2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Runners GPS watch, Any advice?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 10:58 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lostsheep has pointed me in a direction I am liking. The Garmin 310xt and a couple of other Garmins.
I want distance and mapping. Speed would be good. I kinda would like a heart monitor but i don't need it.
What else do I need that I don't know I need yet?
I don't need swimming features but biking features would be okay as I have been kinda thinking about getting into that.

Any other advice?

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yah.  Skip the fancy watches and go for a run :D

Only half kidding. A stop watch has always been good enough for me--and for my husband, who can run circles around us both.  Especially if you're just starting out running, you may not want to know how far you've gone.  Seriously.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 11 2012, 9:32 pm)
Yah.  Skip the fancy watches and go for a run :D

Only half kidding. A stop watch has always been good enough for me--and for my husband, who can run circles around us both.  Especially if you're just starting out running, you may not want to know how far you've gone.  Seriously.

I get it.  :D And I actually am pretty good at gauging mileage ran or walked. Sorta. But I think it would be motivational to follow my distance as I travel and I would like to map it later.
You may not believe this but I am a bit obsessive compulsive. (didn't we already have this conversation in Colorado?)

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, I get it :). And new toys can be motivational!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait a minute--you remember conversations we had in CO??!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to Colorado?

--------------
 Post Number: 7
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Polar FT60. There is a GPS thingy to track distance that you can purchase with the FT60's and above.

I have the FT60 I use for cycling. I got Ed the GPS thingy, but he doesn't use it. I'll probably just steal it from him one of these days. ???

I'm not sure if the GPS unit maps, is the only thing. But it does keep track of your pace and distance.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en....T60
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/accessories/G1_GPS_sensor

Another thing, do you have a smart phone? Check out "Track your run". That does map and give you distance. Then if you still want a heart rate monitor, you can just get a basic monitor.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes For tracking there's bunches of GPS apps.
 Post Number: 9
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Garmin Forerunner 205.  I got it because I can program workouts into it.  It's really helpful for me because I tend to zone out during a workout and will forget that I need to do a sprint interval or whatever.

It's also helpful because I can set pace warnings so on days when I'm trying to hold a consistent pace for a specific amount of time, I can have the thing alert me if I'm going too fast or too slow.

And for track workouts, it has an auto-lap function I can set and then later compare my lap splits.

I found the GPS watch's training functions to be the most useful part of it.  If all it did was track my location and spit out a track at the end, I wouldn't care.  I will be using it more this winter/spring as I train for my first half marathon.  my workouts will not be the same every day so the GPS watch will get a lot of use.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 10
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks y'all. I got real busy and I plan to check all those out tonight. More later.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 11 2012, 10:58 am)
Any other advice?

The two A's.

Ace bandages and Alleve.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 12
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 13 2012, 8:36 pm)

(eyebp @ Nov. 11 2012, 10:58 am)
Any other advice?

The two A's.

Ace bandages and Alleve.

Ya. I already have a knee that isn't worth crapping on and I am seeing the orthopedist again next Tuesday for the pinched in my back that won't go away. You only live once, right?

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 13 2012, 9:17 pm)
You only live once, right?

Speak for yourself.  If I can make it to 2045, I'll be immortal.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 13 2012, 9:20 pm)

:D I've hiked with you many times and I don't remember seeing you back down to anything so quit trying to act like the chill fisherman cause nobodys buying it.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Nov. 12 2012, 10:33 am)
Another thing, do you have a smart phone? Check out "Track your run". That does map and give you distance. Then if you still want a heart rate monitor, you can just get a basic monitor.

The more I think about it I may just want real time distance. Mapping would be a plus though.
I have a droid. But the reviews I am reading say the distance/mapping apps are sketchy. Maybe I am just looking at the wrong apps.
I dont really care for a heart monitor right now.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:46 pm)
I have a Garmin Forerunner 205.  I got it because I can program workouts into it.  It's really helpful for me because I tend to zone out during a workout and will forget that I need to do a sprint interval or whatever.

It's also helpful because I can set pace warnings so on days when I'm trying to hold a consistent pace for a specific amount of time, I can have the thing alert me if I'm going too fast or too slow.

And for track workouts, it has an auto-lap function I can set and then later compare my lap splits.

I found the GPS watch's training functions to be the most useful part of it.  If all it did was track my location and spit out a track at the end, I wouldn't care.  I will be using it more this winter/spring as I train for my first half marathon.  my workouts will not be the same every day so the GPS watch will get a lot of use.

I like that. A lot actually. I like being pushed. Push good.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seriously, google Time magazine and 2045.  If we get there, we're golden.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally, I opted for a heart rate watch and used Droid Apps for everything else.  I was already carrying my phone for Pandora tunes, so GPS tracking made sense.  Plus, I liked when my phone went crazy if I skipped a workout :)

I was using Cardio Trainer before I switched to iPhone, haven't installed anything yet on the new phone.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 13 2012, 6:20 pm)

That DNA part was a bit icky though.

Liked the validation of my hoarding thorough archiving though.
 Post Number: 20
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like my Garmin 210, tracks my miles, tells me my pace, you can get it with or without a heart monitor and I'm sure it does a bunch of other thing that I've been to lazy to find out. For just tracking your milage there are phone apps one I know of is Map My Run but I haven't used it yet its on my phone for when I'm walking the dogs. I just keep forgetting its there. Having a heart monitor is handy but you can check your pulse manually and that gives you something to do when your out running. Garmins seem to be kind of a battery hog so you'll need to remember to charge it.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:02 pm)

(TDale @ Nov. 13 2012, 6:20 pm)

That DNA part was a bit icky though.

Liked the validation of my hoarding thorough archiving though.

The whole concept is scary, yet uplifting.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WBrim @ Nov. 14 2012, 9:32 pm)
Garmins seem to be kind of a battery hog so you'll need to remember to charge it.

compared to what? most last longer than a phone.

and check out the fenix...up to 60 hours of tracking on a charge.  though it does not have all the training functions you get in other models.

my Forerunner will last a couple weeks of daily half hour runs before I need to charge it.  but it never gets close because I'm logging my runs every couple of days at most, anyway, and I plug it in for that.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 23
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

After much research I decided that the Garmin 310XT meets my needs and I ordered it from REI.

Thanks for all the help, y'all.

--------------
22 replies since Nov. 11 2012, 10:58 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Runners GPS watch
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions