2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Are we a representative sample? :: Total Votes:80
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Obama/Biden 42  [52.50%]
Johnson/Gray 5  [6.25%]
Stein/Honkala 3  [3.75%]
Romney/Ryan 25  [31.25%]
none of the above 2  [2.50%]
didn't vote 3  [3.75%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are we a representative sample?, straight-up anonymous political poll< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The choices are as given by a randomization algorithm. There is no humanly discernable intentional order.

Just wondering where the forum falls. Please don't claim your candidate. I'm not interested in knowing why... (well, I am, but not here and not now).

I have an incorrigible hope in our ability to be civil.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would expect this forum to be leaning to the Left because of a concern for wild places, and the Left seems to be most concerned about keeping wild places wild.  Hunters and fishermen may tend to the Right, but I would think BPers tended Left.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You realize there's a forum for this, right? :p

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:29 pm)
I have an incorrigible hope in our ability to be evil.

I like it this way better.   :p
 Post Number: 5
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is of continual wonder to me how people think hunters/fishermen are not as concerned with conservation (or "keeping wild places wild") as any other outdoor enthusiast.

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:44 pm)
You realize there's a forum for this, right? :p

Yeah, but I don't go there...it messes with the aforementioned hope :p
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The votes should be weighted by numbers of electoral college votes for the poster's resident state... :)
Or state of birth, I'm open to compromise....
 Post Number: 8
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:49 pm)
It is of continual wonder to me how people think hunters/fishermen are not as concerned with conservation (or "keeping wild places wild") as any other outdoor enthusiast.

Not sure I agree.  I live on the coast of Maine and every other bumper sticker I see, blasts any form of Govt control or regulation of the fishing/ lobster industry.  And I have a bunch of friends who are commercial lobsterman.  Most would like nothing more than to remove all laws and fish them to death.  And if you want to  find a good fishing hole, just look for the trash. Beer cans, old line, tubs from worms etc... And I am an avid fisherman.  Never understood this.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Nov. 05 2012, 3:49 pm)

I did not say that, at least not intentionally.

This is a BPing board, so I expect the leanings to be more left than if it was an NRA one.

Hunters and fishermen may lean Right, but I would think BPers would lean left, because the Left is more Environmentalist.  While hunters and fishermen may have some Conservation interests, I would not put them generally in the Environmental camp.

It is true that hunters and fishermen contribute to causes that further game and fish habitat, and they may be partially responsible for some of the Wilderness designated areas, including Wild and Scenic rivers.

To keep this from further dropping into a Political discussion, I will leave it at that.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 05 2012, 7:25 pm)
To keep this from further dropping into a Political discussion, I will leave it at that.

Thanks. Yer awsum.  :cool:
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 05 2012, 4:10 pm)

Not sure I agree.  I live on the coast of Maine and every other bumper sticker I see, blasts any form of Govt control or regulation of the fishing/ lobster industry.  And I have a bunch of friends who are commercial lobsterman.  Most would like nothing more than to remove all laws and fish them to death.  And if you want to  find a good fishing hole, just look for the trash. Beer cans, old line, tubs from worms etc... And I am an avid fisherman.  Never understood this.

There is a tendency to take the worst specimens of any group of people and attribute their actions to the whole.

Plenty of BP'rs leave trash around. Plenty of people on BP trails love to carve things into trees and scratch things onto rock formations. How many trails across the country have had to be closed in order to tend to the damage caused by passers-by? These actions should not be attributed to BP'ers as a whole, so why should BP'ers get away with attributing similar actions to huntsmen and fishermen as a whole? I cry foul!

I doubt a bumper sticker has enough room on it to bemoan ALL regulation and remain readable. I will take that part of your statement to be hyperbole.

It would make no sense for a fisherman to WANT to fish out their livelihood. I bet they area against OVER-regulation or improper regulation. Only an anarchist would advocate having no regulation for anything whatsoever.

I recall the type of people you are referring to, however. I do not think I personally know any of them, and I am a hunter with many hunting friends. The vast majority of huntsmen and fishermen love pristine wilderness. Also, herd management as practiced by the hunting industry has a side result of working to eliminate unwanted gene traits from many of North America's big game animals.

You should read the hunting forums with threads griping about people mistreating the wilderness. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:51 pm)
The votes should be weighted by numbers of electoral college votes for the poster's resident state... :)
Or state of birth, I'm open to compromise....

State of birth: Live.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those who live in Ohio and Florida will have to stand in line for a few hours before they can vote, otherwise it ain't realistic.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Nov. 05 2012, 7:55 pm)

(bad knees @ Nov. 05 2012, 4:10 pm)

There is a tendency to take the worst specimens of any group of people and attribute their actions to the whole.

Plenty of BP'rs leave trash around. Plenty of people on BP trails love to carve things into trees and scratch things onto rock formations. How many trails across the country have had to be closed in order to tend to the damage caused by passers-by? These actions should not be attributed to BP'ers as a whole, so why should BP'ers get away with attributing similar actions to huntsmen and fishermen as a whole? I cry foul!

I doubt a bumper sticker has enough room on it to bemoan ALL regulation and remain readable. I will take that part of your statement to be hyperbole.

It would make no sense for a fisherman to WANT to fish out their livelihood. I bet they area against OVER-regulation or improper regulation. Only an anarchist would advocate having no regulation for anything whatsoever.

I recall the type of people you are referring to, however. I do not think I personally know any of them, and I am a hunter with many hunting friends. The vast majority of huntsmen and fishermen love pristine wilderness. Also, herd management as practiced by the hunting industry has a side result of working to eliminate unwanted gene traits from many of North America's big game animals.

You should read the hunting forums with threads griping about people mistreating the wilderness. :)

Perhaps you are too young to remember the striper decline in the 70's.  The strict regulation brought them back from the brink,  to strong levels. Considered by many, as the "Crown Jewel"  of conservation .  And yes, there is a strong group  that will deplete any resource they can exploit for the " whats in it for me now" attitude.  Just saying.  As the price of lobster fell, and the price of fuel increased , they turned to eels.  Traded their pots for eel traps.  Didn't take long for the Govt to step in and regulate that industry too.  As the  Giant Blue fin too. And yes they have a bumper sticker that states their opinion.  If I can find it, I will post it for you.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:25 pm)
And yes they have a bumper sticker that states their opinion.  If I can find it, I will post it for you.

But not here? This sounds like an enthralling discussion that deserves its own unique space.  :;):
 Post Number: 16
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm from Chicago but it would not let me vote more than once. Can someone look into that for me

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 17
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 05 2012, 5:46 pm)
I'm from Chicago but it would not let me vote more than once. Can someone look into that for me

I believe your IP address has to link back to a cemetery.

#ChicagoStylePoliticallyActive
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:46 pm)

I love Chicago.  Went there once. All ya need is a sail boat, a mountain bike and a ton of cash. I was looking for a pizza joint and a guy asked if I needed  help. I was ready to go into my flight mode.  So polite.  Not used to that.   Love that city.  Very nice.  And I am not a "city slicker"  But if I had to live in a city???

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 19
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:51 pm)

(eggs @ Nov. 05 2012, 5:46 pm)

I believe your IP address has to link back to a cemetery.

#ChicagoStylePoliticallyActive

this made me laugh

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I gotta say, the funny comments in this thread are pretty darn funny.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, who's going to claim they're independent and haven't made their mind up on who they're going to vote for tomorrow?
 Post Number: 22
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 05 2012, 5:25 pm)
It is true that hunters and fishermen contribute to causes that further game and fish habitat, and they may be partially responsible for some of the Wilderness designated areas, including Wild and Scenic rivers.

Actually, I belive the amount of money spend on envornmental causes (not just habitat) by "environmentalists" pales in comparison to the amount that comes from hunting and fishing license fees.

Not that the sportsmen (and sportswomen) have much of a choice or say in the matter.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 05 2012, 7:07 pm)

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 05 2012, 5:25 pm)

Actually, I belive the amount of money spend on envornmental causes (not just habitat) by "environmentalists" pales in comparison to the amount that comes from hunting and fishing license fees.

Not that the sportsmen (and sportswomen) have much of a choice or say in the matter.

True, indeed. A lot of our hunting gear is also more expensive (in general) than BP gear, and the taxes we pay on those items cannot be ignored. :)

We do not mind funding a good chunk of conservation, as we enjoy the end result just as much as a BP'er.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The worst trashing of a backcountry site I ever saw was trashed by backpackers.  The worst frontcountry site was trashed by hunters.  Fishermen can pretty much trash any site they go to.  

The problem is that we see only the nasty behavior, rarely the noble as the noble is LNT.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 25
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I already voted early, though in Texas, sad to say, or at least to me is that it did not truly mean much this time, I am sure that the majority of the people living in Texas voted for the other guy.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 26
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The one true poll is running 59% to 41%  Obama

http://www.7-eleven.com/7-Election/

The people speak with their coffee.    

I HOPE the danged thing is over by the time I crawl into bed tomorrow night.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 27
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone wanna see my hanging chad?    :cool:
 Post Number: 28
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Nov. 05 2012, 9:01 pm)
Anyone wanna see my hanging chad?    :cool:

Are you sure it is hanging and not dangling?   :laugh:  :O

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Y'all get a room.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 05 2012, 10:02 pm)
So, who's going to claim they're independent and haven't made their mind up on who they're going to vote for tomorrow?

I consider myself an independent voter, and I have made up my mind. I've done my own research--reading candidates' websites, news articles, and the Sec. of State's website --to determine which candidates and which ballot issues will get my vote.  I will be voting for a democrat, several republicans, a libertarian, and a constitution party candidate.  Above all, I chose candidates that I feel are honest, have integrity, who best represent my personal beliefs and values, and who seem to be good people. One of those candidates happens to be one of my former high school students!

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
44 replies since Nov. 05 2012, 6:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Are we a representative sample?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions