2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 7<<123456>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harley riders? riders, What is it wit them< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 12 2012, 5:42 pm)
Wait, I forgot. I don't have a lawn.

Get out of my ceanothus!

Ceanothus. Had to look that one up.  
Thought you were trying to be like my big sister and use a big word to make me think you were calling me names.  ..."MOM!! She called me a archeologist!" ( one of her favorites, actually )

Thanks for the new word.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 12 2012, 12:22 pm)
Where I live it's the 20's somethings on the crotch-rockets who die.  Mostly due to their own stupidity and because motorists don't pay enough attention to their surroundings.

I see them on the turnpike all the time, splitting lanes at 120+ in traffic that's moving 75-85 mph.  You can't blame motorists for that.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 33
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately saw that on the way home tonight, passing traffic on the right shoulder at about 75, worked well until the shoulder narrowed at a curve.  Last I saw of him, he was being loaded on a LifeFlight helicopter.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 34
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Nov. 12 2012, 6:40 pm)

(smokehiker @ Nov. 12 2012, 6:00 pm)

(desert dweller @ Nov. 12 2012, 12:20 pm)
Some folks just need attention.

And some folks (Harley Riders) really don't care what others may think.

That's the problem.

+1

You beat me to it.  That was my thought exactly.
 Post Number: 35
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

QCHIKER

Hikejer, I've noticed that too. Plus I always get a kick that they have to wear Harley clothing, yet you never see a Honda or BMW rider with their logo all on their clothes or a Jeep or Ford guy having to wear their logos whenever they set foot in a Jeep or Ford.

Wait a minute, I happen to have all kinds of Harley clothing, oh almost forgot that I have also owned a Harley on and off going back to the early 70s and a lot of the items were gifts throughout the years.  :laugh: :D

Then lets face it, depending on our hobbies a good amount of people like to display there interests in one way or another.  Then we have the old - Calvin pissing on a FORD emblem decal or Calvin pissing on the Chevy emblem decal being proudly displayed on the back window of some FORD and Chevy trucks.  

I think that a lot of good people like to display their interests to others with a certain amount of pride, be it true pride or a false pride. Then unfortunately there are all to many people who like to put down other peoples interests in order to convince themselves that their toys are better then your toys. Who’s to say? “Comme ci, comme ca”

HighGravity

In North Carolina, when they're not robbing liquor stores they seem to spend a lot of time poking down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The noise carries for miles. It hard to camp in the area and not hear them throughout the day.

Unfortunately or fortunately for you, you happen to live in an area that is a Mecca sort of speaking for cursing through some wonderful scenery.

Woodswoman

I will say about the only time I enjoy it is when I see the Harley folks riding through town doing their Toys for Tots ride. Now that's a fun sight to see, noise and all

Do a couple every year, in fact you have reminded me to give a couple of friends a call to see which ones we will be doing this year. :D

TDale

You never heard my trail bikes.

What kind of bike do you have, I have a little TW200, sure is a lot of fun.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 36
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(City Man @ Nov. 12 2012, 8:59 pm)
TDale

You never heard my trail bikes.

What kind of bike do you have, I have a little TW200, sure is a lot of fun.

Having nearly killed myself three times, I'm no longer allowed on motorcycles...by myself.

I had, or rode regularly, a suzuki 200, a suzuki 250 trials bike that would stand straight up if mishandled, and a very tall honda 360.

All three tried to kill me so I quit.  What finally convinced me was landing on my face and grinding the faceshield of my full coverage helmet...opaque.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 37
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is this a seriopus problem?  Naw, just a pet peeve of a few. Most Harley riders are respectable people with respectable jobs enjoying a respectable hobby.  That on a very few occassions a few people have their sensibilities slightly tried does not mean Harley riders are either rude or selfish.

I have owned and ridden Harleys.  I have also owned and ridden bicycles, putting 1000s of miles on my bike in both urban streets and open roads.  In all those miles and years, I have never once had a problem with a motorcyclist of any brand, especially Harleys.  But I have been threatened and assalted by people in autos and trucks, I have been ridden off the road by little old ladies, and been rear-ended at stop lights by drivers claiming they did not see me.  Harley noise is of little consequence to me.

And as far as noises go, noise and polution from trucks far excedes that of Harleys.  I am far more irritated at people talking loiudly on cell phones in public places than any motorcycle noise I have encounterd.  Attending a Harley rally is a different thing ... wear ear plugs.  Don't attent Sturgis or Datona Bike Week.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 38
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 12 2012, 9:59 pm)
Is this a seriopus problem?

It's a seriously annoying problem. My wife and I were trying to  eat lunch yesterday at a restaurant where we were surrounded by a bunch of old farts in their Harley costumes. When they left we had about 15 minutes where we couldn't   speak to each other due to the noise level as these geriatric badasses mounted and revved their engines waiting on the rest of the herd to join them. That's just obnoxious.  It's sort of like guys who burp or fart loudly then laugh hysterically.
 Post Number: 39
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Nov. 12 2012, 10:49 pm)

Is this a seriopus problem?

It's a seriously annoying problem. My wife and I were trying to  eat lunch yesterday at a restaurant where we were surrounded by a bunch of old farts in their Harley costumes. When they left we had about 15 minutes where we couldn't   speak to each other due to the noise level as these geriatric badasses mounted and revved their engines waiting on the rest of the herd to join them. That's just obnoxious.  It's sort of like guys who burp or fart loudly then laugh hysterically.

Nothing about them could be even brushingly close to being as obnoxious as what you just typed here.
 Post Number: 40
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rumi, I don't pay enough attention to know if they are Harleys or what, but I do have a real problem with unsafe riding by motorcyclists on the rural roads I cycle.  I don't care what they ride--just slow down, quiet down, and keep us all safer!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 41
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's sort of like guys who burp or fart loudly then laugh hysterically.

Whoa whoa. There's a time and a place to everything. :)
 Post Number: 42
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a first world problem to me.  :)
 Post Number: 43

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SnidelyWhiplash @ Nov. 12 2012, 11:45 pm)

It's sort of like guys who burp or fart loudly then laugh hysterically.

Whoa whoa. There's a time and a place to everything. :)

Exactly.
 Post Number: 44

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most Harley riders are respectable people.  They are often lawyers, doctors, teachers, engineers, technicians, law enforcement officers, sales people, business people, firefighters, and similar professional people ... just like backpackers.  You know Backpackers ... those dirty smelly loudmouthed assholes that like to invade restaurants for their post hike burger and beer.  They wear their dirty backpacker badass costumes around, tracking in dirt along with their haven't-washed-in-five-days body odor. They all have to sit together so they rudely move tables together and take every empty chair they can find to accomodate their loud smelly group.  Then they laugh and talk so loud, making sure everyone in the whole restaurant has to listen to them brag about their childish adventures.  Nobody else can use the toilet after they get through making a mess of it.  And don't even get me started about through hikers ...

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 45
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then can I just rant about motorcyclists, of any description, who ride noisy bikes too fast on otherwise quiet country roads?  If it helps, I'll complain just as loudly about idiots in cars who also drive too fast, don't move over to pass bicycles, and generally disturb the peace.  

Heck, I'm feeling cranky.  I just want all the other jerks to get off my roads, okay?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 46

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 12 2012, 9:32 pm)
Then can I just rant about motorcyclists, of any description, who ride noisy bikes too fast on otherwise quiet country roads?  If it helps, I'll complain just as loudly about idiots in cars who also drive too fast, don't move over to pass bicycles, and generally disturb the peace.  

Heck, I'm feeling cranky.  I just want all the other jerks to get off my roads, okay?

I'm cranky too!  hehe

It is funny, some of the worst treatment I have received as a bicyclist has come from women in cars.  I have had young punks throw stuff at me, but it didn't surprise me that young punks might do that.  But two women in minivans have actually hit me while I was on my bike.  A woman in rural Illinois repeatedly ran me off the road.  A middle aged businessman with his elderly mother in the car (a big ole Cadilac) threatened to run me off a bridge in Kansas City.

I have never had a problem with any motorcyclist ever when riding my bicycle.  It may just be my experience is atypical. Yea, but rant all you want about unsafe driving of any kind.  

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 47
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 12 2012, 9:08 am)
 So why do Harley owners think they have to annouce their presence with the god-awful noice that so often accompanies them?  Just plain rude and a bit childish, IMO.  Any insights? ???

Yes, watch this.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 48
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In North Carolina, when they're not robbing liquor stores they seem to spend a lot of time poking down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The noise carries for miles. It hard to camp in the area and not hear them throughout the day.

Unfortunately or fortunately for you, you happen to live in an area that is a Mecca sort of speaking for cursing through some wonderful scenery.

I can see people from all over making the pilgrimage"

"Look at all those f*&king pretty trees"

"These hills are the nicest GD place I've ever been"

"This sh*t is spectacular!"

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 49
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:34 am)

I can see people from all over making the pilgrimage"

"Look at all those f*&king pretty trees"

"These hills are the nicest GD place I've ever been"

"This sh*t is spectacular!"

Sounds like a bunch of backpackers getting together.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 50
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[quote=HighGravity,Nov. 12 2012, 6:00 pm]

That's the problem.

It's a short life.......can't be concerned with the judgement others may express about me.  I choose to live free, thank you very much.

From the looks of things here, there is PLENTY of judgement to go around.  

Attend a fallen soldiers funeral and go tell the Harley riders you think their pipes are too loud.  Oh sorry......it's so much better to do that sitting behind a keyboard.
 Post Number: 51

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Attending a Harley rally is a different thing ... wear ear plugs.  Don't attent Sturgis or Datona Bike Week.

Rumi

And be sure not to attend Rolling Thunder in D.C.
All these childish men and women dress in their costumes and make all that noise.

The Marine in this video is obviously annoyed at the loud pipes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfnmDGk0KM
 Post Number: 52
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like loud pipes.  :cool: In fact I just sold a bike that had crazy loud pipes and I am in search of the next eardrum breaker.

Now the clothes...y'all have fun with that but you won't be seeing RanD wearing a leather vest with tassels.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 53

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 6:55 am)

That's the problem.

It's a short life.......can't be concerned with the judgement others may express about me.

You can justify narcissism anyway you want. Doesn't make it okay.
 Post Number: 54
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I to, find the loud pipes not only rude but illegal.

I don't understand how a car with no mufflers is to loud and ticketed for it but a bike isn't.

I'd like to see the noise law enforced.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 55
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ride a BMW and have enjoyed motorcycling for many years, usually either a Ducati or Beemer. IMHO the loud pipes are a form of expression, style and coolness.It just depends on your personal taste. Certainly, not my style.  Yet, I respect the rights of those who choose to do so and the fact they are riding motorcycles. At times I do feel bad for the loud pipe set though, as it must be very uncomfortable on long rides dealing with the vibration and noise.
 Post Number: 56

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:58 am)

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 6:55 am)

That's the problem.

It's a short life.......can't be concerned with the judgement others may express about me.

You can justify narcissism anyway you want. Doesn't make it okay.

You want to call my non-paranoid lifestyle narcissism?  
Let me repeat myself........I'm not concerned with your judgement of me, or my views.  I don't care if that's OK with you or not.
Don't know how I can simplify that any more than it is.
 Post Number: 57
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Nov. 12 2012, 11:09 pm)

(hikerjer @ Nov. 12 2012, 9:08 am)
 So why do Harley owners think they have to annouce their presence with the god-awful noice that so often accompanies them?  Just plain rude and a bit childish, IMO.  Any insights? ???

Yes, watch this.

-Don-

That was an awesome episode of South Park. We watched that shortly after it came out and laughed our arses off.
 Post Number: 58
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:49 am)
I like loud pipes.  :cool: In fact I just sold a bike that had crazy loud pipes and I am in search of the next eardrum breaker.

Now the clothes...y'all have fun with that but you won't be seeing RanD wearing a leather vest with tassels.

How about assless chaps?  
 Post Number: 59
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:31 am)

Attending a Harley rally is a different thing ... wear ear plugs.  Don't attent Sturgis or Datona Bike Week.

Rumi

And be sure not to attend Rolling Thunder in D.C.
All these childish men and women dress in their costumes and make all that noise.

The Marine in this video is obviously annoyed at the loud pipes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfnmDGk0KM

These bikers like loud bikes too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2mAz06nP-0

As do these:

http://bacaworld.org/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012....51.html

I love the sound of Harleys.  To me they sound like community.  But I grew up in the "childish" world of the NJ MCs.  The purr of those engines feel like home and happy times.

I have a thing for muscle cars too.  And the sound of military aircraft tearing through the air above my house.

All part of the landscape.  :)
 Post Number: 60
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 8:29 am)
Let me repeat myself........I'm not concerned with your judgement of me, or my views.  I don't care if that's OK with you or not.
Don't know how I can simplify that any more than it is.

You know, I really don't give a rip about your lifestyle or what turns you on.  This is a sort of free country after all as you, I think, tried to point out.  However, when your life style infringes on my space and impacts my quality of life, I do care and that's what loud pipes do.  Maybe in the cosmic scheme of things it's minor as Rumi points out.  Still, if I was your neighbor and played my music at deafening levels which impacted your life style, I wonder just how tolerant you'd be.  I doubt you'd say that's just him exercising his freedom.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
199 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 12:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 7<<123456>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harley riders? riders
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions