2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Preparing for a Sandy Sized Storm, What did/do/are you going to do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 2:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know plenty of people who go the route of it being a joke and talk about keeping their supplies of booze up to the task of supplying them through a storm.  Then there are others who are the end of the world people who stock up on water, MRE's, generators, batteries and anything else they think they might need.  More often than not the ones here in SE PA stock up on booze, bread and milk.

My area was very affected by winds from Sandy.  We have plenty of trees down and powerlines down.  Being a firefighter, I was on call from Monday night through Wednesday running calls ranging from houses blowing up (which they didn't) to wires arcing.  I was very lucky in the fact that no trees came down on my house/property and we never lost power.

I prepared by going around my place, cleaning up anything that could blow away, caulking up gaps that I have been neglecting, trimming tree limbs, buying some water, lanterns at the ready, flashlights at the ready, firewood ready and dry, plus plenty of food that was simple to heat up on a camp stove.

I had a back up plan of moving my family to the firehouse which has a generator and heat, but luckily it was not needed.

What is your game plan for such a venture?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I seem to always have about 3 weeks of dehydrated meals in my gear.  I also own 4 of those 5 gallons water containers.  I fill them up when needed.  I would also fill the bathtub so I could flush the toilets. Could also take buckets from the hot tub for that.  I own 3 propane tanks for the grill, and have a half full chest freezer of meat.  I own enough camp stoves to feed the Salvation Army, and usually have enough fuel around to last a month.

I have lived in areas where severe storms were an annual event.  Not any longer.  If my power goes out, it is repaired in a day or 2.  Even in NH when a hurricane knocked out my power for a week, I was OK with the supplies I already had in the house.

I liked the term "French Toast" disaster planning.  Run to the store and buy bread, eggs, and milk.  :)

If I lived in an area where such storms were more prevalent,  I think it would be prudent to have a couple of sheets of plywood on hand always.  I do know people who keep the outside of their home ready for easy storm preparedness.

Trees are another matter. Keeping them in good shape and healthy is a task.  Keeping them away from the house is difficult, especially when they are monsters when you buy the house.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lived 30 yrs in So Florida and saw my share of storms.  I should say at the time, my special needs son, Sam, was on oxygen, feeding pump, suction for his trach,  you name it.  I never missed a beat when we were out for 8 days after Wilma.  Tons of prepping, Gas for the generator, for at least a week, meds, massive water supply, everything.  Oh yeah and food.  I was prepared pretty well For Sandy, up here in Maine, but we got lucky.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you're covered.

I try not to go overboard, I need what I need to get by until we can get to the store.  Rarely are we in the situation where we're doomed for weeks.  I meant to get a generator before this storm but didn't.  I will certainly before the next one, just for food and water.

Yes, french toast is in high production during storms here in my area.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 01 2012, 2:59 pm)
I lived 30 yrs in So Florida and saw my share of storms.  I should say at the time, my special needs son, Sam, was on oxygen, feeding pump, suction for his trach,  you name it.  I never missed a beat when we were out for 8 days after Wilma.  Tons of prepping, Gas for the generator, for at least a week, meds, massive water supply, everything.  Oh yeah and food.  I was prepared pretty well For Sandy, up here in Maine, but we got lucky.

Wow, that's a really different situation than probably most.  I didn't even think about that.

Sounds like you're good at planning ahead and being prepared.

A side note, how'd you go from living in FL to living in ME?

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 01 2012, 3:04 pm)
Sounds like you're covered.

I try not to go overboard, I need what I need to get by until we can get to the store.  Rarely are we in the situation where we're doomed for weeks.  I meant to get a generator before this storm but didn't.  I will certainly before the next one, just for food and water.

Yes, french toast is in high production during storms here in my area.

Generator's allow you to keep your firdge /freezer working.  Only have to run it during the day.  And it's nice to have the box outside with the dedicated line and transfer switch.  Don't want it to back feed and kill some guy working on the lines.  And of course, french toast.  Gonna make some on our scouts camping trip this weekend.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Different issue here, as we are tony subject to big storms, and our power has never been out for more than an hour or so (after a car hit a pole).  But we need to be prepared at all times for a major earthquake, which will hit without any chance to run to the store for eggs, milk, and coffee (I don't drink beer).  I keep a pretty good supply of staples on hand (canned goods, etc.).  Jugs of water in several closets in hopes that at least one will remain accessible. Old backpacking gear and clothes in a couple of packs that can be quickly grabbed for an evacuation.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That reminds me. I'm getting low on Scotch.   :p

Out here, the danger is deep snow or ice.

I have plenty of wood, a generator and we're have well/septic/propane for utilities.

I could easily go a week or more.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 01 2012, 3:06 pm)

(bad knees @ Nov. 01 2012, 2:59 pm)

Wow, that's a really different situation than probably most.  I didn't even think about that.

Sounds like you're good at planning ahead and being prepared.

A side note, how'd you go from living in FL to living in ME?

S Fla is a SH*&t hole compared to what it was years ago.  Crime etc...  My wife's granparents home here in Kittery, where she spent summers as a child, came up for sale after they passed away and she always wanted to live here.  So we rented both are homes and moved up here.  Better way of life to raise my other son.  And a dang fine place for us too.  Maine is so beautifull.  
Still have the cottage in the Smokies too.  Thats my happy place.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's all good.

I often see those far off the road places and think to myself how nice it would be to be forced to be prepared just by living in such an area.

I love the cabin we go to in Maine where after ten they shut off the generator and you run everything on gas lights.  Sure it's not the best to read by but it's a very nice light.

I feel like being where we are also tends to make us think we need more unimportant supplies than we actually do.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, a cottage in the Smokies, house in Maine and in FL.  You've got the east coast covered to say the least.

I agree, I'd move to Maine in a second, I love everything about it up there.  WITH one exception, black flies.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 01 2012, 3:59 pm)
Wow, a cottage in the Smokies, house in Maine and in FL.  You've got the east coast covered to say the least.

I agree, I'd move to Maine in a second, I love everything about it up there.  WITH one exception, black flies.

Yeah my wife likes buying homes.  If I could only get her to sell a couple.  I am on the coast in Maine, so black flies not much of a problem.  But the marsh mosquitos can strip a carcass in @ 10 minutes. And I won't even mention the horse fly's.   :D

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 13
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am in mostly good shape for things.  However, without a generator, I'd stand to lose a lot of food and have a potentially miserable time in a powerless storm aftermath (it'd be damn hot and humid to be managing without A/C or at minimum fans in TX).

Being that I'm moving up to IN, the risk will be less with widespread storm damage from hurricanes to more local and intense storm damage (tornadoes) and possible blizzards (rare, but it happens there) and more widespread damage from flooding because of the gentler topography.  power outages will still be a concern, so a gennie is a priority in the future.

I tend to keep enough food by default that I could manage for a week without a special grocery trip.  eat up fridge/freezer stocks first and then dive into the pantry.  I tend to keep a lot of things like rice, noodles, quinoa that keep well long term.  I also tend to have supplies on hand to make my own basic bread.  I keep two cylinders of propane currently, but a third would be a solid addition.  maybe more along with a propane heater (for outside use, of course).

when I make it up to Indiana, I'd like to see about purchasing some land out in the country (and renting a place in the city for the time being).  I'm thinking 10-20 acres.  recent cabin discussions here have got me thinking more seriously about it.  I've done some pricing out of things and there are some plots of land without buildings that might just be affordable.  I would like to build a cabin on said land eventually, and keep it off the grid.  more for simplicity's sake of not needing to deal with utilities, but such a place would be a pretty effective place for disaster relief.  I would possibly set up a combination of solar and wind (a small wind turbine, esp one of the vertical ones, would be less expensive/more efficient) generation for power, definitely solar water heating, with the possibility of supplementing power with a generator.  Not sure if I'd have a propane tank added or not.  it might be useful for heating, at least.  I'd keep the number of electrical devices down to keep power demands low (well pump, fans, lights, fridge, radio, that's about it).  wood burning stove.  cellar for storage of nonperishables.  primarily it would be a weekend place to go for quiet.  reading, nature (I want to do some habitat restoration projects), photography, hunting, fishing, family time, etc.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 14
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We went nine days with out power after Ike, after riding out that storm our plan is to ride out Cat 1 and 2 storms, run from anything higher. We have our bug out boxes all ready to go (good way to keep important papers etc. organized), data files, pictures, etc on the cloud and on portable drives.

I've got plywood cut to cover windows, a plan to move all outside things under cover, a transfer switch on the electrical panel and a generator. I plan on getting a small icemaker that I can use car camping and to make a little ice if the power is out for an extended time. I too have a couple of propane bottles and almost all the time have a couple of bags of charcoal on hand.

After Ike we got together with the neighbors and cooked as much perishable food as we could for group dinners.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 15
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah preparation for natural disasters?  Ah well ok, now let me put my head back in the sand.

Many people in coastal areas, maybe most, did take Sandy storm warnings seriously and even if they had not been prepared beforehand, rushed about to get at least some of what they needed to do done.  But then there were others just like with Katrina that seem to be in a fog.  And of course governments in those areas, especially local shoreline New Jersey communities had been keeping their head in the sand for decades.  

http://www.floridatoday.com/usatoda....302%7cs

For locals that keeps taxes lower, saves money spent on supplies and effort, and doesn't scare people who would otherwise be more suspicious buying all the pricy coastal real estate. Great platform for a politician to get elected by.  Same situation along beautiful river areas that flood every few decades.   Of course after such disasters it is everyone else that ends up paying while real estate people have long since retired elsewhere to some country club and only have to wipe the rain water off their golf clubs.  One thing that always amazes me with such disaster images are all the expensive mobile automobiles, trucks, smaller boats, etc that owners apparently did not bother to move inland.

There are simply large numbers of people in every disaster that are unprepared and clueless.   Regardless of how much government civil authorities warn, one can expect that to continue unless someone goes around with a club.   But it is not just flooding.  Out here in California especially Southern California, its wildfires in chaparral areas.  Those expensive homes built into the hilly native vegetation looks so beautiful!   And we also have earthquakes though authorities at least have been banging their hammers enough that many areas outside inner cities are reasonably prepared.

http://accidentalsurvivalist.wordpress.com/2012....repared

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 16
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The most likely disaster to befall our area is an earthquake.  After an earthquake I think the #1 most important thing to have is water.  We have about 30 gallons stored in a couple of different places in our house - and I have a filter and Aqua Mira and know where natural water sources are in the area if all else fails.  Of course food and shelter are important - we have a food stockpile and camping gear so we'll be okay there for quite a while.  We try and keep our cars full of gas - but we haven't gone as far as getting a generator.  We have a portable emergency radio, flashlights, lantern, and headlamps, and stay stocked with batteries.  Camp stoves and extra fuel - check.  I think we could live w/o electricity for a while - it gets warm and cold where we live, but not extremely so.  We have family in the area that can help us out in other ways.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 17
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No generator, but set up to camp for a couple weeks in the backyard if required. Have a 55 gallon drum in the garage full of water that gets changed out annually, and several months of packaged and canned foods in the basement. Also grab and go bags for both of us in case we had to run for it.
I am remiss in not duplicating our preparations with our cars. If I was stuck 20 miles from home in the summer, it would be a long, hot, thirsty walk.
Interestingly enough, had to access my food storage a few years back when I was unemployed for about three months. "Disasters" come in all sizes.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 18
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did my regular fall yard cleanup, which I had been neglecting because I'm lazy. Other than that, I topped off the fuel in my generator, bought gas and 3 extra cases of beer.  That would have gotten me through a full 10 day power outage if needed--running the generator for an hour every 3.  There's plenty of pasta and rice and such in the pantry and the freezer is full.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 19
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The generator people are the ones waiting three hours a day in gas lines
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what convinced a lot of my neighbors to bail out.
 Post Number: 21
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's because they run the generator straight through.  I just run mine long enough to keep the fridge cold, get some water and heat/cool the house.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most people seem to be running them about the 19consistency hours a day. Also, a lot of gas stations are limiting purchases.  The closest one to us that was open had a $10 max on Thursday.
 Post Number: 23
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd move to higher ground.

Oh, wait. :p

Anyhoo, around here it's wildfires and/or flash floods I have to worry about.  Both those are a quick-evacuation scenario (I've got family in the area I could go to) and hopefully let insurance take care of what's left behind, if it came to that.  Not much else to do.

Short of a big blizzard, there's not a ton that would leave me stranded at home for terribly long.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 24
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep stocked up all the time.  Case of Romien noodles, Case of canned Spam, 10 pounds of dried pinto beans, 10 pounds of dried rice, 5 pounds of coffee, 10 pounds of sugar......

Not counting a freezer full of beef that would go bad without a generator.  Also got 15 pounds of jumbo shrimp frozen.....

Then there's the canned stuff......

I know I've got to eat....so why not stay fairly well stocked up all the time?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 02 2012, 7:58 pm)
Most people seem to be running them about the 19consistency hours a day.

that was supposed to say ten hours.  Dang phone!
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

15 pounds of thawed shrimp is even scarier to contemplate than a lack of flushing water.
 Post Number: 27
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My roommate and his brother have dump trucks and since they do a lot of hauling, have a shop and a 5000 gallon tank of diesel. No chance of our generators running out unless a power outage lasts more than a year or 2.

Living on a year 'round river plus a well, 2 freezers full of meats and frozen veggies, several shelves of dried goods and countless deer running around (plus the neighbor's 200 head of cattle). We're set.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

White gas is awful handy.  A Whisperite is less than convenient, but it's not too thirsty. I could cook for a month or two with what's on hand.
 Post Number: 29
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 02 2012, 8:52 pm)
15 pounds of thawed shrimp is even scarier to contemplate than a lack of flushing water.

Are your local bears too well fed to take advantage of that?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Nov. 03 2012, 11:56 am)

(big_load @ Nov. 02 2012, 8:52 pm)

Are your local bears too well fed to take advantage of that?

So it would appear.  The essentials from the refrigerator are in a cooler in the back yard. No bear action yet.
32 replies since Nov. 01 2012, 2:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Preparing for a Sandy Sized Storm
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions