2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Have you or a friend been injured while hiking?, Trail injuries< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 7:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fortunately I have never been injured while out backpacking or hiking. I have also never been with anyone who injured themselves in any serious way.

But just last evening I was reading a trail review at Trails.com about one of the AT sections in NC, and the reviewer said that his buddy fractured his foot while they were on that trail. It must not have been too severe a fracture, because they hiked out another 10 miles according to the reviewer, but his buddy was having a time of it, and was moaning.

My fear would be to have a major fracture or sprain and be 40 miles from civilization and not be able to put an ounce of weight on my leg or foot, so that I would have to lean on someone else to hike out. I wouldnt want to burden anyone like that. I have broken several bones over the years, but I was never far from help.

Have you ever been on a hike where someone was injured? How did you deal with it?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My father was injured on the trail when he was killed by a bear. He was injured up one side and down the other. That bear injured the hell out of him.
I miss you dad.  :-(

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 3
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Recently when I was backpacking I was approached by a guy on a horse who asked me and  my friend to dial 911 but neither of us could get a signal. He was riding with a friend and his friend's horse reared up and fell over on him breaking his back. We had just arrived at a place where there was a gravel road that came went to a paved road about four miles away and some Boy Scouts were camped there. Their leader hopped in his truck and flew down the mountain and got a call out. A few minutes later a helicopter arrived and landed in front of us and they medevaced him out.
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My camping buddies have suffered from unexpected cold and excessive heat.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Oct. 16 2012, 7:56 pm)
My father was injured on the trail when he was killed by a bear. He was injured up one side and down the other. That bear injured the hell out of him.

Sorry to hear that. That goes beyond injury obviously. Where did that happen and do you know the hows and whys?
 Post Number: 6
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had numerous muscle pulls ect, cuts and bruises while hiking the AT. I had a friend who twisted her knee (she had surgery) while on the AT. We had to help her out to the nearest road. Lucky there were hikers finishing a hike who took her to the hospital.  A friend got bit by a copperhead. Lucky for him, he was near the trailhead.  
Another friend (who was a nurse BTW) got an intestinal virus, we had to call an ambulance for him.
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 16 2012, 5:50 pm)
. . . Have you ever been on a hike where someone was injured?. . .

No, I've been quite fortunate in that regard.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My hubby tore his meniscus one trip....we didn't really do what we should have done....:)
http://ndeewoods.blogspot.com/search/label/Hopkins%20Pass
Dee

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 9
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 16 2012, 8:15 pm)

Sorry to hear that. That goes beyond injury obviously. Where did that happen and do you know the hows and whys?

Me and dad were on a father son hike we do every year. Each January we threw a dart at the world calendar that is on the stable wall in the stall we kept my first horse, Bethany. Bethany is dead too. Killed by a rattlesnake.
This particular January dad threw the dart and hit the dart dead on central china. So off we went. Not knowing that it would be our last backpacking trip.
If I were allowed to bring a firearm I feel certain he would still be here today.   :(

--------------
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I strained knee ligaments in the Grand Canyon many times.  The worst case took me 8 weeks to recover.  

I think it happened because I traveled downhill too quickly, and tried to absorb the impact with only my knees.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Oct. 16 2012, 8:39 pm)

Me and dad were on a father son hike we do every year. Each January we threw a dart at the world calendar that is on the stable wall in the stall we kept my first horse, Bethany. Bethany is dead too. Killed by a rattlesnake.
This particular January dad threw the dart and hit the dart dead on central china. So off we went. Not knowing that it would be our last backpacking trip.
If I were allowed to bring a firearm I feel certain he would still be here today.   :(

very sad, very sad indeed. remind's me of the time my brother was killed by a llama, very sad.
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once.  After walking out about 3 miles on a broken foot, which hurt, it took another two days to get to the nearest village by packraft.  Turned out okay though.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Oct. 16 2012, 8:56 pm)

(eyebp @ Oct. 16 2012, 8:39 pm)

very sad, very sad indeed. remind's me of the time my brother was killed by a llama, very sad.

I never responded but I remember reading your story about you losing your brother. It was just too painful and familiar at the time for me to respond but I was following the thread.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Oct. 16 2012, 5:56 pm)

You are soooo full of it.   :p

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 15
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched my brother drop his pop tart in the mud and spill his coffee trying to catch it.  Almost killed him.  Had to carry him out.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 16
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Oct. 16 2012, 9:05 pm)

:-O

--------------
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is SO cold.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fractured a metatarsal once.  I'm so accustomed to being in pain that it was two weeks before I accepted something was wrong.

BTW, 3" heels hurt with a fractured metatarsal.  Don't dance in them.

My podiatrist was so pissed he turned purple.
 Post Number: 19
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I have never been hurt some @#&* stole my dog and took him to China where he was killed by a bear.
 Post Number: 20
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Partially dislocated a knee several times (torn ACL, mensicus...it wobbled for a long while). Scraped off the "toe cap" on my little toe - nail and all. Trashed a heel so badly I could see the fascia. Different trips. I don't learn quickly.
 Post Number: 21
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was on a weekender with three friends back in '89 and one injured his ankle on a glissade.  We were maybe 3-4 miles in.  He assumed it was a sprained ankle, taped it, and we divvied his gear between the other three of us and all hiked out.  He used an ice axe as a "crutch".  There was very little any of us could do besides carry his gear (that is definitely the heaviest pack I ever carried, and it wasn't a good fit, as I had to carry his pack--mine was too small to take any extra gear).

When his girlfriend finally got him to the ER, xrays showed he'd broken his fibula.  Thanks in part to the abuse it took on the hike out, it took about 2 years to come fully back to normal.  He didn't regret not calling for help, though.  His feeling was that if he could do it, then getting out under his own power was the right choice.

Been with another friend several times when she had trouble with altitude sickness, definitely beyond the "my head aches" level.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 22
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 16 2012, 9:26 pm)

That is SO cold.

And to think, I screamed "Yes!" when she proposed.
Good thing she is hot.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Oct. 16 2012, 9:41 pm)
While I have never been hurt some @#&* stole my dog and took him to China where he was killed by a bear.

China bears suck. Whenever I see them on the road I swerve to hit them.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Oct. 16 2012, 9:48 pm)

I know what you mean. The white and black fur with the "cute" face hide an evil side that needs to be exterminated.
 Post Number: 25
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Oct. 16 2012, 9:53 pm)

I know what you mean. The white and black fur with the "cute" face hide an evil side that needs to be exterminated.

very sad, very sad for all. :(
 Post Number: 26
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Oct. 16 2012, 9:55 pm)

(pastywhite @ Oct. 16 2012, 9:53 pm)

very sad, very sad for all. :(

Bitches!

--------------
 Post Number: 27
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ndwoods @ Oct. 16 2012, 8:27 pm)
My hubby tore his meniscus one trip....

Me too.  That one took a while to get fixed.

Less impactful (but more spectacular) was spearing an agave into my shin (they don't call them shin daggers for nothing).  It hurt a little, but I kept going for a minute.   I looked down to see that bottom half of my pant leg was the wrong color.  I rolled it up to find the blood pumping out in big spurts.  Thirty seconds of hand pressure stopped it for good.  I had already checked to see if the offending plant tip was still intact (rather than broken off in the bone).
 Post Number: 28
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've slice open my eyeball twice, boiled my leg to the point of a saucer-sized blister on my leg, sliced my legs open on more occasions than I can count, tore my toenails off almost every other year to the point where I'm considering having them permanently removed. Everytime I wound myself, something gets added to my FAK. I carry a few "heavy-duty" meds so that no matter what, if it's pain I'm dealing with, it can be overcome until I can get to civilization.

I haven't broken a bone yet.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 29
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I woke up in camp one morning to find that one of my llamas had died during the night.  No shat.  Didn't hear a peep, about 15-20 feet from my tent.  Brain aneurysm was the best guess.  Broke my heart and injured my shoulder carrying the gear out.  Luckily it was only 6 miles.  But, I'm over it.
My best friend died of cancer after our last hike together, up to Caribou Lake.  Don't think I'll ever want to completely heal from that one.
 Post Number: 30
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup – Hurts too when things go bad  :(  :)

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
65 replies since Oct. 16 2012, 7:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Have you or a friend been injured while hiking?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions