2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Baja 1000 starts this morning., Bikes start at 0630.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bikes start at 0630, 4 wheel vehicles start at 1130.  I think it's PST.

The Baja 1000 is an 1100 mile off road race from Ensenada to La Paz Mexico on the Baja peninsula.  Racers do it in about 20 hours in everything from million dollar trophy trucks to enduro bikes to VW beetles.  These people have huge cojones.

Check out live updates during the race here.

You can check out the excellent documentary Dust to Glory on Netflix.   It's also on youtube.

Here's a clip.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love the Baja 1000.

Next will be the Dakar Rally at the beginning of the year.

I've got several friends who have run the Baja and very few friends have run the Dakar (motorcycles).

Last year, Ned Seusse, a friend from Colorado Springs, was the only American to finish the Dakar.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  I think they run WRC rally cars at Dakar also.  I'd like to see one of those races some day.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to prerun it on the motorcycle, but I know the first sand dune I'd come to would be the end for me.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just make sure to do it with stock pipes....

Just kidding.  :)
 Post Number: 6
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find that both the Baja 1000 and Dakar are way cool.  Would love to try either one, though off road on my motorcycle, well let’s just say I need a lot of help there.  Think I’d better stick to smaller off road adventures for the time being. I seem to do enough damage to myself on them as it is.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it would be cool to do the Baja in a class 11 VW beetle.  Maybe I can get backpacker.com to sponsor me.  Anyone want to be my co-driver? :D

ETA:  I really like the idea of racing motorcycles, but I've never been on one in my life.  I've had my eye on the Kawasaki KLR650 for a few years.  One day I'll pull the trigger.  I've got a 5 year old kid and a 10 year old car that will need to be replaced soon, so it'll be a few years.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Updates and video highlights.
 Post Number: 9
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You get a sponsor and I will gladly volunteer to be the co-pilot. :D

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 10
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the Baja but the Dakar and those huge trucks, just plain awesome.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 16 2012, 8:36 am)
I like the Baja but the Dakar and those huge trucks, just plain awesome.

They are.

The motorcycles have warning systems on their bikes if they fall behind and get caught up in that mess. Those big trucks are fricken scary!
10 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 1:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Baja 1000 starts this morning.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions