2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: paracord bracelets? :: Total Votes:53
Poll choices Votes Statistics
A: I always wear one 0  [0.00%]
B: I wear one when I'm outdoors 5  [9.43%]
C: I never wear one 41  [77.36%]
D: What's paracord? 7  [13.21%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: paracord bracelets?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 4:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No bracelet but keep a coil in my pack....

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
gorgescrambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We make generic para cord at my company. It is a very popular cord, we sell it in 50 ft hanks to the sporting good and hardware wholesale market. Any color or any color mix sells as fast as we make it. Our problem is we only have a few 32 carrier braiders, which it is made on. Capacity limits us and in the US there are no used braiders on the market(all have gone to Mex etc, many years ago) and only new ones(too expensive) made overseas are available. But I do have a hank in my pack on every outing.
 Post Number: 33
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear one with certain outfits.  It's black and balances my accessories when I'm wearing a watch.

And you never know when you'll need to tie a ************ up.
 Post Number: 34
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My google-fu is STRONG!

https://bisondesigns.com/node/504

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 35
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 14 2012, 12:07 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 14 2012, 11:58 am)
... a whistle is a good place to start--and that I'm working on getting everyone to transfer to a secure pocket.

I cannot emphasize enough, how important it is that children have a whistle at all times when in the backcountry.  I "forced" my boys to wear a whisle on a lanyard at all times, even in their sleeping bag.  I made them practice blowing a signal as well.  I could not live with myself if they had become lost going to the cathole or just exploring around.  With kids there is just too much  opportunity for them to get lost.  I carry a whistle all the time now as well.

Rumi

Don't like lanyards around the neck, for myself or especially for kids (seems like if it's a "breakaway" fastener, then they are most likely to lose it when needed, and if not, it's a hazard to people who climb everything in sight),  thus the pockets.  I'm especially dubious about wearing one in the sleeping bag.

Maybe I'll just drop a whistle (in a zip-lock) into the bag with the trowel.  That would take care of bathroom trips, even if people have changed out of hiking clothes and into something without secure pockets.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 36
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 14 2012, 5:02 pm)
My google-fu is STRONG!

https://bisondesigns.com/node/504

Check out stormdrane.blogspot.com.  Over near your neck of the woods too.  Buy 100' for $10 and make it yourself.  Use a chain sennet and it'll come apart in <10 seconds if you need it to.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 37

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:34 pm)

(RumiDude @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:23 pm)
But this brings up an interesting side question, which may need its own thread, what good is gear if you get separated from it?  What if your pack or part of your gear gets dropped down a ravine, swept away in a river, or for whatever reason gets separated from you?

Excellent questions. I always carry a knife and a lighter in my pockets. Not the ideal survival kit, but it ought to bring me through most nights.

From the Ranger Handbook, Feb 2011:

"Survival Kits:
Level 1 Kit (carried on individual) should consist of at a minimum of a knife, some form of fire starter, such as lighter matches or flint striker, watch, signal mirror and some 550 cord.
Level 2 Kit (carried in FLC or rack) waterproof container, water purification tabs, 2ft sq. aluminum foil, fishing kit (line, hooks and weights) medical supplies, snare wire, signaling devices, compass and survival knife.
Level 3 Kit (carried in assault pack or ruck) water proof container with more of the materials"

Just food for thought.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 38

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 14 2012, 4:23 pm)
I wear one with certain outfits.  It's black and balances my accessories when I'm wearing a watch.

*scribble*

--------------

Post Number: 39
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking spindle could knit paracord clothing  :D

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 40
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I might wear one if I could find a 70s puka shell necklace to go with it.  And a coonskin cap on my head and a tomahawk strapped to my leg.

(oh, the visual...)
 Post Number: 41
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:49 pm)
I might wear one if I could find a 70s puka shell necklace to go with it.  And a coonskin cap on my head and a tomahawk strapped to my leg.

(oh, the visual...)

Are you trying to look like MississippiRob?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 42

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:29 pm)
I'm thinking spindle could knit paracord clothing  :D

I'm thinking you're right.  It's sort of string.  :D
 Post Number: 43

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:06 pm)

*scribble*

If I'm hog tying you with paracord you'll be needing more than notes.
 Post Number: 44
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:51 pm)

(oh, the visual...)

I'm trying to imagine him wearing puka shells.  And now I'm laughing and I can't get up!!!!!   :D  :D  :D
 Post Number: 45
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:51 pm)

(oh, the visual...)

My first thought as well. (HOTB 2011)

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 46
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that paracord lacing those boots, or gen-u-ine naugahyde?
 Post Number: 47
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:58 pm)
Is that paracord lacing those boots, or gen-u-ine naugahyde?

Those are paracord laces. The moccasins are hand made by MississippiRob. Talented dude.
 Post Number: 48
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh! The poor Naugas.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 49
rorak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on Stormdrane.
I make leases, dog collars, and a bunch of other stuff with paracord.

--------------
Paul   TC,MI.
 Post Number: 50

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:06 pm)

(hiking_tiger @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:06 pm)

*scribble*

If I'm hog tying you with paracord you'll be needing more than notes.

Promise?  :;):

--------------

Post Number: 51
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 15 2012, 7:06 pm)
Oh! The poor Naugas.

They knew the risk when they answered the personal ad.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
50 replies since Nov. 13 2012, 11:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply paracord bracelets?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions