2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NYC stormcam!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 11:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not Yosemite Falls but anyway.  

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/nyregion/nyt-webcam.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I don't get about NY is that they completely shut down mass transit on the same day that they declared mandatory evacuation of some low-lying areas.

It's already pretty windy in South Jersey.  We drove up from a friend's house in Holmdel at 7:00 pm and were getting blown around pretty good for the first 40 miles or so.
 Post Number: 3
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Yorkers are notorious hand-wringers and whiners. BUT, if something goes seriously wrong for lack of action the public lynching in the local media will be voracious.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grandparents beach bar was in Roxbury Far Rockaway, one of the Zone A areas ordered evacuated: makes sense, the peninsula goes under with just a few feet of surge and what with the full moon and the wind the bay and ocean will meet for sure. The trouble with waiting too long, and the MTA shutting down at 7 pm was announced this morning, is while bus service over the bridge is ok, the train across Broad Channell runs just above the water.... So getting out early is key anyway and everyone there should know it. Place has been routinely hit before.

Course the challenge with the system as a whole is its below ground and in places like The Battery the entrances will surely flood once Lower Manhattan gets washed over from the surge running in through the mouth of the harbor. I was down there a couple weekends ago and the normal water level at Ft. Clinton is maybe 8 ft from the level of the park, the same level as the subway entrances over by the Custom House.

Speaking of The Battery, hope Zelda the wild turkey is okay. :)
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 29 2012, 12:01 am)
New Yorkers are notorious hand-wringers and whiners. BUT, if something goes seriously wrong for lack of action the public lynching in the local media will be voracious.

That's for sure.

Compliance with the evacuations hasn't been great so far.  An awful lot of people are going to be stuck for a while.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice interior hope it doesn't flood.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 7
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw that DB Bloomberg was not even going to order evacuations yesterday morning.  Fortunately, he changed his mind.  With a storm surge of 6-11 feet expected, it blew my mind that he did not order evacuations.  That would have been an awful blunder, with potentially catastrophic ramifications.  Someone in his team must have given him some bad information initially.  Thankfully they did evacuate.  It the storm plays out as expected, NYC will be dealt a crippling blow, it will not be good.
 Post Number: 8
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the issue is going to be further inland with major flooding.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be living that for the next few days....I doubt it will be as bad as TS Lee from last year, at least I hope not.
 Post Number: 10
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Yes, here in the lower Catskills in NY there is predicted one to three inches of rain (so far) between this pee em and tomorrow pee em. If so, many emergency evacuations will be necessary.

Also winds from 30 to 40, with sustained gusts of 50 to 70.

People in these areas should fill their bathtub(s) with water for availability during power outages (even if on city water). Also fill freezers and freezer compartments with water bottles to freeze to help maintain freezing temps until electric is restored.

Some inland towns will be seriously flooded out, plus those towns on the banks of the Delaware River.

All schools are closed today in this and adjoining counties.
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me preface by first stating: We don't get Hurricanes out in my neck of the woods.

Question: How does 1 to 3 inches of rain with gusts reaching 50 to 70 mph equal evacuation? We get that for days on end occasionally and it's really not that big of a deal around here. I'm assuming the rising tide or something else comes into play...no?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 12
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In typical NJ fashion.

I heard on the radio earlier that the Atlantic County emergency response center is now inaccessible due to all road leading to it are flooded.  

Sounds like a bit of forethought was missing on that one

I'm just outside Philly. So far we have just been getting rain and not much wind yet. About an 1.5 inches of rain on my rain gauge so far since yesterday late afternoon

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 13
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have to say, I find that comment profoundly offensive, I really do.  Having watched this City recover from multiple terrorist attacks, massive storms, financial collapses and countless other things, big and small, on a daily basis for two decades that I have lived here, I can say with some confidence that New Yorkers are the most resilient, tough, and kind-hearted people on the planet.  Whiners?  What an absurd statement.  Brad, I know you didn't intend to offend, but my guess is you've never really spent much time in NYC.  

It always amazes me, when I travel, how quick people are to sling insults at New York City (I mean, to me, when they learn that's where I'm from).  I don't recall hearing New Yorkers make insulting comments like that to others about their cities.  

Anyway, we're pretty close to Long Island Sound where we now live, and we get a fair amount of flooding in these storms.  Everyone around me is prepared, and the neighbors gathered last night to touch base.  Bring it.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 29 2012, 11:00 am)
Let me preface by first stating: We don't get Hurricanes out in my neck of the woods.

Question: How does 1 to 3 inches of rain with gusts reaching 50 to 70 mph equal evacuation? We get that for days on end occasionally and it's really not that big of a deal around here. I'm assuming the rising tide or something else comes into play...no?

Hi...

No. It's lack of drainage around streams, rivers, and flat land. We're inland, no tides, etc.

Also, debris accumulating under bridges, etc.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 29 2012, 11:16 am)

I have to say, I find that comment profoundly offensive, I really do.  Having watched this City recover from multiple terrorist attacks, massive storms, financial collapses and countless other things, big and small, on a daily basis for two decades that I have lived here, I can say with some confidence that New Yorkers are the most resilient, tough, and kind-hearted people on the planet.  Whiners?  What an absurd statement.  Brad, I know you didn't intend to offend, but my guess is you've never really spent much time in NYC.  

It always amazes me, when I travel, how quick people are to sling insults at New York City (I mean, to me, when they learn that's where I'm from).  I don't recall hearing New Yorkers make insulting comments like that to others about their cities.  

Anyway, we're pretty close to Long Island Sound where we now live, and we get a fair amount of flooding in these storms.  Everyone around me is prepared, and the neighbors gathered last night to touch base.  Bring it.

Hi...

+1
 Post Number: 16
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 29 2012, 8:00 am)

I think you are correct; predicted 11 feet of surge at high tide.  Add that to copious amounts of rain and you've got a real problem.
 Post Number: 17
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Appears to be snowing/sleeting in Shenandoah NP:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/photosmultimedia/bm_webcam.htm
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Oct. 29 2012, 11:44 am)

Hi...

No. It's lack of drainage around streams, rivers, and flat land. We're inland, no tides, etc.

And that rainfall prediction is at outer edge of the storm.  NJ will probably get 8-12".   GlenG mentioned TS Lee.  I think it will be similar to that, but more widespread.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 29 2012, 8:00 am)

The NYC evacuation zones are populated locales just above sea level ( the Rockaways and Roxbury are all on a sandbar peninsula sticking off of mainland Long Island, which itself is jut a very large terminal moraine, Coney Island and Breighton Beach are low lying areas just across Jamaica Bay from the Rockaways, I could see the Cyclone from Roxbury). . So it's got nothing to do with the rain but rather the bulge of water pushed up on the northeast side of the wind circulation that creates the "storm surge" that will add to the full moon higher high tide.

All of NYC is either on islands surrounded by water or a coastal area adjacent to water (the Bronx) so there's plenty of low lying land within reach of  surge approaching eleven feet... Flood stage at The Battery in Lower Manhattan is 6.7 ft.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=okx&gage=batn6

The other aspect is the wave heights generated by high winds: constant 70 mph plus puts up big waves on top of that storm surge and tide, the buoy off NY harbor is reporting 18 ft plus*. . Then debris gets mixed in, things like power poles and entire trees act like battering rams, and the damage to structures in residential areas gets immense. Knock down a house with people in it and the people are injured or killed.

* this buoy is off Breezy Point, the tip of the Rockaway peninsula that forms the eastern side of the gateway into New York harbor. Nineteen foot waves heading right in

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44065
 Post Number: 20
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I just saw Donald Trump's hair fly by.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 29 2012, 2:26 pm)
I think I just saw Donald Trump's hair fly by.

Too bad he wasn't attached to it.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We just had our first little power hit.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Oct. 29 2012, 11:44 am)

Hi...

Is that urban flooding, or flash flooding of streams/rivers? In Upstate, it typically requires 5" or more to begin flash flooding of streams, but small intense amounts can lead to urban flooding.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Margate, High Bridge... those I know are down already.

Enjoy your power free time Big_Load.   :)
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It just got worse...

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Crap.  Not him again.  Every stinkin' storm...
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Storm surge ocean flooding:

http://project.wnyc.org/news-maps/hurricane-zones/hurricane-zones.html

Roxbury where I spent summers is just west of the bridge from Brooklyn to the Peninsula, though its mislabeled, it's just "Roxbury", Breezy Point is the tip.  The airfield on the Brooklyn side of the bridge is where Lindbergh started his flight to Paris.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep.  Ocean surge.  Atlantic City:

Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pier and bulkhead  debris is the worst, twelve by twelves like those in the photo getting bounced around into buildings.....
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, they do nearly as much damage as the water alone.
80 replies since Oct. 28 2012, 11:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NYC stormcam!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions