2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Well, at least we know what is wrong with me..., (health-wise, anyway!)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 5:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I've been sick since...oh, the middle of June with stomach issues. Thought it was just stress, whatever - but explained my symptoms to my general doc and he basically said "yeah, that's not your normal IBS, get thee to a GI!"

So I did, and he immediately ordered a colonoscopy. The prep is as bad as you think it is, but my GI does it with "conscious sedation" ie - Propofol - and that is a GREAT drug. Anesthesiologist cracks a joke, you're out, and you wake up after it is all over.

Anyway they found it to be ulcerative colitis. Which, of course, I got on Dr. Google and found it can really, really mess a person up. I'm on the safest/least side-effect prone med they have for it so far (Asacol) and if that works I'll be ok. If that doesn't work...it gets progressively scary.

I wasn't going to post it on here but then I decided, "actually, that's probably the only group that understand s my "Ah! What about backpacking!" reaction."

That's what freaks me out about this the most. Not being able to get into the backcountry or more than 5 minutes from a bathroom.

I have the follow up with my GI Friday to see what the biopsy said. Fingers crossed they didn't find and "abnormal" cells or worse in there. No history of colon cancer in my family, but my mom died of pancreatic cancer and we've had other cancers around. It's a little nerve-wracking!

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll keep you in my prayers YG.  Here's hoping that everything turns out to be as uninteresting as possible.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

I have a mild and occasional pain sort of above where my appendix should be.  No tests have determined what it is.  So my doc told me the same thing - see a GI.
 Post Number: 4
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, girl. Keep us updated. Get that worked out.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 5
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So sorry, but hopefully the Asacol will start working soon. Dietary changes might provide you some temporary relief and help you get out backpacking. Stay close to the trees and away from wide open places if possible, but you would not be the first to hike with a golf umbrella. Protects you and the pack from rain, substitutes as a walking stick, and can be used as an instant privy when necessary. :p
 Post Number: 6
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dukefan's portable privy idea is pretty sound, I think.

Good luck finding good treatment.

My uncle has/had UC and when it's not going well, it's not pretty.  I don't recall him having problems with it recently, so I assume once you find the right treatment, it's manageable?

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 7
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

YG, I hope the docs find a treatment that allows you to continue hiking and horseback riding. There's a lot of different drugs out there. If one doesn't work, try a different one. I hope all goes well!

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear this, but as others have noted, hope you can find a med that helps.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, it is manageable if/when you find the right treatment. The first line is a class of drugs called mesalamines, and I'm on that now. When the UC is bad they call it a "flare" and when it isn't you're "in remission." All this new terminology!

The next line after what I'm taking is potentially short term steroids, like prednisone. I so don't want that!

After that would be Sulfasalazines - which are the same idea but have worse side effects.

Way down the road, if those don't work, they escalate to Immunosuppressants like Imuran and the like. Nasty, nasty stuff. The final line is an infusion of immunosuppresants that are even scarier.

If diet and all of those drugs don't do it (I'm going to a paleo/gluten free diet for now), then technically they can remove your colon. The bright spot in UC versus Crohn's is that, if they do that, you're disease free forever. They can even create you a new "colon" with the end of the small intestine that's left. That is totally a last ditch option, but I'm "worst case scenario girl" so of course my brain went right to that.

I'm also exploring the world of supplements, and probiotics, and everything else I can think of because I want to get it under control to prevent any scarring/damage.

In the meantime, I better pull out that golf umbrella :)

--------------

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yosemite girl @ Oct. 24 2012, 5:59 pm)
So I've been sick since...oh, the middle of June with stomach issues. Thought it was just stress, whatever - but explained my symptoms to my general doc and he basically said "yeah, that's not your normal IBS, get thee to a GI!"

So I did, and he immediately ordered a colonoscopy. The prep is as bad as you think it is, but my GI does it with "conscious sedation" ie - Propofol - and that is a GREAT drug. Anesthesiologist cracks a joke, you're out, and you wake up after it is all over.

Anyway they found it to be ulcerative colitis. Which, of course, I got on Dr. Google and found it can really, really mess a person up. I'm on the safest/least side-effect prone med they have for it so far (Asacol) and if that works I'll be ok. If that doesn't work...it gets progressively scary.

I wasn't going to post it on here but then I decided, "actually, that's probably the only group that understand s my "Ah! What about backpacking!" reaction."

That's what freaks me out about this the most. Not being able to get into the backcountry or more than 5 minutes from a bathroom.

I have the follow up with my GI Friday to see what the biopsy said. Fingers crossed they didn't find and "abnormal" cells or worse in there. No history of colon cancer in my family, but my mom died of pancreatic cancer and we've had other cancers around. It's a little nerve-wracking!

Glad you're on the road to recovery.  That's where you are now.

Not to make light of your situation but, where in the backcountry are you more than five minutes from a bathroom?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck!  UC folks I know have fared well in treatment.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 24 2012, 4:44 pm)
Not to make light of your situation but, where in the backcountry are you more than five minutes from a bathroom?

:D that's hilarious! I just snort-laughed sitting here in my office  :)

You know, you have a point! I'll just have to pack extra supplies!

--------------

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yosemite girl @ Oct. 24 2012, 7:48 pm)

And keep them more than usually handy.  I had a day when I had to keep my tp and trowel accessible.  Learned to drop trou wearing my pack.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck with your treatment.
 Post Number: 15
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 24 2012, 8:07 pm)

And keep them more than usually handy.  I had a day when I had to keep my tp and trowel accessible.  Learned to drop trou wearing my pack.

:laugh: TDale, you are too funny! I pictured myself falling over immediately. I'd rather drop the pack and open the umbrella. Supplies can even be packed inside.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Oct. 24 2012, 8:14 pm)

(TDale @ Oct. 24 2012, 8:07 pm)

:laugh: TDale, you are too funny! I pictured myself falling over immediately. I'd rather drop the pack and open the umbrella. Supplies can even be packed inside.

Best advice I can give you: toes downhill.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My sister has UC.  They thought she had crohn's for a couple of years, but then she moved which forced a change of doctors and he correctly diagnosed her.  Not sure what she's on, but she gets by really well.

Hope your case is mild.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope everything turns out well.
 Post Number: 19
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 1:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope it goes well.  I agree with those who say that the backcountry is the best place to be if you need a bathroom a lot!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes.

Glad you got a handle on it though. That's always at least a good step in the right direction.

Here's to hoping it clears up soon and you get back out without issues.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 21
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope the docs find the treatment that works for you as quickly as possible.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 22
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Darn, take care of yourself.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 23
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yosemite girl @ Oct. 24 2012, 7:42 pm)
...I'm also exploring the world of supplements, and probiotics, and everything else I can think of because I want to get it under control to prevent any scarring/damage.

In the meantime, I better pull out that golf umbrella :)

Sorry to hear it, but knowing what's wrong is a step in the right direction.

Speaking of supplements, check out chamomile.
 Post Number: 24
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!! What diet stuff are they having you do????

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 25
Snowpeak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take care, and I hope heal well soon.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ndwoods @ Oct. 25 2012, 10:06 am)
Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!! What diet stuff are they having you do????

Thank you everyone for the kind words and suggestions!

As far as diet, officially nothing yet; however, I'm voluntarily going back to restricting processed grains and corn. I've been eating salmon and rice for 2 days and I swear I feel better! We had sushi one night, and I've been eating the Whole Foods salmon & brown rice bowls for lunch.

So that's paleo-ish, I guess. I don't really eat a lot of junk, so it's hard. I did quit soda. I've only been drinking about 1/2 of a Hansen's ginger ale per day, but I read carbonation doesn't help so I've been drinking the POM pomegranate teas.

I have my follow up appointment to get the biopsy results tomorrow morning, and I have a post-it note full of questions!

--------------

Post Number: 27
hikingodS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 12:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you're heading in the right direction with a Paleo type diet.  I'm always baffled that doctor's treat GI problems FIRST with drugs, and diet is a distant second.  Does this make sense?  What is more likely to affect the GI tract than the food that parades through it constantly?  Some people have had some striking results from following a Paleo/Primal diet.

Good luck with your recovery!
 Post Number: 28
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not good, my best to you.  I know you will kick it’s A, I know you are just that feisty

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 29
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 1:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I may be new here, but that doesn't mean I cant wish you the best and say a prayer for you!

+1 to treating with diet over drugs.

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
 Post Number: 30
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch, that sounds miserable.  Did you notice how much weight HoosierDaddy lost between PG 2011 and PG 2012?  I have lost quite a bit too and unknowingly we were both following the same type of diet.  The Paleo/Primal thing that Hikingods mentioned.  I think HD was following some the guidelines closely while mine came from the book "Wheat Belly" and was not labeled Paleo/Primal.  But, they are very much alike and both are kind to the gut!  

Yesterday my boss came around to our desks and offered us home-make oatmeal cookies.   How can one turn that down?  That is the first wheat I have eaten in months and I felt it in my gut later.  

I agree with the others, and you are probably already doing so, but I would certainly try diet changes.   Maybe you can stay away from the drugs completely.

Good luck!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
52 replies since Oct. 24 2012, 5:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Well, at least we know what is wrong with me...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions