2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: The Truth About Tigger, The man is bat-$-/1 crazy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 7:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy to report that Tigger made it to SF in one piece.  Whether he and the teen make it back to Oregon. . .

Naturally, that simple plan had a few. . . Modifications.  For one thing, it took them 12hours to get here.  Then there was that little matter of "a few wreaths and a bunch of ornaments."  

I showed up around one and by shortly after three we had everything jammed onto the rather inadequate-looking 19' trailer.  

Strapping the tarps over it was. . . Interesting.  You'd think a guy who camped under tarps all the time could. . . never mind.  He may have said something inappropriate to me, but it might just have been about getting the hook on the tie-down into the grommet and pulling it tight.  

Tigger is going to have the most amazingly decorated house in all of Oregon, since he now has enough decorations to bedeck Ghiridelli Square.  He'll post a picture of the load when he gets home. . . Maybe after some sleep.

Send some good thoughts to him and the kid tonight.  I tried to get them to stay the night and sleep before driving back, but no go.  So root for no flats, no sleeping behind the wheel, and good judgment while the kid is driving and Tigger is asleep.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He seemed to be a bit cranky latley.  Gotta love a good quest.  Perhaps this will cheer him up.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unbalanced applies to more than the trailer load.  :D  While I like the guy well enough, he has some odd ideas about what is normal, or even good, thinking.  I do wish him a safe journey, and and cannot wait until he posts pictures of what he does with all of that Xmas stuff.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 10 2012, 4:53 pm)
He seemed to be a bit cranky latley.  Gotta love a good quest.  Perhaps this will cheer him up.

He was pretty dang cheered up . We had a good time.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny thing is that Tig's Christmas videos and pictures before this adventure blew Clark Griswald's crud away.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great TR Rebecca! Where are your pics! :D
 Post Number: 8
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger has the only pic.  I forgot my camera, and we were working!  He just took one shot of the rig when we finished.  Look for it after he sleeps tomorrow.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 10 2012, 8:43 pm)
Tigger has the only pic.  I forgot my camera, and we were working!  He just took one shot of the rig when we finished.  Look for it after he sleeps tomorrow.

I know a guy.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Holy cow!  Where was he?  The load looks tight so far.  Maybe they really will make it.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 10 2012, 7:39 pm)
Holy cow!  Where was he?  The load looks tight so far.  Maybe they really will make it.

I missed the prep for this meeting.  How did this thing come about? I take it that trailer is full of holiday decorations.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 12
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was here:  http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=852107219;t=9991161335

I sent him a PM to call me, which he did, and I went down and lent a hand.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 10 2012, 7:04 pm)
It was here:  
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1161335

I sent him a PM to call me, which he did, and I went down and lent a hand.

Fixed the link I think

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 14
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Nov. 10 2012, 9:58 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 10 2012, 7:39 pm)

I missed the prep for this meeting.  How did this thing come about? I take it that trailer is full of holiday decorations.

A young man with a dream of a Christmas "Bigger than life" and a heart to match transports San Francisco's famed Giradelli Square decorations in a tiny trailer back to his home town. Local author Rebecca was on hand to assist Daryl and his son with the loading of the ancient Giradelli Square Decorations onto a trailer upteen times larger than their vehicle, and reports that they were in such a hurry to return home, that they could not take the time for a lunch break on the famed Fisherman's Wharf,

Rumor has it that the proceeds from the guestimate closest to the December 2012 electricity bill at Tigger's house will be donated to the winners choice of Tigger's charitable endeavors. Please follow this thread for additional details!!!

JMHO,
Judy ;-)

Thanks to anyone correcting my mis-spelled words and editing this text!
 Post Number: 15
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good one, DF!

And thanks, Echo.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the years, Tigger has reduced the power consumed by his decorations by various means, including led lights.  These new additions might push him over the limit, but I think many of them are headed to other locales.  His house cannot fit many of these since his decorations already take up most of his home.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!! Thanks for posting the link to the other thread, I missed it. I can't wait to set them all set up...

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 18
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, he was talking about needing to upgrade his power system. . .

These may actually be a bit of a problem, as the integral lights are not LED.   Think that's why GS was getting rid of them.  He will certainly have his whole house wrapped in evergreen garlands, and tied up with a mile of ribbon.  That six-foot wreath is going to make it hard to open the door, though.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe his dream is to be on Extreme Christmas Decorating on HGTV.
 Post Number: 20
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That might work.  We had to decide we were losers on "Shipping Wars."  (Is there really such a show?)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 21
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Made it back home about two hours ago (I did sleep twice - 1.5 hours and then another half hour later). Quite the adventure getting home. After trying to find a place to park in downtown SF with the 19 ft. trailer so I could get cash for the toll booth (didn't realize they don't take cards on the way in) was interesting. The stop we took was after we crossed the bay bridge. It was the first comfortable place I found to see if the load was still holding together. Rebecca's tarp tying skills were incredible. We barely had to snug the straps hardly at all even after things settled.

We did have a few excitements on the way home. Apparently on the way out, somehow the running lights were not functioning. We stopped at a Travel store and bought a couple flashlights with handles that glowed red and duct taped them to the bumper. We soon found out that they also "go to sleep" every hour so we had built-in break time for the rest of the trip. The police officer who also noticed my running lights turn off didn't write us a ticket but wanted to make sure we weren't taking a load of marijuana back with us to Oregon...

After deciding to take the long route home (was NOT going to drive five hours straight on the ice again) so that we could shorten the "strenuous" section of the trip, My Service Engine Soon light went on. The last five hours were spent praying that the truck would make it home in one piece and feeling guilty for overworking it.

Thank you SO MUCH Rebecca for all the help. My brain was mush after the long drive and your expertise and strength were a prayer answered in a time of need.

I feel very overwhelmed with the amount of decorations we got. I have already signed up several non-profits for decoration and am giving some to family and friends. Pictures to follow....after a nap.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 22
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say Tigger is nuttier than a fruitcake, but since fruitcake is associated with Christmas, he'd probably get a kick out of that.....

Hey, everyone needs a hobby.
 Post Number: 23
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger!  Glad you made it home safely.  I'm sorry I didn't think about the bridge toll--been using the auto-pay thing too long.  I'd have sworn they took credit cards, though.  

Not sure I deserve al, the credit you give me, but glad I could help, and glad to have met the Crazy Holiday Man of Oregon :D

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a great adventure! Can't wait to see the house pics!!!!!

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 25
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First day of decorating with the new stuff. This is so over the top! I have ornaments that are literally the size of basketballs. I am having so much fun. I got the two largest wreaths mounted on the house and lit up after I filled them full of ornaments. The lighting that was on them was a bit intimidating (Looked like they would suck up a circuit each) so I decided to use my own lights instead. I haven't had to tap any new circuits yet but I'll be spending the day tomorrow adding some new plugs from my indoor circuits just to help balance the power. I am shooting for being done decorating in two weeks but I might pull something out of my hat and have it done earlier depending on how many free evenings I get.

Edit: Nevermind about the circuit thing. I just tripped my first circuit. I'll change out the existing ones up to 20 amps...

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Uh huh.  Crazy, I tell you!  :D

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 27
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would love to see his electric bill come January...  :laugh:

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 28
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bend has an electrical rate of nearly 10c a KW hour, and each 20 amp circuit uses about 2 KW without tripping the breaker.  That would say that each circuit would cost him about 20c an hour, and Winter solstice would give him about 6 hours a day between onset of dusk and 10 PM when most folks would shut down their decorations, or $1.20 per circuit, per day.  If his bill has a 30 day time period for that month, we are talking about $36.00 a month per circuit.  Now all we have to do is figure out how many circuits he uses for his decorations and we can calculate how much his power bill will go up.  

--------------

Post Number: 29
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:56 am)
Bend has an electrical rate of nearly 10c a KW hour, and each 20 amp circuit uses about 2 KW without tripping the breaker.  That would say that each circuit would cost him about 20c an hour, and Winter solstice would give him about 6 hours a day between onset of dusk and 10 PM when most folks would shut down their decorations, or $1.20 per circuit, per day.  If his bill has a 30 day time period for that month, we are talking about $36.00 a month per circuit.  Now all we have to do is figure out how many circuits he uses for his decorations and we can calculate how much his power bill will go up.  

When I get done getting it setup, I'll let you know how many circuits I am using and how many amps along with the timing of how long I keep them on. I won't be keeping them on past 9:00 pm till December.

One cool thing about Bend is we have a competition that I will enter this year. The "best" decorated house gets their electric bill paid for the month of December. I normally don't enter contests but this year...I am going to give it a shot. I assume based upon the house so far, I have a solid shot at winning it.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 13 2012, 12:05 pm)

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:56 am)

When I get done getting it setup, I'll let you know how many circuits I am using and how many amps along with the timing of how long I keep them on. I won't be keeping them on past 9:00 pm till December.

One cool thing about Bend is we have a competition that I will enter this year. The "best" decorated house gets their electric bill paid for the month of December. I normally don't enter contests but this year...I am going to give it a shot. I assume based upon the house so far, I have a solid shot at winning it.

From what I have heard it sounds like everyone else is entering for second place. Good luck in the contest. I would tell you to enjoy, but I think that you have that covered.
36 replies since Nov. 10 2012, 7:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: The Truth About Tigger
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions