2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 7<<1234567>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harley riders? riders, What is it wit them< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 61
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:22 am)
I to, find the loud pipes not only rude but illegal.

I don't understand how a car with no mufflers is to loud and ticketed for it but a bike isn't.

I'd like to see the noise law enforced.

Though to be more honest I'm more shocked and disturbed to realize that motorcycles don't have to meet the emissions restrictions cars do.  So those fuel-efficient bikes are often dumping more pollutants into the air (which I am trying to breathe) than even the effing great huge SUVs.  And that's not an issue about taste.  That matters big time to every one of us.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 62
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 8:29 am)

(HighGravity @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:58 am)

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 6:55 am)

(HighGravity @ Nov. 12 2012, 6:40 pm)
[quote=HighGravity,Nov. 12 2012, 6:00 pm]

That's the problem.

It's a short life.......can't be concerned with the judgement others may express about me.

You can justify narcissism anyway you want. Doesn't make it okay.

You want to call my non-paranoid lifestyle narcissism?  
Let me repeat myself........I'm not concerned with your judgement of me, or my views.  I don't care if that's OK with you or not.
Don't know how I can simplify that any more than it is.

No one is having trouble understanding your statement. I was referring to your indifference of how your choices affect others.

The original question asked was "Harley Riders, What is wit them?" You've answered the question. You don't care what anyone thinks of the noise your Harley makes.  You don't care who you annoy.  You've confirmed what others have said. It's a subculture that doesn't care how they affect others.  You should care. If you live in a society of people, you should care how your decisions affect others.

That South Park episode posted by Don Tom is pretty spot on to the general attitude exhibited by this subculture.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 63
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I am going to bow outa this discussion.  I sincerely apologize for any remarks I have made which have escalasted the animosity.  HYOH

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 64
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 13 2012, 11:58 am)
Well, I am going to bow outa this discussion.  I sincerely apologize for any remarks I have made which have escalasted the animosity.  HYOH

Rumi

Hey, Rumi.  No offense taken, no apologies necessary.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 65
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 13 2012, 11:40 am)

Let me repeat myself........I'm not concerned with your judgement of me, or my views.  I don't care if that's OK with you or not.

You know, I really don't give a rip about your lifestyle or what turns you on.  This is a sort of free country after all as you, I think, tried to point out.  However, when your life style infringes on my space and impacts my quality of life, I do care and that's what loud pipes do.  Maybe in the cosmic scheme of things it's minor as Rumi points out.  Still, if I was your neighbor and played my music at deafening levels which impacted your life style, I wonder just how tolerant you'd be.  I doubt you'd say that's just him exercising his freedom.

We need to add:

ATVs, snowmobiles, 4 wheel drive vehicles, horses, dirt bikes, yahoos with shotguns, car alarms, cell phones, leaf blowers, snow throwers, and Skrillex..

..to the List of Things That Need to End to Improve Our Quality of Life.

I'm drafting a petition.  Who's with me??!?

(I was going to add "screaming babies" to that list too, but I don't want to open that can of worms today.  Maybe later.)
 Post Number: 66
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't forget dogs, people that write checks at the store, Joe Buck, Ricky Gervais,boy scouts, gerbils, people that eat gluten free that aren't gluten intolerant, and wind chimes.

Back to the Harley thing. It doesn't bother me. Could care less. But honestly
and it's just something that I can't help. Probably isnt true. But every time I hear loud pipes I say to myself, "That guy has a small package."
 Post Number: 67
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:34 am)

(City Man @ Nov. 12 2012, 8:59 pm)
In North Carolina, when they're not robbing liquor stores they seem to spend a lot of time poking down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The noise carries for miles. It hard to camp in the area and not hear them throughout the day.

Unfortunately or fortunately for you, you happen to live in an area that is a Mecca sort of speaking for cursing through some wonderful scenery.

I can see people from all over making the pilgrimage"

"Look at all those f*&king pretty trees"

"These hills are the nicest GD place I've ever been"

"This sh*t is spectacular!"

:laugh: Just too funny

Meant to say - Cruising through some wonderful scenery.  Though I like the cursing through some wonderful scenery much more.

HighGravity

surrounded by a bunch of old farts in their Harley costumes. these geriatric badasses waiting on the rest of the herd to join them.

just obnoxious and testless

RebeccaD

Rumi, I don't pay enough attention to know if they are Harleys or what, but I do have a real problem with unsafe riding by motorcyclists on the rural roads I cycle. I don't care what they ride--just slow down, quiet down, and keep us all safer!

Large Population Centers = Same Percent of Rude Drivers as Small Population Centers = More Rude Drivers = I see it all the time

I always give plenty of room when passing a bicyclist on the road and never in a hurry when traveling on my motorcycle.

Rude is Rude, Unsafe is just stupid no matter how we look at it.

MsDoolittle

How about assless chaps?

I have leather chaps, I have no ass, must be I have assless chaps. :laugh:

Speaking of bicyclist, is it not rude and unsafe when they travel together side by side, two or more taking up the whole lane and slowing traffic to a crawl on some of the rural roads. I always feel it to be rude and unsafe, but at the same time I never allow the few bad ones to make me pass judgment on all of them. Just mentioning this to point out that we all have things that we enjoy that as hard as we try we will always piss off someone. We just do our best to remember there are people enjoying life in the same space that we are enjoying life.

All we are saying, is to give peace a chance

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 68

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Nov. 13 2012, 12:18 pm)
But every time I hear loud pipes I say to myself, "That guy has a small package."

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 69
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 13 2012, 12:11 pm)
We need to add:

ATVs, snowmobiles, 4 wheel drive vehicles, horses, dirt bikes, yahoos with shotguns, car alarms, cell phones, leaf blowers, snow throwers, and Skrillex..

(I was going to add "screaming babies" to that list too, but I don't want to open that can of worms today.  Maybe later.)

I’m all for banning, anything and everything – where do I sign  :)  :cool:

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 70
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know, I really don't give a rip about your lifestyle or what turns you on.  This is a sort of free country after all as you, I think, tried to point out.  However, when your life style infringes on my space and impacts my quality of life, I do care and that's what loud pipes do.  Maybe in the cosmic scheme of things it's minor as Rumi points out.  Still, if I was your neighbor and played my music at deafening levels which impacted your life style, I wonder just how tolerant you'd be.  I doubt you'd say that's just him exercising his freedom.

Hikerjer......I used to like reading your posts.  You have given others some good advice and seemed like a good person through your writings.  Now I see that you are just another bigot who attacks those that may live differently than you.

You're right, if you were my neighbor and played your music at deafening levels I probably wouldn't be so tolerant.  

No one wants to hear Broadway Show Tunes, Lawrence Welk, and the Village People no matter what volume you choose to play it.
 Post Number: 71
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, cabin fever is striking early this year, what will February bring.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 72
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 13 2012, 10:11 am)

We need to add:

Me!

Let's not forget all other hikers, snowshoers, skiers, snowboarders and bicyclists (mtn bikes and road bikes).  I want the place alllll to myself!  :cool:

And I'm adding screaming babies to the list.  :p
 Post Number: 73

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:01 pm)

(spindle @ Nov. 13 2012, 10:11 am)

We need to add:

Me!

Let's not forget all other hikers, snowshoers, skiers, snowboarders and bicyclists (mtn bikes and road bikes).  I want the place alllll to myself!  :cool:

That's the ticket!

I'll toss this up on Change.org.  We'll become a movement!  The Silence and Solitude Coalition.

No one shall be allowed to infringe on anyones "personal space" once our new laws are on the books.

My Personal Space requirements are 20 miles in diameter.  And I expect it to be dead silent at all times.

We shall make it so.  :cool:
 Post Number: 74
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:09 pm)
My Personal Space requirements are 20 miles in diameter.  And I expect it to be dead silent at all times.

You know that would to as bats&^t crazy as Tigger if you didn't have someone to give crap to.  :D

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 75
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some days. . . I like that 20 mile quiet zone.  I'm in!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 76
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, I am 100% no joking behind the ban on leaf blowers.  Stupidest invention ever.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 77

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:12 pm)

(spindle @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:09 pm)

You know that would to as bats&^t crazy as Tigger if you didn't have someone to give crap to.  :D

You know there's 3 of Me in here right?  :O

There's always some obnoxious, unwanted slab of wildlife that needs telling off whenever I'm out.

I have a personal hatred of grouse and mockingbirds that needs periodic venting.  It'll serve.
 Post Number: 78

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:23 pm)
BTW, I am 100% no joking behind the ban on leaf blowers.  Stupidest invention ever.

My neighbor fires his up between 7-8am on Saturday mornings.  Runs the fricken thing for HOURS.

I should be legally allowed to shoot him.

This is PA. We shoot everything here and clearly he needs killin'.
 Post Number: 79
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:30 pm)

My neighbor fires his up between 7-8am on Saturday mornings.  Runs the fricken thing for HOURS.

Only if you use a suppressor and catch the shell casing.  Those things falling on dry leaves are loud as anything.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 80

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:54 pm)

Only if you use a suppressor and catch the shell casing.  Those things falling on dry leaves are loud as anything.

::scribble::
 Post Number: 81

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 12:42 pm)
Hikerjer......I used to like reading your posts.  You have given others some good advice and seemed like a good person through your writings.  Now I see that you are just another bigot who attacks those that may live differently than you.

You're right, if you were my neighbor and played your music at deafening levels I probably wouldn't be so tolerant.  

No one wants to hear Broadway Show Tunes, Lawrence Welk, and the Village People no matter what volume you choose to play it.

Thank you for the kind words.  I do appreciate them.  As for the not so kind words, I hardly think that expressing my distaste for people that insist they have to right to disrupt my life and invade my space with their entirely unnecessary noise makes me a bigot.  And like I said, I really dont't care about your life style.  As long as you are consdiderate of others, it really doesn't make a bit of differenceto me.  I really fail to see the difference between disrupting peoples lives with loud music - be it the Village People or Beethoven - or loud motorcycle pipes.  Yet you seem to take offense at the idea that someone would annoy you with their loud music.  You know, it's all just about consideration for others.  I have aboslutely nothing against motorcycle riders any more than I do against automobile or truck drivers.  It's how they use or abuse their vehilcles that concens me.   I would guess we'd get along fine if you baffle you pipes and I don't play loud music next to your home.  Seems like a reasonable compormise to me

--------------
 Post Number: 82
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Nov. 13 2012, 10:42 am)
Now I see that you are just another bigot who attacks those that may live differently than you.

Irony is funny. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 83
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To me it's just another of life's minor annoyances - akin to the list that someone posted above.  

At worst, it's temporarily annoying, and then it's gone.  I am pretty sure that I do things that annoy other people too.

ETA: that Southpark episode is hilarious  :laugh:

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
 Post Number: 84
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooo, Pot!  Kettle here!  You're black!!!
 Post Number: 85
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:54 pm)

May I humbly suggest a subsonic round? That annoying crack of the bullet flying through the air can really ruin the atmosphere of a view.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 86
unclehubert Search for posts by this member.
ambivalence!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that in a national park there should be a restriction on the decibel levels a vehicle can generate. It disturbs people as well as animals.

--------------
Hey!

Ego similis ambulo dudus!
 Post Number: 87
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought you said you don't care what anyone else thinks. Kinda seems like you do. That's a good sign.

He's not attacking "those who live differently". He's commenting, as am I, about those who don't care if what they do bothers other people. I like to smoke cigars, but I don't smoke them in a restaurant, or even in a park with other people around, because the smell bothers some.  I choose not to "live freely" as you put it, when that freedom affects others.  When you live in a society of people, you can't live completely free.
 Post Number: 88
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 13 2012, 3:01 pm)

Thank you for the kind words.  I do appreciate them.  As for the not so kind words, I hardly think that expressing my distaste for people that insist they have to right to disrupt my life and invade my space with their entirely unnecessary noise makes me a bigot.  And like I said, I really dont't care about your life style.  As long as you are consdiderate of others, it really doesn't make a bit of differenceto me.  I really fail to see the difference between disrupting peoples lives with loud music - be it the Village People or Beethoven - or loud motorcycle pipes.  Yet you seem to take offense at the idea that someone would annoy you with their loud music.  You know, it's all just about consideration for others.  I have aboslutely nothing against motorcycle riders any more than I do against automobile or truck drivers.  It's how they use or abuse their vehilcles that concens me.   I would guess we'd get along fine if you baffle you pipes and I don't play loud music next to your home.  Seems like a reasonable compormise to me

Jer, this is one of the few times I think we can agree.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 89
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:22 am)
I to, find the loud pipes not only rude but illegal.

I don't understand how a car with no mufflers is to loud and ticketed for it but a bike isn't.

I'd like to see the noise law enforced.

agreed.

I don't care what it is: a Harley, a riced-up Honda Civic with a fart tube, a rusted out 25 year old chevy with no muffler, or a diesel dually with an exhaust tip bigger than my head.  they're all irritating as hell and should be ticketed.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 90
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Nov. 13 2012, 12:57 pm)
Damn, cabin fever is striking early this year, what will February bring.

That's got to be the quote of the day IMHO!  

Oh yeah.....Some of you really, really need to chill out!  (i know jer.....you think I'm referring to you but I'm not)

I had no idea there were so many sensitive folks on this forum.  My apologies to anyone I may have offended my my words.

Y'all have fun....don't bust anyone's balls 'cause some can't take it.
199 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 12:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 7<<1234567>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harley riders? riders
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions