2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: paracord bracelets? :: Total Votes:53
Poll choices Votes Statistics
A: I always wear one 0  [0.00%]
B: I wear one when I'm outdoors 5  [9.43%]
C: I never wear one 41  [77.36%]
D: What's paracord? 7  [13.21%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: paracord bracelets?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Generic paracord  bracelet usage survey.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least I never wear one is leading "what's paracord?"

--------------
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see little use for paracord, since Amsteel is stronger and doesn't stretch when wet.  It is also lighter.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've long considered it a silly "tacticool" trend.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 7:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually have 50' or so in my pack, so I think I'm good.
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The amount used in a bracelet is worthless IMHO to use for anything in a survifval situation. I carry 50 feet in my pack.
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forget the cord. If you really want to wear a "survival" bracelet, make it out of 50' or so of snare wire.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 14 2012, 6:49 am)

+1

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

When I see someone wearing one, I usually ask them what it is for. Most wearers I see have absolutely no idea.

More of a 'fashion' statement, I guess.
 Post Number: 10
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.  Multiple coils of your favorite cord formed into a belt make more sense.  A belt buckle or a lanyard with a whistle is as close as I ever get to wearing jewelry anyway.
 Post Number: 11
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can I chop my arm off with it?
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 14 2012, 4:15 am)

+1

Just the idea of wearing a bracelet annoys me unless of course it was for eyebp.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting responses. I see people wearing them all the time at work and we sell them now and they are selling well. Plus the archery guys use it for their wrist slings for their bows. I've never worn one in the backcountry simply because I always have some in my pack. I'm wearing a pink camo one now because I think it's cute :)  However I do know that if I pulled the strands out I could use it for fishing line, set snares or keep it together and use it for a bow fire starter, string for the tent and just in general use rope. The length keeps it from being used for little else. More practical than a livestrong rubber bracelet.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 14 2012, 7:50 am)

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 14 2012, 4:15 am)

+1

Just the idea of wearing a bracelet annoys me unless of course it was for eyebp.

What they say, except the part about EyeBP :D

I can't stand even to wear a wristwatch--it always ends up in my pocket.  I'll stick with the cord in my pack.

NOTHING goes around my neck, either.  Just can't stand it.  I seldom even wear a necklace, though I try to remember to when it's part of the uniform, so to speak :)

I kind of like the idea of cord as a belt, though it would have to be very carefully done to not be too thick and annoying under a pack--I don't think the macrame approach would work well.  Too bad, because that would actually give you enough cord to be useful.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 14 2012, 6:49 am)

This. And add camoflage on knife handles as another example of tacticool silliness.

Besides, I wear a watch on one wrist and a road id on the other when I'm in the woods. The useful 50 feet of paracord is in my backpack.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 16
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Nov. 14 2012, 10:26 am)
When I see someone wearing one, I usually ask them what it is for. Most wearers I see have absolutely no idea.

I've been gifted two of them by non-outdoors type people.  Both were ideas their daughters got from Girl Scouts / Church camp and they made a bunch.  

They are both somewhere in a kitchen drawer.  If I was smart, I might at least keep it in my car for something, but I tend to carry rope for food hangs or clotheslines already.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 17
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't  wear one but occasional I have it clipped to my pack.  Made my own and ones with different weaves just to see how much cord can be stuffed into one.  It is a beeotch getting close to 20' of cord in one without it becoming too bulky.  The one I currently have that is still intact holds about 18' of cord.
 Post Number: 18
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, don't wear one. Seems silly to me. Besides, I am like RebeccaD - I don't wear anything on my wrists. Makes me crazy! I don't wear watches or braclets, none of that for me!

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 19
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another person with 50 feet or so in my pack.  All the work going into making one of those stupid bracelets would negate wanting to untie it.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 20
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"tacticool" is a good word for it.  I was given one by my sister-in-law a couple Christmases ago.  I don't wear it.  If I carry it, I clip it to my pack somewhere.

I wouldn't say she's non-outdoorsy, but she doesn't have much for practical outdoors skills.  she's a gun nut, but only goes to the target range...she doesn't hunt, and she plays paintball.  that's about the extent of it.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 21
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have even seen ones with a handcuff key as part of the plastic clasp. Now everyone knows that a handcuff key is crucial in a survival situation. Isn't it also mandatory to carry a 9" survival knife along with your survival bracelet???

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 22
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the idea of a bracelet is that you will always have it in case of an emergency.  I don't think it was intended to replace gear in your pack.

But this brings up an interesting side question, which may need its own thread, what good is gear if you get separated from it?  What if your pack or part of your gear gets dropped down a ravine, swept away in a river, or for whatever reason gets separated from you?  I think Cody Lundin advocates wearing a pouch or something with your survival gear which should never be separated from your person, even when sleeping, bathing, crapping, etc.  It is basic stuff but what he considers the absolute minumum.  I am going on memory of an article in Backpacker mag I read, so it might be another person.  Anyway, the idea is to not pack emergency gear in your pack but to keep it on you all the time.

Rumi

PS:  Found the Cody Lundin article.  I guess I still have a few brain cells firing, because this article was from September 1999.  hahaha

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 23
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 14 2012, 5:49 am)

Made them for the boys...don't have one for me yet.  But I have no delusions about "saving my life" with 10' of cord.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 24
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 14 2012, 1:23 pm)
I think the idea of a bracelet is that you will always have it in case of an emergency.  I don't think it was intended to replace gear in your pack.

But this brings up an interesting side question, which may need its own thread, what good is gear if you get separated from it?  What if your pack or part of your gear gets dropped down a ravine, swept away in a river, or for whatever reason gets separated from you?  I think Cody Lundin advocates wearing a pouch or something with your survival gear which should never be separated from your person, even when sleeping, bathing, crapping, etc.  It is basic stuff but what he considers the absolute minumum.  I am going on memory of an article in Backpacker mag I read, so it might be another person.  Anyway, the idea is to not pack emergency gear in your pack but to keep it on you all the time.

Rumi

PS:  Found the Cody Lundin article.  I guess I still have a few brain cells firing, because this article was from September 1999.  hahaha

That's a good article.  Thanks.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 25
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zipposdad @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:14 pm)
I have even seen ones with a handcuff key as part of the plastic clasp. Now everyone knows that a handcuff key is crucial in a survival situation. Isn't it also mandatory to carry a 9" survival knife along with your survival bracelet???

Every so often we will get a rookie right out of the academy wearing one of those.  Being a Sergeant, I don't mock them for it, but their co-workers tend to be less kind than I am.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 26
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good point, Rumi.  I keep some essentials in my camera bag, which goes with me most places (not always to the loo, though!).  Probably not enough, though a whistle is a good place to start--and that I'm working on getting everyone to transfer to a secure pocket.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 27
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 14 2012, 11:58 am)
... a whistle is a good place to start--and that I'm working on getting everyone to transfer to a secure pocket.

I cannot emphasize enough, how important it is that children have a whistle at all times when in the backcountry.  I "forced" my boys to wear a whisle on a lanyard at all times, even in their sleeping bag.  I made them practice blowing a signal as well.  I could not live with myself if they had become lost going to the cathole or just exploring around.  With kids there is just too much  opportunity for them to get lost.  I carry a whistle all the time now as well.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool article with Cody. I've never really thought about carrying a survival bag outside of my pack. My survival bag is inside my pack, which I now think it's time to change that. Which makes me wonder what type of bag to use that works with the waist belt on my pack.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:23 pm)
But this brings up an interesting side question, which may need its own thread, what good is gear if you get separated from it?  What if your pack or part of your gear gets dropped down a ravine, swept away in a river, or for whatever reason gets separated from you?

Excellent questions. I always carry a knife and a lighter in my pockets. Not the ideal survival kit, but it ought to bring me through most nights.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 30
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a small whistle attached to my stuff sack with my ti trowel and TP in it. along with a small led light.
50 replies since Nov. 13 2012, 11:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply paracord bracelets?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions