2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Crew of the Bounty rescued in 18' seas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:57 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did these people not see The Perfect Storm?
http://www.witn.com/home....31.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The full force of the storm is  subsiding this morning  on  the OBX of NC. But you have  to salute the courage of the Coasties who have to go out  into the rage of  a stor m to rescue mariners. Makes me wonder why they were out there in the first place.
 Post Number: 3
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a shame to lose such a ship.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My prayers go out to every Coastie in the path of Sandy.  Days like this are where we write new chapters in our history books.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 5
motts Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!  I was on that ship at the Tall Ship Challenge in Savannah GA this May.  It was built for the movie Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando in 1960.  I'm hunkering down for the storm in Maryland.

--------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—  
I took the one less traveled by,  
And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost
 Post Number: 6
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to be harsh, but it sounds like they narrowly averted being finalists in the Darwin awards.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a sad loss, with grim prospects for the two still missing.  I visited that ship a few years ago in Maine.  I wish I could have sailed on it, but not in a hurricane.
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnhens @ Oct. 29 2012, 5:57 am)
Did these people not see The Perfect Storm?
http://www.witn.com/home....31.html

Interesting, you should mention "Perfect Storm" which is actually more a work of fiction than a factual account.

Here's a more accurate version of the story:

http://www.westsail.org/satoristorm
 Post Number: 9
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, cudos to our Coast Guard.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 10
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The question is, why were they out sailing this ship in the ocean when we/they have known about the storm for about a week?

That ship is very valuable, and the 2lives that may have been lost more valuable, so I hope somebody answers for this terrible lapse in judgement!
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Video:
http://m.youtube.com/#....outu.be
 Post Number: 12
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 29 2012, 3:55 pm)
The question is, why were they out sailing this ship in the ocean when we/they have known about the storm for about a week?

That ship is very valuable, and the 2lives that may have been lost more valuable, so I hope somebody answers for this terrible lapse in judgement!

I think I would withhold judgment for now.  The owner of the ship was apparently unable to communicate with the crew.  Those boats move very slowly compared to modern boats (or even, in the case of this one, compared to other large "tall ship" designs).  We don't know where they started.  They were trying to make a safe harbor, and not many on that coast could handle the boat.  

It looks like a couple of people may have died.  The least we can do is refrain from jumping to conclusions, and let the process of inquiry (which will happen) take it's course.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everyone reportedly made it safely to the rafts in their exposure suits but the rafts unfortunately flipped in the seas and high wind ( that second raft going over is remarked on some time into the video).

That aircrew did an amazing job maintaining control in those winds at that altitude ( at times FIFTEEN feet!)

The missing deck crewman has been located, but unresponsive, the captain is still being searched for.
 Post Number: 14
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 29 2012, 1:55 pm)

I wondered the same thing, because of what the news reports said. But after what jmarklane said, maybe they were already out there and tried to get to a safe port.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Apparently they left CONN on 10/25 heading to St Petersburgh, FL. The generator quit and the engine quit taking away their ability to remove water and to make headway. The vessel was better off on the seas than in port. They considered Sandy and its implications.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this.
 Post Number: 16
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The lady who died was from about 20 miles from my home in Vian, Oklahoma.  Her Mom said she loved being part of the crew.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Commentary on the decision to put out to sea from a fellow tall ship captain:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco....captain
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More insight into what may have happened.
http://www.latimes.com/news....9.story
 Post Number: 19
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was on the Bounty at the 1964 World Fair in New York. It was a true bummer to learn of the loss.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Nov. 03 2012, 5:46 pm)
I was on the Bounty at the 1964 World Fair in New York. It was a true bummer to learn of the loss.

Ha! Was there in 64' as well.. what a loss of a great ship. RIP for the two crew.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 03 2012, 8:03 pm)

(overthehillwalker @ Nov. 03 2012, 5:46 pm)

Ha! Was there in 64' as well.. what a loss of a great ship. RIP for the two crew.

I visited it a couple years ago in Maine.  Tall ships are so enthralling.  The ship and crew are sad losses.
 Post Number: 22
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 1:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was on it this summer.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 04 2012, 4:07 pm)
I visited it a couple years ago in Maine.  Tall ships are so enthralling.  The ship and crew are sad losses.

BL, where in Maine was she?

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boothbay Harbor.  There must have been some kind of event in progress, because there  were a few tall ships and many classic wooden boats.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.

Haven't been to Boothbay form many decades.

Hard to beat the Maine Coast...

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 05 2012, 5:01 am)
Boothbay Harbor.  There must have been some kind of event in progress, because there  were a few tall ships and many classic wooden boats.

The WoodenBoat Show was at Mystic this year, as it's going to be next year, so maybe some were traveling around before or after. I attended one in Rockport a ways back. Nice town.

I think they may have standardized on Mystic at some point. It used to bounce around, Chesapeake etc.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was probably in the summer of 2008.
 Post Number: 28
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a sad story.

As a merchant mariner who operates a passenger vessel (ferry), I have been following this story with a good deal of interest.  I will offer this - in my mind the prudent mariner finds someplace to hide out and not needlessly endanger the life and safety of the crew and the vessel.  

It is supremely arrogant to gamble in such a fashion with human life.  Equipment is fallible, and always seems to have a way of failing at exactly the wrong time.  Over the years I have heard a number of sea stories where ego, and an attitude of being smarter than mother nature have put people's lives and vessels needlessly at risk, it's just not worth it.

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
 Post Number: 29
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tRoLLin_mOtOr @ Nov. 05 2012, 10:49 am)
I will offer this - in my mind the prudent mariner finds someplace to hide out and not needlessly endanger the life and safety of the crew and the vessel.

I agree.

Part of the problem with thinking through situations like this is that the individual/s making the decisions often think what they are doing is prudent, no matter what they decide.  This captain obviously felt they could manage the situation, despite the reported problems they had been experiencing in the past.  They had been able to manage in the past and in his way of thinking, they would manage this.  

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those who sailed on her: were they manned for handling the sails in heavy weather at 18 crew or was that light and left them vulnerable to a propulsion failure?
33 replies since Oct. 29 2012, 7:57 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Crew of the Bounty rescued in 18' seas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions