2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wim Hof aka IceMan, Fascinating stuff< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:09 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just heard about this guy a few days ago, and have been watching and reading a lot about him since.  He seems to be the "real deal" as he's been studied and tested by numerous groups and individuals.  

Not only can he withstand severe cold that would fatally injure most average people, but  he can also strengthen in his immune system at will.  In a lab experiment, he was injected with some dead pathogenic microbes that normally cause severe reactions in people, but he was fine after.  

He applies these principles also to extreme heat, running a marathon in the desert with no water during the run.

My sense is that this is only the tip of the iceberg.  A man i respect a lot, Bob Monroe, use to say that the biggest illusion that humanity has is that we have limits.  People like Hof seem to lend credence to that.  

Hof seems to think that these powers are mostly in the mind and in changing ones perception, and combining mind and body training to strengthen ones positive/directed beliefs of "i can do this".  

Anyways, there's a bunch of Youtube videos about this guy.  He's not the only one who can do this, but one of the most public.  This has been a long and continuing lifestyle of Tibetan Monks living in the frigid Himalayas.   Hof many years ago, started practicing Tummo meditation which is from their culture/beliefs.  

Perhaps related indirectly is a man named Tom Campbell who is a physicist who use to work with NASA.  Tom wrote a book called "My Big TOE" (which you can read for free on google books).   Tom's basic hypothesis from  physics studies and his consciousness explorations is that we, the real us is Consciousness in essence and that what we experience as physical reality is sort of like a set up probabilistic data stream induced to create certain perceptions and experiences (for the ultimate purpose of Consciousness growth).  

His common analogy is that physical and non physical realities are akin to virtual reality or video games, which are set up based on certain "rule sets".  

More metaphysically, through his own explorations (many years of meditation and out of body stuff), he's learned that it's all about growing the quality of consciousness, and he focuses a lot on agape Love as something we are all trying to grow towards.  (some go in the opposite direction though and focus on the little/separated self and de-evolve)

If Tom is right, then it explains what Hof and some others can do, they are using their mind or rather their Consciousness to alter the probable data streams of their local reality in order to change or alter patterns in the material rule sets and experiences/perceptions--such as "extreme cold will kill a human quickly".  Normally that is true, but it can be changed.

The key to Hof's sucess is his total belief in his ability to overcome same, a lack of blocking or hindering (negative beliefs), general practice of exposure, and practice of meditation which is a way of focusing the mind and strengthening one's intention as a means to alter the data stream.  

Like i said, i think Hof and others like him, are only the tip of the iceberg.  What about people like Jesus?  Maybe it's not all myth and Jesus was just someone who took this all to a whole nother level and had total control over the data stream we call physical reality?  

If you understand that all we experience "outside" of ourselves is just bits of information flowing in a certain way, in certain patterns, and Consciousness is primary and fundamental, then Consciousness can alter that info through will/intention.   How much seems to depend on a few different things, the focus of intention/strength of belief, how mature and grown the consciousness, and whether they are doing so for the good of the Whole or not.  When you try to buck the system for selfish or myopic reasons, the system bucks you.  

In Tom's work,  you don't actually have "a body" as a real thing, but rather the data stream creates this impression and the general system with it's various probabilistic rules and rule sets makes it a very convincing temporary reality/perception.  However, your consciousness is very real, and i would argue that the beauty of our world is very real.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard about this guy last year when Columbia Sports wear was running ad using him as a character

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure if it was the same guy, but I saw a show on someone who could withstand extreme cold temperatures.  I think it was on Stan Lee's Superhumans, or something.  Pretty fascinating subject.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 16 2012, 8:02 am)
Not sure if it was the same guy, but I saw a show on someone who could withstand extreme cold temperatures.  I think it was on Stan Lee's Superhumans, or something.  Pretty fascinating subject.

+1

Pretty sure it's the same guy. I've seen him on several shows over the last few years.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Read yesterday bout a guy held his breath for 22 minutes. Got heartrate down in the 30s.
 Post Number: 6
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Encouraging stupidity is nothing to brag about.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Panhandler @ Nov. 17 2012, 6:51 pm)
Read yesterday bout a guy held his breath for 22 minutes. Got heartrate down in the 30s.

That is a really, really, really long time...  That's pretty amazing too.
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have to wonder.  I mean, I am constantly going on as if I had no limits, or at least the same ones I had 15years ago.  Then I spend weeks healing.  There has to be more to it than just "believing" or none of us hikers would ever get old.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Panhandler @ Nov. 17 2012, 4:51 pm)

Yes, but no need to pass that info along without the additional information.

Read more about it here.

From the article.

He then fills his lungs with as much pure oxygen as he can, but even without that he once held the record for static apnea without pure oxygen first, holding his breath for 10:12mins. The current record was set by Stéphane Mifsud in 2009 with a time of 11:35mins.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 18 2012, 12:21 pm)
I have to wonder.  I mean, I am constantly going on as if I had no limits, or at least the same ones I had 15years ago.  Then I spend weeks healing.  There has to be more to it than just "believing" or none of us hikers would ever get old.

I agree, i don't think it's just about belief.  Seems to me to be a very holistic process involving mind, body, and spirit.

Even if Tom Campbell is right in his theories and the body and physical reality is ultimately just a perceptual illusion, a certain data stream we temporarily dip into, it's still a very persistent, extremely believable, and strong perceptual illusion and it has it's own probable rule sets.  It can take a lot, sometimes, to get beyond those.  

That's where training, meditation, intention of positive influence on the whole, and other things besides belief seem to come in.  But without belief or lack of hindering belief, the above won't get as far.  

Related to that are things like the placebo effect in medicine.  Cannot be explained by mainstream science adequately, but most everyone accepts that it's a definite and important factor.  It's all based on the power and influence of belief and the mind influencing the physical in definite and quantifiable ways.   We cannot measure Consciousness with physical instruments directly, but we can observe it's effects on the physical through different means.
 Post Number: 11
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LiteMan @ Nov. 19 2012, 6:59 pm)
[It's all based on the power and influence of belief and the mind influencing the physical in definite and quantifiable ways.   We cannot measure Consciousness with physical instruments directly, but we can observe it's effects on the physical through different means.

The mind and consciousness are physical/material.

Rumi~the physical~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Nov. 19 2012, 10:20 pm)

(LiteMan @ Nov. 19 2012, 6:59 pm)
[It's all based on the power and influence of belief and the mind influencing the physical in definite and quantifiable ways.   We cannot measure Consciousness with physical instruments directly, but we can observe it's effects on the physical through different means.

The mind and consciousness are physical/material.

Rumi~the physical~Dude

What is physical/material, how would you define it's essence and meaning?  

If going by mainstream paradigms and theories based on science, i would have to disagree because i've had experiences which contradicted those theories.  I've had experiences which have shown me, that whatever this physical reality really is, it's all connected beyond time/space concepts.  Many of us seem to view ourselves and different things as relatively isolated things existing only in space/time, and unless there is a direct connection between one "thing" and another through some kind of physical force or process, they are separate and isolated otherwise.

These experiences transcended these seeming barriers and were verified in material ways, way beyond the chances of "coincidence".   Since i've had numerous of these kinds of experiences, it goes way beyond mathematics chance ratios at this point.  

But, i don't expect people to believe me, and nor should they.  It's important to change beliefs based on self experience, and only life, not my or any other person's experiences or knowings, can provide that all important catalyst.  

But to perhaps get an opening, i do highly recommend, for those who are scientifically oriented Tom Campbell's work and perhaps a book called "The Field" by Lynne McTaggart.  There are others, but my body is tired right now and  thus my consciousness filter is slowing me down.
11 replies since Nov. 16 2012, 2:09 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wim Hof aka IceMan
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions