2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 3<<123

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Given our penchant for judging...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 61
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 09 2012, 11:49 am)
On reflection, that ad may be dangerous, as well as stupid and insensitive (okay, yeah, I'm a lot more comfortable judging corporations :D).  I mean, I hope no one thinks that they can cope with desert heat just by wearing the "right" shoes.

Or even that their "breathable GoreTex liners" will do squat to keep your feet cool.  In addition to being extraordinarily naive (or at least, aimed at the naive) and blatantly inconsiderate in its manipulation, the ad is just poor advice, period.  I would not recommend GoreTex boots to anyone in the Grand Canyon in summer.

Not that it's really a deciding factor in survival, as you noted, but still.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 62
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of gore-tex lined boots for the kind of hiking I do: high mountains, lot's of stream crossings, snowfields, etc., in typically cold to moderately warm temps.

But that's totally different than what I'd pick for the Grand Canyon (duh).
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 63
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke, No need to blame yourself as the fate we meet is just that, our destiny.

Having lost a son, I to, often think about what I could have done differently.....why of all the things I taught him the one thing I missed was teaching him how to live a long life.....and how I struggle.... How guilty I sometimes feel because of his death and the hollowness and void, the emptiness that it brought to us.

Nothing is every quite the same and I guess it never will be.  No way can we every make it right.

I take my wife into the wilderness most every weekend.  For many years we backpacked...as she grows older, and me to for that matter, backpacking is now more often a horseback ride.  The remoteness of it, the beauty, spending time with each other and our beloved animals, the feeling like we're the only ones for miles and the wilderness is ours offset the risk that goes with it.  Life, and living always has some risk doesn't it?

There isn't much I can say that you probably haven't heard and my advice is to cherish the memories made, honor Aprils memory as you feel the need and keep on doing what you love.

I guess in a sense, it's merciful that we don't know the time or the place but in the end it's always the same for each of us.

I'll drink one to April's memory tonight.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 64
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good reminder OZ

I remember being at the canyon that day (we went there for our honeymoon - did just the tourist thing on the rim) and remembering your group was down there hiking - and we were hot just sauntering around.  I didn't have a good feeling, and felt sick when I heard the news :(

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 65
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ol-Zeke, i don't know what to say, just wish that your pain can lessen over time.  My mom, who i was very close with, got sick with cancer when i was 16 and later died a couple of months after turning 20, so i know the feeling of loss very well and my heart feels for you.

It's good to judge things and conditions at times, but not individuals, especially not in any kind of condemning sense.  We're all at different points in our growth and maturity, but i think all, or most of us, are here in an attempt to grow more and mistakes and challenge are some of the most catalytic ways to grow and improve.
64 replies since Nov. 07 2012, 9:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 3<<123
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Given our penchant for judging...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions