2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harley riders? riders, What is it wit them< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now I realy haven't got anything against motorcycles in general, other than I consider them death machines, but that's an individual's choice I guess.  However, this past summer, more than ever before, I've noticed that Harley-Davidson riders almost always have to have their machines be as noisy as possible.  They seem to get an inordinate amount of pleasure out of opening up the pipes and making sure that everyone within 3 miles can hear them.  I find this extremely annoying, egotistical, inconsiderate, and even painful on occasion.   I've encountered numberous riders of BMWs and Hondas as well, but they generally seem to be much quiteter and considerate of others - not nearly as noisey.  That may be a generalization, but it's been my expereince.  So why do Harley owners think they have to annouce their presence with the god-awful noice that so often accompanies them?  Just plain rude and a bit childish, IMO.  Any insights? ???

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Safety.  Even if you can't see them, you can hear them.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 12 2012, 12:13 pm)
Safety.  Even if you can't see them, you can hear them.

Ya, I've heard that arguement before.  And while I can't substatiate it, I'd be willing to bet that the accident rate among Harley riders is significantly higher than that among riders of BMWs and Hondas.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some folks just need attention.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where I live it's the 20's somethings on the crotch-rockets who die.  Mostly due to their own stupidity and because motorists don't pay enough attention to their surroundings.
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikejer, I've noticed that too. Plus I always get a kick that they have to wear Harley clothing, yet you never see a Honda or BMW  rider with their logo all on their clothes or a Jeep or Ford guy having to wear  their logos whenever they set foot in a Jeep or Ford.
 Post Number: 7
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, I agree. I really dislike the pipes on Harleys. I don't buy the whole safety thing, either, as most of the Harley riders I see aren't even in the appropriate gear (no helmet, jeans, t-shirts). Don't even get me started on their passengers, also not in appropriate gear.

There is nothing between the rider and passenger and the ground. It sucks when that goes wrong with the gear.
 Post Number: 8
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, you know what they say about guys with a small exhaust pipe?

I think it is a safety thing to an extent. But I believe from read the Google most fatals in CO for example are a result of one or more of: DWI, excess speed(specially on turns)no helmet, cagers fault. I don't think big fat Harley guy with laud exhaust was in the stats.
 Post Number: 9
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although I do not own a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, I owned a few in my 20s. This was back before Harleys became popular for doctors, lawyers, and others to own. Back then Harleys were considered schooters outlaw riders rode.

Part of the appeal of a Harley is the sound of the engine.  I had a '49 panhead that could talk.  Even among my fellow hog riders, that scooter was known for its exceptional sound.  Of course it had custom pipes on it, *bigobnoxiousharleysoundgrins*  On most new Harleys, almost the very first custom modification is to replace the exhaust to something louder.  Of course just like in hotrod cars, a wide open exhaust system generally allows for more power/speed.  

Anyway, none of this has to make sense except to the owner.  I doubt most of the owners are trying to be rude. And as far as childishness goes, well we are all a bit guilty of that in varying degrees.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 12 2012, 1:08 pm)
 I doubt most of the owners are trying to be rude. And as far as childishness goes, well we are all a bit guilty of that in varying degrees.

Rumi

That may be well and good, but when their childishness, lack of conderation and rudeness, intended or not, impose on my space, they cross the line of being responsible.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 12 2012, 10:34 am)

I doubt most of the owners are trying to be rude. And as far as childishness goes, well we are all a bit guilty of that in varying degrees.

Rumi

That may be well and good, but when their childishness, lack of conderation and rudeness, intended or not, impose on my space, they cross the line of being responsible.

On the scale of rudeness and childishness, Harley noise ranks relatively low, IMO.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 12
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This screams "Get off my lawn"

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 13
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have owned many kinds of motorcycles during my short life so far.  I have ridden my motorcycles across the Americas, I do not know, at least ten times so far.  I have even had the fun and privilege of ridding across Europe.  Yes I hate to admit it but I have owned some loud machines, a couple I even made into loud, rude little machines.  The argument of loud pipes for safety is used, but in truth knowing physics and how the Doppler effect works most people know that loud pipes do not save lives, nor does it work in the intended purpose. As RumiDude has mentioned, there is just something about the sound of the V twin engine that touches the inner core of someone’s soul. Then of course it is just an exaggerated inflammation of the inner ego thinking for some reason or another you are just a little more of a man if you have loud pipes.    

On the safety, well I did let my motorcycle take a little nap on the road on the way back from PG, luckily no damage to the motorcycle and I was barely bleeding.  Sorry I thought about taking a picture after someone stopped and helped me pick the bike up off of the pavement. I think for some of us the inherent risk factor is part of the reason we love to ride our motorcycle so much.  When I used to ride with a lot of other people there was not a year that would go by without me attending a friend’s funeral. Not that I have or most people have a death wish, but sad to say some of us fools need that feeling of almost dying in order to truly appreciate that we are alive from time to time.

I no longer have loud pipes, do not care for them, just do not want to offend others and all.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 14
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't mind an after market exhaust that is reasonable, let's say not louder than an 18 wheeler.  I have a problem when a bike with short pipes wakes sleeping babies and sets off car alarms.
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 12 2012, 10:38 am)

(hikerjer @ Nov. 12 2012, 10:34 am)

Rumi

On the scale of rudeness and childishness, Harley noise ranks relatively low, IMO.

Rumi

Except--and I suspect after his recent trip that this is where Jer is coming from--that when those loud motos go past a REAL bike, it's seriously damaging to the hearing of the poor soul.  I've also been badly startled by loud bikes suddenly coming on me (not sure how they do that--if curves in the roads/mountains muffle it, or if they suddenly accelerate or what).  A couple of times it's nearly made me lose control of my bike.  

Plus--loud, fast bikers always seem to leave about the same space for a bicycle as, say, an SUV or even (worst offenders in my experience) a very expensive sports car.  You'd think they'd have a little empathy for other vulnerable folks, but no.

P.S.  in our family, we refer to them as loud, farting motorcycles.  Not sure that's the desired image, but maybe?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(City Man @ Nov. 12 2012, 1:45 pm)
. Then of course it is just an exaggerated inflammation of the inner ego thinking for some reason or another you are just a little more of a man if you have loud pipes.    

Ya,  I always thought it might have something to do with their thinking it somehow enlarges certain parts of their anatomy.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 12 2012, 2:20 pm)
Except--and I suspect after his recent trip that this is where Jer is coming from--that when those loud motos go past a REAL bike, it's seriously damaging to the hearing of the poor soul.

You're a perceptive lady,  Rebecca.  But it goes beyod that. To me it's just plain inconsideration of others to satisfy your own childish whims by makingloud noises.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Nov. 12 2012, 12:22 pm)
Hikejer, I've noticed that too. Plus I always get a kick that they have to wear Harley clothing, yet you never see a Honda or BMW  rider with their logo all on their clothes or a Jeep or Ford guy having to wear  their logos whenever they set foot in a Jeep or Ford.

The Suzuki guys do though. Harley riders seem to gain a lot of identity from looking alike.
 Post Number: 19
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate loud vehicles of any kind - especially in the woods or in a campground :p

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 20
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's all part of the aura of a Harley. Same with hot rods and muscle cars.

Besides, if it's too loud, you're too old. :D  :;):
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Nov. 12 2012, 5:01 pm)
I hate loud vehicles of any kind - especially in the woods or in a campground :p

In North Carolina, when they're not robbing liquor stores they seem to spend a lot of time poking down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The noise carries for miles. It hard to camp in the area and not hear them throughout the day.
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Nov. 12 2012, 2:02 pm)

Oh, hell, I know I'm old.  So turn down the {}#^{} "music," you punk!
:D

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 12 2012, 4:22 pm)

Sheesh!! What a grump butt. I suppose you want me to get off your lawn, too. :D
 Post Number: 24
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 12 2012, 12:20 pm)

And some folks (Harley Riders) really don't care what others may think.
 Post Number: 25
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate it the most when your stuck at the light and they need to keep reving the engine "Hey look at me the dinglberry in need of attention, aren't I cool". Around here a lot (most) of them run straight pipes and don't have to worry about getting a ticket because so many cops have Harleys. Don't get me started on when they take over a town on their pilgrimages to Harley factory towns in Wisconsin.
I hear the Harley museum in Miwaukee is pretty cool and thats from a person I know that wants nothing to do with motorcycles but went there anyways with her boyfriend. I used to ride a lot but prefer bicycles now to motorcycles, it must be old age and a preference for quiet.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 12 2012, 6:00 pm)

That's the problem.
 Post Number: 27
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Nov. 12 2012, 2:36 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 12 2012, 4:22 pm)

Sheesh!! What a grump butt. I suppose you want me to get off your lawn, too. :D

Yeah!  

Wait, I forgot. I don't have a lawn.

Get out of my ceanothus!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 12 2012, 4:00 pm)

Which is why they continue to rev the engines as loudly as possible while idling at a stoplight for minutes at a time.

It's because they want everyone else to see just how much they don't care what other people think.

:D :p

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 29
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, the noise is loud, and like most of you, I don't like the loudness.

I will say about the only time I enjoy it is when I see the Harley folks riding through town doing their Toys for Tots ride. Now that's a fun sight to see, noise and all  :)

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 30
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You never heard my trail bikes.   :cool:

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
199 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 12:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harley riders? riders
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions