2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: educate me on whiskey< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 9:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know we have those in the know on whiskey, educate me...

I've actually just recently started enjoying beers (local crafts), but have almost always been a bourbon/rum fan. Now that I have some whiskey in the cabinet, I could use some insight.

If it matters:

My bourbon of choice is either Makers Mark or Russell Reserve 10yr. I prefer to sip it over ice, or mix it with ginger ale.

My rum of choice is Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, generally mixed with a coke.

I have two bottles of recently acquired whiskey; Famous Grouse Scotch Whisky & JB Scotch Whisky

What's the general accepted method of comsumption? Are these the equivalent of "well bottles" or are they good?

Tell me what I need to know :)

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You have started a journey down a wonderful, and expensive road.  My advice on Scotch - first, water, no ice.

Second, start with the lightly peated ones from the Lowlands region such as Auchentoshan.  McClellands Lowland is actually distilled at the Auchentoshan distillery and is a bargain if you can get it on sale.  Work you way up the the more heavily peated scotches from the Highland and Islay regions.  With stronger Scotch, you can really taste the difference in aging and quality (which also costs more).

Note that the one's I've mentioned are all "single malt" Scotch, not "blended" brands like J&B and Famous Grouse.  I'm not even going to try to explain this, but here's an article that does a pretty good job:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012....ky.html
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I refuse to educate myself because I know it will cost me money on all fronts. I like Pendleton Whiskey. I will put blinders on and enjoy the warm sweetness I get while huddled inside my winter abode while the storm rages outside.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Autoeng Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have been enjoying bourbons then you have been enjoying whiskey as all bourbons are whiskey but not all whiskey are bourbon. Learn here

Woodford Reserve is much better than Makers Mark.
 Post Number: 5
walkngawk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maker's Mark is a great "go to to whisky."
Try Four Roses Single Barrel with one large ice cube, sipping slowly. You can actually taste a hint of maple syrup.

However, the best tasting bourbon I ever had was from a bottle in a paper bag, passed to me, by my Dad, during a Cleveland Brownsvs Houston Oilers football game,  in December years ago. It was snowing so hard we couldn't see the field.

My point being: it doesn't matter what you drink, its who you drink it with.

--------------
Contentment comes from moderation in all things: But, don’t overdue that either.
 Post Number: 6
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anything that has to be mixed with a soft drink to be enjoyable will make you go blind.
For budget small batch, I like Basel Haydens.
If someone else is buying, I like Pappys.
I like mine on ice.
 Post Number: 7
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only thing I can tell you is - never mix two different kinds of whiskey together and drink it straight.

I don't drink whiskey anymore for this reason  :O

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 8
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Autoeng @ Oct. 31 2012, 11:19 am)
If you have been enjoying bourbons then you have been enjoying whiskey as all bourbons are whiskey but not all whiskey are bourbon. Learn here

Interesting. Man do I have a good bit to learn.

I've bought woodford for a friend as a gift, but honestly, never tried it.

*adds to my list

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

Post Number: 9
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(walkngawk @ Oct. 31 2012, 11:30 am)
However, the best tasting bourbon I ever had was from a bottle in a paper bag, passed to me, by my Dad, during a Cleveland Brownsvs Houston Oilers football game,  in December years ago. It was snowing so hard we couldn't see the field.

My point being: it doesn't matter what you drink, its who you drink it with.

agreed.

I will admit the coors light on the pier with dad is pretty tasty. The coors light in my living room, not so much.

--------------

Post Number: 10
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once you develop a taste for the finer Single Malt Scotch brands, you might consider sipping it straight/neat.
 Post Number: 11
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is all about what you like.  I did not always like Scotch, but came to like it once I got past the need to drink whiskey just to get drunk.  Once I started drinking to enjoy the taste sensation, then it opened up a whole new world.  

I like Irish whiskeys and Scotch wkiskeys.  I don't much get into bourbons but that is mainly because my budget doesn't allow me to explore as much as I would like.

I usually pour the whiskey into a short glass or a special whiskey glass and then add a small bit of water (teaspoon-tablespoon depending on how much whiskey I have poured) which really opens up the taste of the whiskey.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, I've heard both sides of the argument about adding water and drinking it neat. Is this a matter of preference or is there something to adding water?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the small bit of water opens up the whiskey.  Some people put only a few drops in a shot of Scotch.  I usually drink more than just a shot so I put in a teaspoon-tablespoon depending on how much I have poured.  The object is not to dilute the Scotch, just give the flavours room ... so to speak.

Rumi

PS: I also like to let the glass sit for two or three minutes after adding the water.  It has become kinda a ritual with me.

PPS:  I had a small galss of Laphroag Quarter Cask (one of PJ's favorites) the other night.  I put in about 1 tablespoon of water and let it set for a few minutes.  It is hard to remember a more satisfying whiskey experiece than that. From the first sip till the final bottoms-up swallow, it was fantastic.

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 14
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Oct. 31 2012, 12:34 pm)
I will admit the coors light on the pier with dad is pretty tasty. The coors light in my living room, not so much.

It's the pier and the company...the Coors Light isn't any better out there, but the infusion of water, bait, and (hopefully) fish overpower it...the company just tops it off.

You and I need to work to get Weyerbacher sold in this state. Mmmmmm.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 15
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I once hear someone say a bit of water "brings out the nose" and that ice makes Scotch taste more harsh.

I'm not going to pretend I'm sophisticated to know what I'm talking about, but it works for me.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 31 2012, 12:20 pm)
I'm not going to pretend I'm sophisticated to know what I'm talking about, but it works for me.

Right on!  And that's the whole thing, if it works for you.  If it doesn't, then do whatever does.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

good to know about the water.

in my short research, i did see where it was suggested to add nothing but water to it....

I shall try a small glass of the Grouse and water for starters tonight...

I will say for those that haven't tried it, and can find it, the Russell Reserve (made by wild turkey) 10yr bourbon is some good stuff. It's a small batch blend and unfortunately, not available everywhere.

--------------

Post Number: 18
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Oct. 31 2012, 6:35 am)
My rum of choice is Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, generally mixed with a coke.

Tell me what I need to know :)

Can't help you with the Whiskey, but for rum you may want to try 10 Cane rum neat.

Or Arundel if you ever get down to Tortoa in the British Virgin Islands. God I love that stuff....

Yes, I have a Sugar Cane Rum addicition.....

http://www.rumgallery.com/arundel-cane-rum-10-year.html

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
 Post Number: 19
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK-- I am going to weigh in here with a bit of contrary advice to the OP.

Lostsheep, I don't think that Scotch is your drink.

You told us that you drink Bourbon (which is a lot sweeter than Scotch) and that you often mix it with Ginger Ale, which is sweet.  And you drink Spiced Rum (which is sweet) mixed with Coke.  

Scotch isn't sweet.  In fact, it's pretty darn dry. And if you like these other drinks, you are very likely going to find Scotch unpleasant.

There are those who will try to convince you that you should like Scotch...and even that liking Scotch is somehow a sign of a maturing palate.

Sorry.  Some people like sweet things, and some people prefer dry things.  If you prefer sweet, keep drinking sweet and enjoy.  And don't let anyone tell you that what you are doing is somehow less sophisticated or cultured than what they do.

So don't be surprised if you taste Scotch and find it not to your liking.  And don't feel that you have to learn to like it.  You don't.

Just for background, I teach wine and spirit classes at Napa Valley College and the Culinary Institute of America...and in the world of beverages, we should learn from backpackers.  Instead of HYOH, it should be Drink Your Own Drink.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 20
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never liked the thought of adding water because of the dilution factor, but I can see where a little bit would bring out some of the flavors.

Either I'll drink mine straight or on ice. Over time the ice melts down and is the water, so I suppose that balances out the lack there of in the beginning.

Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Jack Daniels Old No. 7 are decent. Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Knob Creek Single Barrel, and Blantons are better. Jim Beam is your classic bourbon. J&B and Dewars are the two scotches I've had and they are fine - Dewars is a bit lighter.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel is probably my favorite, Knob Creek Single Barrel and Blantons tied for second. Old No.7 or Jim Beam are a little easier on the $$ and last longer though  :)

I have a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey and its decent also. I don't think I've ever had an Irish Whiskey before so I don't have much to compare it to.

I have tried to find a bottle of Old Potrero, it is a colonial style whiskey, and the only place I can find it is online. I'd rather get it at a store if I can find it.

As always, drink responsibly. Getting smashed isn't the point - fine whiskeys are there to be enjoyed.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 21
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Drink Your Own Drink"
I like that balzaccom

To the OP - I like bourbon as well, usually straight or occasionally on the rocks.  
I also like Irish whiskey.

I haven't acquired the same fondness for Scotch though.  
I can drink it, but I just don't appreciate it as much as bourbon or Irish whiskey.
 Post Number: 22
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wish I could help but, I gave up on whiskey.  My tastes were getting waaaaay to expensive.  When you're looking at a bottles of Macallen 25 year old thinking, "if the 18 is so much better than the 12, this might be worth $700 a bottle" you know you've gone too far.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 23
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 31 2012, 6:09 pm)
Wish I could help but, I gave up on whiskey.  My tastes were getting waaaaay to expensive.  When you're looking at a bottles of Macallen 25 year old thinking, "if the 18 is so much better than the 12, this might be worth $700 a bottle" you know you've gone too far.

Another great point. Keep any hobby within your budget for the most satisfaction.  An inexpensive bottle of wine that I really enjoy can help me forget my Jordan taste, and then again...sometimes I just have to walk away.
 Post Number: 24
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes the $5 bottles of wine are pretty good too. You never know.

I like to change things up a little. I haven't ever had real expensive stuff yet, maybe I shouldn't. Then again, if I didn't know what it cost then I could have the pure comparison of taste and quality alone.

I spent $50 on a bottle of wine one time, off the rating scale and a recommendation. It was a good wine, and for the purpose it suited, but I am not sure it was worth it in the end. Sometimes the ratings make the price go too high. If you can find a no-name brand that isn't rated and is good quality you'll make out like a bandit - until everyone else discovers it and the ratings start  :)

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 25
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Autoeng @ Oct. 31 2012, 12:19 pm)

Yep^^

There are actually rules and regs as to what can be labelled what. Jim Beam company now makes several higher end, so called connoisseur bourbons. Go back 25 years and Jim Beam was just about the only one you'd see at liquor stores, and it was cheap! Jack Daniels was more expensive than Jim Beam by about 30-50%. But Jack Daniels is sour mash Whiskey. Actually, it technically meets the criteria and regulations as a bourbon, but JD refuses to call it a bourbon, and instead they call it a Tennessee sour mash whiskey...  

But you can also try Old Grandad , Wild Turkey, Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve, Early Times, Eagle Rare, Rebel Yell, etc.

But while you are sampling southern alcohol, you'd be remiss not to buy a legal, taxed bottle of moonshine! You can too!(legally I mean)

Then you'll need a pack of Red Man chewing tobacco, a Dale Earnhart t-shirt, and a pickup with a gun rack and a rope in the back!
 Post Number: 26
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KC8QVO @ Oct. 31 2012, 7:17 pm)
Sometimes the $5 bottles of wine are pretty good too. You never know.

I like to change things up a little. I haven't ever had real expensive stuff yet, maybe I shouldn't. Then again, if I didn't know what it cost then I could have the pure comparison of taste and quality alone.

I spent $50 on a bottle of wine one time, off the rating scale and a recommendation. It was a good wine, and for the purpose it suited, but I am not sure it was worth it in the end. Sometimes the ratings make the price go too high. If you can find a no-name brand that isn't rated and is good quality you'll make out like a bandit - until everyone else discovers it and the ratings start  :)

I was at a party where the host broke open a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild from the early 90's(this was in the late 90's), and that bottle was supposedly $210 when new.

Honestly I didnt think it was any better than some $25 bottles of French red I had tried.
 Post Number: 27
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jack Daniels.......that's all you need to know....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Oct. 31 2012, 9:08 pm)
Jack Daniels.......that's all you need to know....

I'd rather have Jim Beam in my coffee.  Flavors just meld better.

I lived in Kentucky twice.  Once, just one county away from Bardstown (Bourbon Central).  I keep trying to remember the name of a VERY fine but inexpensive bourbon, from Bourbon county, but my memory fails me.  I could only get it in bars in that area.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 29
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're buying, I'll drink it

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I said that once, Chuck.  Found out about Ouzo.

--------------
41 replies since Oct. 31 2012, 9:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply educate me on whiskey
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions