2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 4<<1234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Do something today to make this world a better, place and brag about it here.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
Autoeng Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:16 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sit as VP on the board of directors of a non-profit organization that provides community support for those seeking recovery from substance abuse.

I belong to The ManKind Project. This weekend I staffed a New Warrior Training Adventure for 16 men being initiated into manhood.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Oct. 22 2012, 8:50 pm)

(eyebp @ Oct. 22 2012, 6:33 pm)

(toejam @ Oct. 22 2012, 10:20 am)
I hear ya, Deb. I'm trying to keep my mouth shut to make the world a better place.

Right now Deborah isn't going off on you for calling her Deb. I think that counts.

I was thinking the same.  :D

wink, wink

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 33
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All those that made me laugh while reading this as I sip my morning tea did a really good thing!
Later I will go work 7 hrs at 911 and be nice to everyone no matter how mean or mentally unstable....not just cuz it's my job, but cuz I empathize with them.
Looks like a bunch of us do volunteer stuff. I also do Mounted Horse Patrol and Tarol by and far the biggest thing I do is help lost hikers and bikers! I also do Equine Evac where we rescue large animals from fires floods etc. I also am part of a group called ALIVE where we do neighborhood grass roots type presentations, festivals etc
http://westcoastalive.org/
I homeschool my 16 yr granddaughter and have turned around her life and her family's life.  I help troubled horses and the people who love them that are in trouble with training help....
No wonder I never have time for anything in my life!:)
Oh....and here's the best thing today I will do....I want to help promote "Duffy Barkley is Not a Dog" by one of our very own resident posters here.  I just bought it and started it last night and it's GREAT!:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 34
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took care of my grandmother until '06, mom until '09, and brother until this year (he's still around, I'm just not funding him anymore).

My high school had a community service requirement, and I logged about 300 hours on that. 100s of hours volunteering for Shriner's Hospitals, Hearing Impaired Kids Endowment Fund...college had community service hours requirements...law school had a community service/pro bono requirement...

...and the most interesting thing, I just helped start my first non profit! We filed the 501©(3) paperwork last month. It is all about comedy improv, and we do a camp Memorial Day weekend and hopefully plan on expanding that into local schools that have had their arts programs cut back to help fill in that gap.

I'm now exempt from further service  :D

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 35
Icenav Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I supported the economy by buying a case of Sam Adam's beer

--------------
You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things -- to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals.  
-Edmund Hillary
 Post Number: 36
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I brought my neighbors trash can up from the curb this week.

And sometimes, when I have the pooper scooper, I pick up extra dog poop.

And, oh yeah, I rescued a dog last week!  She's certainly made my world a better place :)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 37
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bathed.  Again.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 38
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ate an entire pizza by myself tonight, but it was meatless!
 Post Number: 39
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Helped one of our scouts finish his Eagle project today. See how well I can move tomorrow. I have signed up to help the local homeless association's fundraiser. I am sure there are more. Those are ones that are in my head right now.
 Post Number: 40
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Oct. 21 2012, 8:31 pm)
Do something today to make this world a better, place and brag about it here.

Doing something to make the world a better place and bragging about it are mutually exclusive.

That's giving 101 in my view...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 41
lonesomegeorge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fed the cows,horses,dogs,cats,and some other little critters that looked hungry...then boiled 4 hotdogs.....didn't have the bonfire good enough for hot dog on a stick...and realized I still didn't give a flyin' @$&* at a rollin' donut...LG..

--------------
"all you gotta do is open your arms,your heart,and breathe in...the happy,happy,happy will flow into you like the sunshine flows into trees!!!"...brownmouse....as I keep on a smilin'...

www.lonesomegeorge.smugmug.com
 Post Number: 42
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My good deed for the day is I'm gonna stay home and leave the world the ***k alone and I expect it to do the same for me.
 Post Number: 43
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Oct. 28 2012, 9:49 am)
My good deed for the day is I'm gonna stay home and leave the world the ***k alone and I expect it to do the same for me.

Sounds like an excellent plan.  

Some of us require that alone time and things can get rather unpleasant if we don't get it.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 44
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Oct. 28 2012, 9:49 am)

Me, too. Great idea  :D

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 45
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great minds think alike...
 Post Number: 46
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 28 2012, 12:16 am)

Doing something to make the world a better place and bragging about it are mutually exclusive.

You're such a downer man, but one thing I do remember from my Catholic days is that true charity must be anonymous.

Nonetheless I'm going to brag: I will not hatch any rotten eggs in mixed company today.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 47
JeepinLife10 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Built a house for Habitat for Humanity!
 Post Number: 48
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Oct. 28 2012, 12:12 pm)

You're such a downer man, but one thing I do remember from my Catholic days is that true charity must be anonymous.

Nonetheless I'm going to brag: I will not hatch any rotten eggs in mixed company today.

Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing... it's kind of specific.

Just sayin... If you have to talk about what you do it makes me wonder who it's really for... but that's psych 101 I would have thought.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 49
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Things that I have done over the past several years:

- 6 trail-building outings on the Ozark Trail
- Raised over $2,000 for National MS Society riding in 3 MS 150 cycling rides
- Founded and preside over a non-profit that has raised over $10K and constructed a children's green space on our block
- Picked up countless metal cans, bottles, and trash off our street (if you hate trash, living in the city can be torture)
- Donate clothes from our clothing business to a women's shelter

But now it's mostly about raising a son and giving him a safe, loving, and positive environment.

And yeah, I do for this me because it makes me feel good. In truth, all of our acts are due to self-interest.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 50
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Oct. 28 2012, 2:12 pm)

*shrugs* Maybe, but my intention was for people to be inspired. If it works, great. If it doesn't... oh  well.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 51
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I meant to quote Brads post...Sorry DC

--------------
 Post Number: 52
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just now I decided to be a better person. I'm going to be more positive. I'm going to love the people I care about even more. I'm going to give from my heart and I'm going to forgive and forget. I'm going to appreciate what I have and accept what I don't have as something I can get by without.
Life is good.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 53
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 27 2012, 11:16 pm)

Agreed.  Keep it to yourself.  Actions inspire others ... we don't need to talk about how much we give or how much we do.

ETA: RanD - I don't know if I can tolerate you being more happy and positive!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 54
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Nov. 04 2012, 9:26 pm)

(BradMT @ Oct. 27 2012, 11:16 pm)

Agreed.  Keep it to yourself.  Actions inspire others ... we don't need to talk about how much we give or how much we do.

ETA: RanD - I don't know if I can tolerate you being more happy and positive!

Deal with it my tiny friend. Although I must admit that you are the most attractive and interesting and opinionated Cajun person I have met, your view on this matter means little to me. Little. hahahahahahaha. View...hahahahh.
I will be positive in spite of you efforts to squash my love and positivity-ness.
Happy Happy Joy Joy

--------------
 Post Number: 55
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ETA: Love. Peace. Joy. Happiness.

--------------
 Post Number: 56
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I assumed the "brag about it here" was more a reference to "Sharing it". If people don't share what others can do, it's hard to get help or influence them to do it. If I hadn't asked for advice on designing Brayden's room, I wouldn't have gotten so much overwhelming help in putting it together. I look at what others do and it gives me ideas as to what else I may be able to do in the future. I am constantly working on volunteer projects, sometimes multiple ones per day. I am often called to knock on doors to ask for things directly like funds. Other times, I am just doing free computer work. Some projects need to be broadcast to be heard and get others to jump on board. It's part of the game that must be played...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 57
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 04 2012, 11:07 pm)
I assumed the "brag about it here" was more a reference to "Sharing it". If people don't share what others can do, it's hard to get help or influence them to do it. If I hadn't asked for advice on designing Brayden's room, I wouldn't have gotten so much overwhelming help in putting it together. I look at what others do and it gives me ideas as to what else I may be able to do in the future. I am constantly working on volunteer projects, sometimes multiple ones per day. I am often called to knock on doors to ask for things directly like funds. Other times, I am just doing free computer work. Some projects need to be broadcast to be heard and get others to jump on board. It's part of the game that must be played...

If this thread is right or wrong doesn't affect what you have done for Braydon and his family. That is a whole other level of bad ass and needed to be talked about to get it done. I can't imagine even grumpy ol Cajun would say that was wrong.   :p

--------------
 Post Number: 58
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 04 2012, 8:40 pm)
[quote=CajunHiker,Nov. 04 2012, 9:26 pm

ETA: RanD - I don't know if I can tolerate you being more happy and positive![/quote]

I will be positive in spite of you efforts to squash my love and positivity-ness.
Happy Happy Joy Joy

Dude, I'm saying you are one of the most positive and happy people I know.  How am I *little Cajun* squashing you??  Impossible!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 59
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 04 2012, 8:25 pm)
Just now I decided to be a better person. I'm going to be more positive. I'm going to love the people I care about even more. I'm going to give from my heart and I'm going to forgive and forget. I'm going to appreciate what I have and accept what I don't have as something I can get by without.
Life is good.  :)

Don't let him fool ya, folks.  camped with him too many times.

:D

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 60
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, let me think about it, well I am not sure, no not today, maybe tomorrow. :D

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
94 replies since Oct. 21 2012, 10:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 4<<1234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Do something today to make this world a better
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions