2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2.0 Receiver< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 3:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, it's almost impossible to find a quality made simple 2.0 stereo receiver anymore. I really don't need 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 or the 9.1 channels.

Really, just a simple stereo for two (2) speakers, please.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

High End Audio stores carry them...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just amps? Or receivers, too?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's all about going retro.  Late 70's - early 80's Sansui's etc...  So much cleaner.  Thats what I did.  Off CL  35  bucks.
65 watts of clean power.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a nice Sony except it had a problem with the volume.  I will eventually get another to keep in the garage.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 6
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought this one a few months ago from Amazon.

Very old school. Under $100. Been very happy with it so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwoo....rx-4105
 Post Number: 7
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read an article the other day which talked about stereo sound being on the way out, and that single channel is becoming en vogue.

No clue where that article is, but I could look for it if someone needed me to.

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
 Post Number: 8
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Oct. 30 2012, 4:32 pm)
I read an article the other day which talked about stereo sound being on the way out, and that single channel is becoming en vogue.

probably from the same hipsters that have brought vinyl back from the dead.

I gotta say, pumping music through my surround system on one of the concert settings (essentially turns the system into a multi-speaker stereo system) sounds much better than the old stereo system...even though I'm using some of the same speakers.

simplicity has its place, but I draw the line at standard 2 speaker stereo.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 30 2012, 3:59 pm)
Man, it's almost impossible to find a quality made simple 2.0 stereo receiver anymore. I really don't need 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 or the 9.1 channels.

Really, just a simple stereo for two (2) speakers, please.

Pawn shops.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Found one that's quality. Haven't looked up the price yet but I bet it's close to 6 or 7 hundred.

NAD is the brand. Our only high end shop in town sells it.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 30 2012, 6:44 pm)
Found one that's quality. Haven't looked up the price yet but I bet it's close to 6 or 7 hundred.

Nad?  Really?  Dude, very high end!  You didn't mention, you had and endless budget.  VERY nice stuff.    Can't go wrong with Nad, Rane, etc..  Now you're talking.  What TT do you sport?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 12
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 30 2012, 3:48 pm)

Nad?  Really?  Dude, very high end!  You didn't mention, you had and endless budget.  VERY nice stuff.    Can't go wrong with Nad, Rane, etc..  Now you're talking.  What TT do you sport?

Actually, it's a mid-priced Stanton. DD with a digital out. But, I have an old receiver that's dedicated to the TT and use a Zoom H2 to digitize my LPs.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 13
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 30 2012, 3:55 pm)

Actually, it's a mid-priced Stanton. DD with a digital out. But, I have an old receiver that's dedicated to the TT and use a Zoom H2 to digitize my LPs.

...it's English, but a whole different language, hahah. I didnt understand one bit of that.  ???

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 30 2012, 6:55 pm)

I threw out  400 plus lp's back when I got sucked into the digital craze. Put them out to the curb.  Who knew?  Anybody that knows Hi fi, knows analog rules.  Still have my Infinity 3000's.  50 watts thru them with my Integrated amp, and the coppers show up.  I also tossed my Dad's Thorens and HH Scott that he gave me.  UGH :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 15
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Oct. 30 2012, 2:32 pm)

ImmortalBen. did you mean "mono" when you said single channel? Before stereo's two signals (left and right) was mono where all the sounds were recorded to one channel. (You can have two speakers in a mono system.) I'm wondering if the article might have been describing some kind of omni-directional sound.

Just curious.

It's hard to imagine one-channel becoming the norm when it comes to recording and playing back music.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 30 2012, 8:40 pm)

(ImmortalBen @ Oct. 30 2012, 2:32 pm)

ImmortalBen. did you mean "mono" when you said single channel? Before stereo's two signals (left and right) was mono where all the sounds were recorded to one channel. (You can have two speakers in a mono system.) I'm wondering if the article might have been describing some kind of omni-directional sound.

Just curious.

It's hard to imagine one-channel becoming the norm when it comes to recording and playing back music.

Mono amps bridged. I would assume.  Still State of the art.  A cool mil and you can have a really nice system too.  Endless

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 17
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm very pleased with my Jolida  integrated stereo amplifier.  It is a hybrid, vacuum-tube preamp/solid state amp.  There are higher quality components for more money, but my ears and wallet appreciate the efficiencies of the Jolida.  Cost a little less than $600 in May, 2011 for the JD 1701 RC.

Still have my LPs and turntable, but due to space constraints I have not taken them out of storage.
 Post Number: 18
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still waiting for my girls to grow up a bit or build the new room when the boys are both out of the house. I used to have a serious "stereo" room...sigh, those were the days. Still have my Phono, albums, Lead stands, and a few sheets of Acoustic padding left. I'll have to buy new speakers (most likely EAW studios again), Amp and Pre-Amp. My ex-wife broke into my house and stole the "good stuff" after she left me. A Linn Phono is my dream but I'd have to trade in a child at this point by the time I get all the upgrades I want. One day, I will get one again.

+1 on the NAD. They make some very good stuff.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is probably what I'm going with. I'll get a test listen tomorrow at the HiFi shop. I checked out the NADs and even though they're within price range they're just a little too scaled down for me. For example, I want a receiver that will accept an optical signal from my computer.

So, this is what I'm considering.

Marantz C-R603. I'll let you know next week if I got it or not.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought this was going to be a thread about trailer hitches...
 Post Number: 21
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Nov. 02 2012, 8:53 am)
I thought this was going to be a thread about trailer hitches...

There ya go thinkin', again.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 22
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Harmon Kardon HK3390 2 ch., all analog, receiver that I am quite happy with. It's more expensive sibling, the HK3490, has  digitial input, along with digital stereo surround and an XM-Radio ready tuner. The DSP aspect might no be in line with your requirement for simplicity. Another option for the digital input requirement might be to buy an outboard DAC (digital-to-analog converter). DACs vary significantly in price. PartsExpress.com has a few in the lower end of the range.
 Post Number: 23
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a lot of research and I've decided to keep my Yamaha for a while. I just can't find the combination of inputs/outputs/power in a two channel that I want. The Yamaha is a mid-range receiver that puts out 110 watts into 8ohms. It's fine, I guess, for what I use it for.

Here is picture of the Pioneer CS-911 speakers I'm using. (Not my photo and not my house and not my language.) I bought them new in 1976. That's a 15 inch woofer, 2 mid-range, one tweeter and two super-tweeters. They sound as good as the day I bought them.

Photo of speakers.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The yamaha is fine enough.  clean power.  One of my scouts blurted out at our camping trip, that his great uncle started Mcintosh amps and his grandfather helped build amps for the dead and Jefferson airplane.  I laughed and said sure.  Turns out they did.  And are very wealthy, of course.  And no,  no spare's hanging around for me.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 25
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I ended up getting.

The Harman Kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver.

It lists for $449 but Amazon had it for $284 last week. Couldn't resist.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 26
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like HK. I am sure you'll be pleased.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ebay, Craiglist and similar are good places to buy retro stuff!!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 28
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 28 2012, 7:45 pm)
Ebay, Craiglist and similar are good places to buy retro stuff!!

Thanks for the suggestions, Ben.

But the goal wasn't to head for the past. I've had the whole 5.1 and 7.1 set ups and realized I just didn't sit around enough and watch movies in surround sound.

Mostly, I have music going and most music is in stereo. Going retro really wasn't an option. I still needed a receiver that has a digital processor because I pipe all the computer audio through the receiver. And, most audio that comes through the computer (internet, tv, dvds, cds, websites) are all pretty much two channel (stereo).

Research showed me that there are still manufacturers of 2.0 and 2.1 receivers. The cheapest were made by Sherwood or Pyle. The most expensive included NAD and others. Harman Kardon is a good mid-price piece.

We'll see how it performs.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
27 replies since Oct. 30 2012, 3:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2.0 Receiver
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions