2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?, When your told to go!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
quietone Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my mind the morning took shape with these thought getting in the way of my solitude,,, Long trip for this winter is now being combined with pressing chores around the house. Finally going to attack the southern exposure (exterior) of my home with a new scheme of glass and wood. Got the punch list ingrained ..several anxious moments upon which lies the overall ecstatic appeal went into the decision process of this undertaking yet.. stop,  a  recent conversation has gotten in the way. Thanksgiving is about to find my home filled with several loved ones (this year the count is something like more than eleven with a few "off the road" guest and friends)nevertheless  I still want to venture out and sleep in the wild so lasts Sunday morn while enjoying coffee and the paper I  wondered aloud how she would feel if I were to leave on Turkey day for the southern Appalachians.... you know- miss the partial family gather and that way I would be able to squeeze out an extra day backpacking.  Never would consider this but the extra day backpacking has a  certain if not given appeal to me. She didn't have a problem with this??????????? In fact , she seemed all for it.  What does that mean? Should I stay or should I go? Lord knows that the dinner will truly be missed. The brief visits with the children and their children yeah that too but time being what it is well getting out for a bit has a hold on my heart... Kinda tugging rather gently within my sub-conscious.   I certainly should know better than to hurt her feelings and yet one would have thought that I would have taken all that into consideration BEFORE I opened my mouth .  What would you do?

PS: I seldom post but while I am at it ... What do you call a Frog that has stopped in a No Parking Zone?
Towed.. (toad)

--------------
Find your path and share it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any time one gets the approval of a loved one to be gone for a short time, we should take it.  The fact that you will miss a dinner with family is to be considered, but she must have thought about that also, before telling you to go.

Those of us with similar love for the outdoors can understand your need to sleep in the woods.  Family obligations sometimes have to be balanced with our sanity.  

As long as it is plain that your spouse meant what she said, I say start planning your road trip.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd go to the Thanksgiving dinner. Three reasons...the extra time out would be felt feeling guilty (already sunk in) and...One day of compromise is no big deal. Relationships are more important in my mind.

That is just my opinion.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you should do what you want to do and think is right, instead of asking us for advice.  There's no way we can know the particulars of your situation.

PS.  When your wife says "Go" it doesn't always mean she wants you to "Go".
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mean? That she quietly noted you'd rather dump all the cleanup of an eleven person plus gathering on her to grab for yourself an extra day out playing without her.

And was dually appreciative of getting fair notice of her priority in your life. Accurate information always being a useful thing.

Hope you have a nice travel.
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be careful. This is fraught with danger.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 09 2012, 10:11 am)
Mean? That she quietly noted you'd rather dump all the cleanup of an eleven person plus gathering on her to grab for yourself an extra day out playing without her.

And was dually appreciative of getting fair notice of her priority in your life. Accurate information always being a useful thing.

Hope you have a nice travel.

Ouch....that hurt.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh I don't know, as Lamebeaver notes it so much depends on their overall relationship. My point can cover the spectrum from shrugged off to savored and fermented until that last bit of the breakup speech where all the really good bile is spewed.. and most everything in between.

But there's no ducking that bailing from the responsibilities of an event they're hosting is a clear statement of priorities.
 Post Number: 9
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fake your own kidnapping. Leave a ransom note in the turkey.

I would go. Thanksgiving is a trumped up holiday anyways. Can't you see your family any other normal time of the year?
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with Tigger.  First, I don't care what your wife said, she's going to feel weird when everyone starts asking where you are on TG.  Drive to the TH after the dishes are done, but not before.

Second--time with family is precious.  You've said some are from away.  Unless you have reasons why you'd rather not see the kinsfolk, do it now.  While you can, because you never know.

Just my opinion, of course ;)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Skip out on turkey and all the fixins?  Are you nuts?  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday :)  The only time I skipped it for an outdoors adventure was when I was single and in a state with no relatives or close friends anywhere nearby.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 12
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here, maybe this mathmatical formula from a recent class on, "Understanding Women 101" will help you:

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I do this often.  Sometimes we take trips together, sometimes separately.  The key is coming back to each other.

Even when I'm by myself I notice things that she may like or be able to do (severely limited by back/nerve/spine issues).  And, once in a while, she goes with me on a smaller, followup trip, and enjoys it.
 Post Number: 14
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You don't dump a houseful of holiday guests on a woman and not expect negative, unpleasant life complications.
 Post Number: 15
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotta agree with some of the others: Honor your holiday obligations and later in the evening take off or better yet, start the next morning. Next year plan to be away.
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who's family?  Can't they help clean up?  Won't he be there to do the cleaning before the guests arrive?  Didn't she get an input from the start?  She said it was OK, so I would have to take her at her word.  Playing games is not the adult way to communicate.  If she really wanted him to stay home, she had that opportunity.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm struggling to remember, but wasn't it you who had some serious life threatening illness, cancer? If I remember that right then I think you have had some time and reason for judging your priorites. Sometimes compromise just isn't what is needed and other times you have to put others first.  I wish you a great Thanksgiving and think only you know what you have in your life that you are most thankful for. Honor that.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 18
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would stay with my family on Thanksgiving..even if she said go. Obviously you know it would be wrong to not be there, as you already feel guilty and you are posting this question on this forum, unsure of what to do. Your heart is telling you to stay and be with your children and grand children..you will be missing everyone on thanksgiving night as you lay in your tent in the quiet evening. leave to go early the next morning..heck even if you only get out for a short one nighter..never pass up time with your kids.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 19
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 09 2012, 5:42 pm)
You don't dump a houseful of holiday guests on a woman and not expect negative, unpleasant life complications.

I figure that despite having asked, he knows the right answer.   :laugh:

Unless, of course, she means it, in which case he should really be worried.   :laugh:

Seriously, though, quietone is the only one besides her with any idea how she really feels about it, so I wouldn't guess.  However, despite being the king of slinking off to do my own thing, this isn't an event I would bail out on.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 09 2012, 6:31 pm)

Unless, of course, she means it, in which case he should really be worried.   :laugh:

Seriously, though, quietone is the only one besides her with any idea how she really feels about it, so I wouldn't guess.  However, despite being the king of slinking off to do my own thing, this isn't an event I would bail out on.

I'm thinking that if he's all aghast at her having said go that it's completely out of character for her.

I'm thinking it's a dare.

Dibs on his gear!
 Post Number: 21
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 09 2012, 4:21 pm)

I'm thinking that if he's all aghast at her having said go that it's completely out of character for her.

Dibs on his gear!

So you're thinking he'll be gone, alright. . . And she'll be on here asking for some folks with shovels and lime?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 09 2012, 10:06 pm)

(spindle @ Nov. 09 2012, 4:21 pm)

Dibs on his gear!

So you're thinking he'll be gone, alright. . . And she'll be on here asking for some folks with shovels and lime?

We never refuse an honest request for hole digging.

Especially if there's tequila.  And there always is.
 Post Number: 23
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds so sweet, but then again.  CityWoman would happily let be take off when ever I feel like doing so. Then again there are times I would want to go but there is just way to much hidden and overt baggage attached to the outing.   I always pass on those times, I think CW knows that, hence the open invitation to go as I feel. Only you truly know your reality and what you should or will do. I would just enjoy the company for what it is.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 24
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(quietone @ Nov. 09 2012, 12:44 pm)
What would you do?

Find an appropriate moment and double-check to make sure she meant it. Make sure knows that you're aware of all the work involved and willing to stay if she wants you to. If she really doesn't mind if you take off, you better darn well make sure you've done everything possible to help before you duck out that door. Then go and have fun and don't second-guess it.
 Post Number: 25
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 2:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HAHAHAA..go..don't go...go..don't go. No, really, you should go..you better not go. Just go..do not go. Ok ok ok..honestly, you should go. I don't think its a good idea to go. Go, don't go. Everything will be fine if she told u to go. If you do go, its over. I would go. I wouldn't go.....so u asked..whadda ya think? Did you really think that asking that question would help you decide? Has it helped? I'm dying to know what you decide to do.  You had to expect every answer you got on this post...soooooo..what will it be????? To go or not to go?

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 26
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GottaGamble, you forgot about the dibs on his gear from folks here! :laugh:

I'm thinking that she'll have to kick him out the back door and help load up his gear to convince him that he should go...
 Post Number: 27
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I say do what you wish as she said yes.  At this point, it's about what's most important TO YOU at this point in time.

Of course I should point out that I've traditionally just broken up with women who can't seem to say what they mean and be honest about it.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 28
quietone Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well it seems the ulterior motive came out yesterday during a shed raising for the Hotrod. The invitation for one family to come was actually a self invitation by said step daughter to have Thanksgiving at  Mamabear's home.  

The other step daughter I feel is concerned with the taking advantage of Mamabears love. She  is wanting ......seems like something one might read in a "dear abbey" .

No matter what all the subterfuge is I came to the realization that my wife has once again shown me the value of true love. Her immediate and emphatic answer has given me support but also gives rise to the thought of how we too click.  She has known for sometime the nature of my primordial timing in life and the urge to answer the call each and every early winter.  I really feel like the trip is not a bother but an easy for her. The mere fact that I still want to get out is evidence enough  that all is indeed well within and that no matter how this "other stuff" turns out I may leave with her blessing!! How cool is that.  (spindle- dibs on his gear-that was funny).

--------------
Find your path and share it.
 Post Number: 29
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 5:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(quietone @ Nov. 11 2012, 2:34 am)
Well it seems the ulterior motive came out yesterday during a shed raising for the Hotrod. The invitation for one family to come was actually a self invitation by said step daughter to have Thanksgiving at  Mamabear's home.  

The other step daughter I feel is concerned with the taking advantage of Mamabears love. She  is wanting ......seems like something one might read in a "dear abbey" .

No matter what all the subterfuge is I came to the realization that my wife has once again shown me the value of true love. Her immediate and emphatic answer has given me support but also gives rise to the thought of how we too click.  She has known for sometime the nature of my primordial timing in life and the urge to answer the call each and every early winter.  I really feel like the trip is not a bother but an easy for her. The mere fact that I still want to get out is evidence enough  that all is indeed well within and that no matter how this "other stuff" turns out I may leave with her blessing!! How cool is that.  (spindle- dibs on his gear-that was funny).

And that's what healthy relationships are made of.  Good for you!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 30
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If my wife had saidthis I know it would have been sarcastically said. Meaning I better stay or else there will be hell to pay later.
31 replies since Nov. 09 2012, 12:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions