2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where Don't You Want to Live...?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 1:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, BPers...!!!

So, we all have those nirvana-like towns we would love to live in.  How 'bout those places we don't want to live...???  For me, I would not like to live in:

Texas

Louisiana

Mississippi

South Carolina

Kansas

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always look for the good in a place, there is something good everywhere if you just look for it.

I've enjoyed most all the places I've lived, and I've lived in a few places most would consider hell holes.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 3
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting!
I'm picking a new place to live 2 years from now...would it be too much to ask for reasons along with the list?

I'll add:
North Philadelphia - high crime
Miami - don't like hot/humid
Wind Gap, PA - hiked through on the AT...just a weird vibe
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Across the street from my home. That house has some problems.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Nov. 08 2012, 1:22 pm)
I always look for the good in a place, there is something good everywhere if you just look for it.

I've enjoyed most all the places I've lived, and I've lived in a few places most would consider hell holes.

Same here. I've lived in very "cool" places (Seattle) and in very uncool places (Iowa, Kansas), and place in between. People are mostly good everywhere I've been.

I was almost 40 when I moved to Kansas, and I can honestly say the idea of living in Kansas had probably never entered my mind.

But, in many ways, we like it here better than the other places we've lived. People have that heartland sense of genuine warmth, for the most part. And my part of Kansas (the flint hills) is actually pretty scenic.

I tend to share to OP's views about Mississippi and South Carolina, but were I to actually move there, I'd probably find plenty to like about those places, too.
 Post Number: 6
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chicago. Seems like the  life expectancy age has dropped significantly over the last several months.
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sudan, Zimbabwe, etc. - lack of access to good beer

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think I would ever be very happy living in the deep South.  Nothing against the people, it's just the climate.  First I have a lot of trouble with heat and humidity. Second, I really like winter and snow.  Think I"ll stay where I am.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A big city.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 08 2012, 2:52 pm)
I don't think I would ever be very happy living in the deep South.  Nothing against the people, it's just the climate.  First I have a lot of trouble with heat and humidity. Second, I really like winter and snow.  

Me too.  And the bugs - big, Southern bugs freak me out!  They might give them pretty names like 'palmetto bugs', but they are giant flying cockroaches.  So, yeah, the South is out for me.

I'd live just about any place west of here (Chicago) - even Kansas and Nebraska are closer to Colorado  :p

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 11
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Nov. 08 2012, 2:59 pm)

I don't think I would ever be very happy living in the deep South.  Nothing against the people, it's just the climate.  First I have a lot of trouble with heat and humidity. Second, I really like winter and snow.  

Me too.  And the bugs - big, Southern bugs freak me out!  They might give them pretty names like 'palmetto bugs', but they are giant flying cockroaches.  So, yeah, the South is out for me.

You aren't kidding!!  Did a lot of travel to the mid-south a couple years ago.  I swear they called any giant bug a waterbug.  We weren't even near water, lol!!

But add me to the list of folks who would generally avoid the south.  I'm a four season kinda guy, and really love my New England fall and winter season.

Edit: Actually there's one state I would move to in the south.  Louisiana, man I just loved that place.  The people, the food, the Cajun culture in general just appeals to me (perhaps because of my heritage).  The heat and humidity are brutal though...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 12
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With my in-laws

Somalia

Ohio

any inner city

Uranus

not necessarily in that order
 Post Number: 13
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arizona

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Without knowing what such places are really about, among the least interesting places to live long term might be remote towns in the Great Basin sagebrush vastness like Winnemucca, Nevada or dry creosote bush landscapes in west Texas, or eastern North Dakota, or central Kansas or southwest New Mexico.  And then there are many scary inner city poorer areas of many large urban areas.   In my own region, places like Oakland.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 15
OldKansan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kansas is not so bad. Anything you want is within 1200 miles. The too hot summers are offset by the Too cold winters. The average 14 mph winds keep the air clean, & your grass clippings & leaves in the neighbors yard.

Actually, Kansas has a lot of good people & some pretty country if you know where to look.
 Post Number: 16
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any large metropolitan area. Large metropolitan areas a long way from any mountains would be intollerable! Chicago, Houston, and Miami come to mind.
 Post Number: 17
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too will not be found any further south than Maryland, I simply can't take the heat.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 18
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really have a disdain for both Houston and Dallas.  However even in these two cities I can find something to do if hard pressed.

I didn't exactly like Kuwait. Iraq either for that matter, though there are some pretty places.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 19
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My in-laws are in southwest Minnesota, and I went to university in northwest Iowa ... and I've also driven all over North & South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, northwest Indiana, Wisconsin, and and some of Illinois. Maybe I could live in northern Minnesota or Wisconsin - if I had to. The rest of those states - no way.  

If I had to pick a specific place that I was particularly unimpressed with? Northwest Indiana by a landslide.

Any big city (over 200,000 pop) would also be on my avoid list.

Any place more than an hour from mountains would be something I would avoid. Come to think of it, if those mountains didn't have grizzlies still roaming there, then I'd avoid those also - it's just not wilderness to me without the 'A' list species.

It would be tough to move from northern British Columbia ... I think only the Yukon or Alaska would appeal to me.  :cool:

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 20
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rawlins, WY

Walsenburg, CO

Albuquerque, NM.

I drive through Rawlins on occasion, shopped in Walsenburg, and lived in Burque. Don't get me started.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 21
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like diverse landscapes and elevations - so no grand expanse of flat land for me.  I also like a nice mix of weather - sun shine, with some rain/snow - but not so much that you're buried in it half the year.  I'm not a fan of humidity.  Near public lands is a must - for my career and lifestyle.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 22
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's too many places to list. I will say I amnot particularly fond of where I live now (Colorado Springs) but have a great job here and will never leave it (unless I am fired  :p ). At least I do have access to great mountains and hiking.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 23
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 08 2012, 3:26 pm)

You aren't kidding!!  Did a lot of travel to the mid-south a couple years ago.  I swear they called any giant bug a waterbug.  We weren't even near water, lol!!

But add me to the list of folks who would generally avoid the south.  I'm a four season kinda guy, and really love my New England fall and winter season.

Edit: Actually there's one state I would move to in the south.  Louisiana, man I just loved that place.  The people, the food, the Cajun culture in general just appeals to me (perhaps because of my heritage).  The heat and humidity are brutal though...

You are good then cause there are almost no bugs in Louisiana.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 24
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me, any state not represented by an SEC football team. I just love the south. Heat, humidity, bugs and all. And especially the people. Best people on earth.
Nothing against anywhere else. I've met people I love all over the world. If Colorado wasn't so cold and didn't have that white stuff it would be on my list of places to be. Dig me some Colorado and Colorado people.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 25
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anywhere I'm immobilized.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 26
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any city, or suburb thereof, where I have to deal with interstate traffic and "rush hour" (morning/evening).

California. You have 3 problems:
1. The land your house is on will break off in to the ocean
2. Your house will catch on fire (along with the rest of the area)
3. Your house will slide down a hill.

I have family in Anaheim Hills, CA, and the last 2 have very nearly happened already. We're still waiting for the land to start shifting in to the ocean... They lost 2 neighbors' houses in mud slides last year.

Hmm where else... The middle of no where, unless there was a way to sustain myself there.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 27
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 08 2012, 2:57 pm)
A big city.

A big, filthy, stinky, smog-filled, noisy city, full of rude people and bad drivers texting with one hand about another bad driver who just cut them off while giving the finger to the alleged miscreant.
 Post Number: 28
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't think of any place I would not want to live...the alternative seems a lot less attractive.
 Post Number: 29
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Nov. 08 2012, 1:41 pm)
Arizona

Wow

That is a horrible choice

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 30
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 08 2012, 6:05 pm)

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 08 2012, 3:26 pm)

[Me too.  And the bugs - big, Southern bugs freak me out!  They might give them pretty names like 'palmetto bugs', but they are giant flying cockroaches.  So, yeah, the South is out for me.

You are good then cause there are almost no bugs in Louisiana.

Not a one.  :p

And there's really no humidity to speak of, either.  :D

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
83 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 1:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where Don't You Want to Live...?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions