona?

I think there would be plenty for you to do, even if there was snow on the ground.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yosemite in March is great! On the valley floor, there will be enough trails that are well used to where you shouldn't have to carry your son. Get him some great, warm, correctly sized kids boots with good traction and send him off (supervised, of course!). If you want to do some good sledding, head up to Badger Pass. They have killer Snow Tubing!

Take the snowshoes - you might find carrying him just a little ways on the valley floor would be fun if you want to get back into the areas that would need snowshoes. There are also open tram tours during the day and at night, but really bundle up on those if you go, because it can get cold.

Yosemite in winter is one of the best times to go!

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 4
Woody78 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info.

@Zeke: Looks like it's being held at a place called "Yosemite Lodge at the Falls"

Are you familiar with it?
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's the main, more hotel/motel-like lodging in the valley, within a short walk of Lower Yosemite falls, hence the name (newish).
http://www.yosemitepark.com/lodging.aspx

Snow on the valley floor in march is a bit of a dice throw: most times there won't be much, but some years they hold the Nordic Holiday races on the floor because of the snow depth rather than outside the Valley. There's webcams to see what's what.:

http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/half-dome

Snowshoeing would be more were you to hit one of the Giant Sequoia groves such as the Mariposa. There's reliable sledding at Crane Flat a modest drive out of the valley. IIRC they run a shuttle to Badger Pass (there small ski snowpay area in the park along the Glacier Point Road) so even without a car you wouldn't be totally restricted to the valley.

Yep:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/badger-shuttle-schedule.aspx
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the valley is by chance snowbound, you could always head down to the foothill areas just outside the park and go hiking.  You may catch some early spring blooms :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

March is a little early for the poppies at Hite Cove--and as others have noted, it all depends on the weather.  You could get a foot of snow in the Valley, or it could be clear and sunny, with the snow only on the upper levels of the cliffs above.  

(Bear in mind that we saw flowers blooming in January this year above 5000 feet near Ribbon Falls...so I don't take any weather for granted!)

If it is snowy, then you have great adventures on the Valley floor---make sure you take some of the trails out into the meadows to get the best views (and get away from people)

If it isn't snowy, you should probably be able to go at least part way up Yosemite Falls trail, Snow Creek Falls gives you great views of Half Dome, and you might even consider going over to Hetch-hetchy for a hike to Wapama Falls...

All of these and more are on our website, if you are interested.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 8
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Sierra Nevada some years has been very stormy during March while rather droughty in others.  During most it is moderately stormy.   But because the valley floor elevation is only 4k feet, precipitation from most storms reaches the valley floor wet thus not frozen so the ground is most likely to be free of snow except in shady areas.  In any case do not expect to backpack because the majority of the park outside the valley is either inaccessible due to closed for winter highways or under a blanket of white.  

March 4, 2006 Yosemite Valley 4k, Merced River

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_06-e3-1.html

March 21, 2009 along Merced River in canyon a few miles below Yosemite at elevations above 2k feet:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/09-C1-4.jpg

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 9
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

March is the best time with kids!!!!! Any idea how many tracks and burrows you can find in the snow???? Go to the apple orchards over by Curry Village if there is snow on the ground! I'm a skier but when my granddaughter was 18 mos I sent my daughter up to ski with the family and stayed in the valley to play with Sierra....we had hours of fun!!!!!!!!  Don't forget the saucer! There is a tiny little hill by mirror lake that is perfect for putting them on your lap.  Hopefully there will be snow, it's about a 50/50 chance there will be snow in March....

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 10
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 3:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woody78 @ Oct. 12 2012, 3:10 pm)
Thanks for the info.

@Zeke: Looks like it's being held at a place called "Yosemite Lodge at the Falls"

Are you familiar with it?

The restaurant there, The Mountain Room, is really good. If you eat before dark, you can get a view of Yosemite Falls.

I would suggest reservations - there aren't a ton of places for dinner open in Yosemite during the winter, and once everything is closed, that's pretty much it for food. I would pack snacks (and put them in your room) or get snacks from the grocery store in the Village and keep them in your room.

I swear I get hungry after everything is closed just because I know everything is closed! If you don't mind a bit of a $$ splurge, the Ahwahnee Hotel's Sunday brunch is amazing. I feel like the price had maybe gone up to $43/person, but I felt like it was worth it. Kids are only $12, and they have a blast picking out their own food. Really fun, but you do need reservations. Their number is (209) 372-1489 (yes, I have it stored in my cell phone, yes, I have called them walking in from the backcountry for reservations. I keep a dress in my car and money for Curry village showers. I'm a weirdo).

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 11
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Oct. 12 2012, 9:55 pm)
In any case do not expect to backpack because the majority of the park outside the valley is either inaccessible due to closed for winter highways or under a blanket of white.  

That statement sounds like backpacking is impossible in the winter.  :D  Though I'm pretty sure that's not what Dave meant.  :;):

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Oct. 15 2012, 9:31 am)

(Dave Senesac @ Oct. 12 2012, 9:55 pm)
In any case do not expect to backpack because the majority of the park outside the valley is either inaccessible due to closed for winter highways or under a blanket of white.  

That statement sounds like backpacking is impossible in the winter.  :D  Though I'm pretty sure that's not what Dave meant.  :;):

Oh with the OP traveling with a 19 month old infant I expect Dave meant exactly that.
11 replies since Oct. 12 2012, 5:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tell me about Yosemite in March
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions