2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Can You Survive?, When Disaster Strikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 1:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 09 2012, 10:29 pm)
Since we are more likely to be hit with an earthquake--no warning--

Yeah there are many different types of disaster scenarios. Might be different if we are talking about a blizzard vs a hurricane, for example. I mean like a woodstove would be super useful in a blizzard, but wouldn’t do you much good if its in the lower level in a flood.

(City Man @ Nov. 09 2012, 11:00 pm)
Good to go, not comfortably and I just do not want to, thank you.

I might be sick in the head but I love it hehehe! Its like backpacking, I love the times that just 'surviving' takes some work. Makes life a bit more exciting.

My wife and son might disagree with me though. Speaking of which...

(City Man @ Nov. 10 2012, 12:34 pm)
If all else fails, City Woman, 102 pounds, a good 30 to 50+ pounds of good meat, again some good eating.

Thats some funny stuff.  :D
I got you waaay beat on that one though.  ???

We are pretty prepared. As long as I was home, and had some advance warning.

Gas would be the hardest thing... I have an 80mi round trip and my truck would go through about 5-6 gallons each day. Plus the generator. It wouldn’t be hard to ration the generator though and only run it for a couple hours each or every other day, heat up the water tank, take showers and wash stuff, fill up water reservoirs, cool the freezer back down etc. We have a 500gal propane tank but no conversion or anything for a generator yet. Would like to plumb the 500gal into the grill to, I pretty much cook almost everything on the grill anyhow. Would definitely beat the woodstove in the summer, but the woodstove would work well for heating/cooking fall through spring (we have 3 wood stoves actually). Garden, greenhouse, all sorts of homemade canned veggies (and meat to, I hunt deer).

Probably my biggest PITA thing would be work. I work for the power company, and in a disaster, or even just a predicted 4" of snow, they sequester us here downtown. So I'd be cut off from home and not sure how wife and son would fare if it happened to be a long period of time (but I suppose they could move in with family). I know our long term disaster/pandemic plan involves grouping us into 3 different teams on a 3 week rotation (2 on, 1 off) or something like that. So it would be a couple weeks between going home. That would really suck. If it was winter I'd have to drain all the plumbing to prevent the pipes from freezing and breaking, and probably everything in the freezer would spoil unless it was cold enough outside to stash frozen stuff.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not until I get me one of these!

http://www.alaskastructures.com/products/camps/?id=40

Best. Backpacker.com  Advert. Ever.
 Post Number: 33
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Nov. 09 2012, 4:00 pm)
Didn't we just have a thread like this?

We did.  ;)

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 34
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have quite a bit of stuff laying around, since if there was a big earthquake or emergency Mark is responsible for getting power back on to a bunch of commercial clients.

Actually, a big earthquake would be great for us...lots of work!!

We'd be fine for about 3 months - and if the power was out that long, it probably means time to relocate! We both carry packs in our cars with enough stuff to walk home with if we happened to get caught on the wrong side of a broken freeway or bridge.

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 35
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bad knees...here is the link...

http://www.propane-generators.com/adapter_installation.htm

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 36
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 13 2012, 3:42 pm)

Got it saved.  Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 37
Kevins89notch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in central FL.  I would simply leave.  I'm single and currently renting.  If a major hurricane was on it's way, I would fill up my civic's gas tank, and maybe an extra portable gas can.  Being inland, it doesn't get to bad here, mostly just downed trees, and flooded streets.  I could go without power for a couple days and be fine.  If somehow it was a super-mega IT'S GOING TO DESTROY FLORIDA type hurricane, as said, I would leave.  My tank, plus an extra two gallons can easily get me into Georgia, probably even Atlanta.  I could easily keep going to my parents house a couple more states north, or I know a couple people in Georgia/South Carolina where I could stay for a week or two.
 Post Number: 38
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 09 2012, 4:01 pm)
We didn't use a generator.

We're not generator people, either.  It gets pretty hot after a hurricane here, usually, so no need for any heat sources - just fans, if any.  

But to answer the OP, *IF* my house didn't flood or get washed away or have a tree through the middle, I could survive a while after a disaster.  I know a lot of people who have been prepared for hurricanes only to have their supplies destroyed.  There's not much you can do when that happens.

Also, I agree with your comment on water.  While my water has never stopped, my sister didn't have running water for 3 weeks after Hurricane Katrina.  (Or a roof without holes, or phones, or electricity for more than a month.)  When the trees toppled, they destroyed the water pipes on her property.  No pipes - no water.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 39
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 09 2012, 6:10 pm)
I'm mainly worried about storing it without breaking the mantle or drying out the wick.

We always kept our kerosene lanterns on the mantel over the fireplace.  :D

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 40
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It probably depends on the type of disaster.

Comet strike... probably not. Major flood would be difficult due to displacement (canned goods aren't worth much when underwater). Wind damage... not a big deal. Tornado... unlikely, but would be difficult if my canned goods were blown into the next county. Earthquake... VERY unlikely. Blizzard... in Syracuse we call those "Wednesday".

We live on a creek, so water isn't a problem (unless the water IS the problem). Frozen goods can go outside during a winter power outage, submerged in a waterproof container in the creek during summer (not best, but will last longer than if out in 95-degree heat). We have a garden, I could fish, and I'm good with wild edibles. I'm willing to eat squirrel, etc in a worst-case scenario.

Someone else already mentioned that it isn't necessary to go at it alone... pooling community resources can go a long way.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 41
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Nov. 09 2012, 5:59 pm)
We also have a backup supply of 30 pounds of wheat, 25 pounds of pinto beans and 25 pounds of rice.  Lots of meat in the freezer, but much would be wasted.  

I'm sure there are whole forums devoted to this, but just curious:  do you have to refresh your supply or will these things last forever?  I thought wheat might grow mold or something.

And here's a really dumb chick question.

I have a gas fireplace.  I'm assuming I can use it for heat if the power goes out, right?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 42
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More or less, we have a well, a generator, a woodstove, a garden, chickens, a hunting rifle, compound bow, a comprehensive survival book, good camping/hiking equipment, some stored food, etc.  

Not sure whether or not to talk about it, but maybe i should... both my wife and i have had multiple dreams about powerful Solar event(s) happening, where we get such a strong flare(s) directly our way that the sky turns red (aurora borealis effect on steroids) and people feel sick/disoriented, the earth really heats up, and electricity is shut down.  

We have had dreams in the past that have happened later/come true, so we kind of take it seriously since both of us had similar and repeating dreams about it.  If it is precognitive, i don't think it will happen this year, just a gut feeling that it will be another year or two.

Hopefully it is just symbolic and personal in nature.  However, if it's not and you start to see red skies even near the equatorial regions, i highly recommend finding a cave to ride these Solar storms out--they provide coolness, increased radiation protection, and generally are away from cities/lots of people.  If the electrical grids go, then many people will start to act very differently out of fear.   I don't want to be near any major towns or cities if something like this happened.   My wife's latest dream about it, we had a couple of weeks of forewarning and were out in the country scouting out and exploring caves to find a good "temporary home".
 Post Number: 43
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Nov. 14 2012, 1:21 pm)

We also have a backup supply of 30 pounds of wheat, 25 pounds of pinto beans and 25 pounds of rice.  Lots of meat in the freezer, but much would be wasted.  

I'm sure there are whole forums devoted to this, but just curious:  do you have to refresh your supply or will these things last forever?  I thought wheat might grow mold or something.

I have a gas fireplace.  I'm assuming I can use it for heat if the power goes out, right?

Here's the typical guy answer: Hey lady, it depends.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 44
3-gun. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Nov. 09 2012, 3:53 pm)
First rule of disaster prep: don't tell anyone what you have and where it is ;-)

1st post nails it.
I knew i liked her. :D

--------------
"But the new Admin. is a Master in IDPA"
"MASTER in IDPA..."
"is like C Class in IPSC!"
 Post Number: 45
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The people on this forum go into the wilderness for fun days, weeks some even months at a time.
Disasters are child's play for us.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 46
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 47
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gimme a Harley and a 10 foot paracord bracelet and I can survive anything.
 Post Number: 48
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 14 2012, 9:41 am)
submerged in a waterproof container in the creek during summer

That would be nice!  Here, the summer water temps are well into the 80s.

I like your water comment, too: like you, I live on the Mississippi River and there are plenty of other water sources around, so unless water is the problem, it's not a problem.  I wouldn't *want* to drink Mississippi River water, but in an emergency I would.

--------------
 Post Number: 49
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 14 2012, 3:01 pm)
Gimme a Harley and a 10 foot paracord bracelet and I can survive anything.

:laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 50
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:26 pm)

Here's the typical guy answer: Hey lady, it depends.

Good answer!

My propane heater is pretty similar to a gas fireplace, although it may be better optimized to push heat into the room (taking advantage of thermal expansion of the air and convection).  If you look, you can probably find a BTU rating.

If you have a steady supply of gas, it doesn't take much oomph to stave off utter misery unless the temps really drop. If, for example, you're talking about winter in Iowa, one gas fireplace is probably not enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

So, yeah, it depends.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 51
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gas ovens can also heat an area with surprising effeciency.

Problem with a gas fireplace is that, without electricity, the blower won't work. So you end up sending most of the heat up the chimney.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 52
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

CAUTION...

Gas flames, such as from a gas stove/oven or fireplace can heat a dwelling up to a point. Remember, these units are rarely vented to the exterior. You can keep them burning for a few hours (envision cooking a turkey), but you COULD be overcome from carbon monoxide or by oxygen depletion. That equals DEATH...!!

Installing properly functioning carbon monoxide detectors and oxygen depletion sensors would be prudent for whatever your uses are for those items.
 Post Number: 53

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:47 am)
CAUTION...

Gas flames, such as from a gas stove/oven or fireplace can heat a dwelling up to a point. Remember, these units are rarely vented to the exterior. You can keep them burning for a few hours (envision cooking a turkey), but you COULD be overcome from carbon monoxide or by oxygen depletion. That equals DEATH...!!

Installing properly functioning carbon monoxide detectors and oxygen depletion sensors would be prudent for whatever your uses are for those items.

I'm not sure about gas fireplaces, but I haven't seen a propane heater intended for indoor use that doesn't have an automatic cutoff based on a built-in oxygen sensor.

Of course I always have a carbon monoxide detector nearby.
 Post Number: 54
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Nov. 14 2012, 11:21 am)

It's always a good idea to use and rotate food storage items, but wheat, white rice, and beans will store for 30 years or more, if airtight and stored in a dark, fairly cool place.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 55
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did ok in the Loma Prieta Earthquake that took out our power and phones etc...I have all kinds of stuff but oddly enough,  the most convenient thing was just to pull out my little canister backpacking stove and cook 1 pan meals and water for drinks on that! :)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 56
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 09 2012, 7:22 pm)

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 09 2012, 7:20 pm)
wow..those are a pretty penny. Nice investment big_load.

You can find them cheaper if you look around.

You can them pretty cheap in antique stores if you're willing to scrounge around for the right parts to rehab one into something functional.

Are you hip to Lehman's? All things non electric. They have Aladdin seconds on sale often, usually with flaws in the glass.

https://www.lehmans.com/?partne....dC2wAAQ

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 57

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:34 pm)
Are you hip to Lehman's? All things non electric. They have Aladdin seconds on sale often, usually with flaws in the glass.

Yeah, my mom loves that place.  :)
 Post Number: 58
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 3:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL. South Chicago, 1968 ??? Blizzard. Broke into a drug store and stayed for 2 daze.Just a teen.
Virginia. Ice storm from Hell. 3 daze in lockdown.1980 ?
Virginia. Flood 1983 ?? Retrieved guns out of a gun shop with a mask, snorkel, flippers and canoe.20 feet deep in downtown Roanoke. forest fire 1984-5???--- we all went after it ( Catawba mountain)
Hurricane Hugo 1989. Drunk in ST Croix. 20 hours at 8 zillion MPH. Took a Rasta owned dope boat to the airport-St Thomas the next day. $500 for the ride there.
Hurricane Andrew 1992 ( aug 23 to be precise) 37 days no power or city water.
Various other mini hurricanes. Gotta love diesel gensets and bigazz buried fuel tanks.
Sept 2012 7.6 quake followed by a 6.? something a couple of weeks later.Next up ? Dunno. I lack a tsunami(too much elevation) but I can see 4 semi-live volcanoes from my water tank.
BRING IT !!!
Disasters keep things interesting.Darwin clarified the outcomes ( see Faux Snooz"Sandy")

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 59
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're right.  There are whole forums dedicated to preparedness and survival.  Like most forums, you'll find people of all sorts ....

To answer your questions:

You can store rice, beans and other dry goods in vacuum-sealed (using oxygen absorbing packets) Mylar bags for years at a time.  We place the Mylar bags in five gallon buckets that we get from the Sam's Club bakery for free to make storage easier.  You can seal the bags with a metal carpenter's level and a clothes iron or you can purchase a sealer for $20-30.  Be sure to double seal the bags if you use a level.

Your gas fireplace can heat a good portion of your home.  We have a very open floor plan and can heat most of the main level of our one-story home with our direct vent gas fireplace.  Keep in mind, however, that the electric fan won't work in the event of a loss of electricity.  Our biggest problem is that the ceiling in our great room is quite high.  We lose a lot of heat as it quickly rises to the ceiling.  Adding insulation to your attic will help avoid some of that loss.  Most homes are poorly insulated.

Generators.  I'm not a big fan.  They make lots of noise that attracts nosy neighbors (and others).  As has been mentioned, they consume lots of fuel (regardless of fuel type).  A small solar setup will cost about the same (maybe a little more), not require fuel and not make any noise.  Just make sure you have a good southern exposure.

Water for flushing.  First, we're all backpackers here (ostensibly).  We should all know how to go in the woods.  If you have a back yard, follow the same procedure as if you were in the woods.  If you absolutely have to go in the toilet, you can fill bathtubs with water prior to some emergencies.  Your water heater contains several gallons of water.  Throw away toilet paper rather than flushing it and make sure any excrement you flush is in small pieces.  No need to flush every time you pee.

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
58 replies since Nov. 09 2012, 3:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Can You Survive?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions