2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: OMG No more Twinkies!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hostess is going out of business. So no more Twinkies or Cupcakes or other goodies anymore. This is horrible! http://money.msn.com/top-sto....177e676
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:40 am)
Hostess is going out of business. So no more Twinkies or Cupcakes or other goodies anymore. This is horrible!

got em on my list for today.  Gonna freeze up a bunch

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:42 am)

I don't think you have to freeze them to make them last. Aren't they shelf stable forever as they are

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 16 2012, 7:44 am)

I don't think you have to freeze them to make them last. Aren't they shelf stable forever as they are

Plus they'll stick around your intestines for about a week.

Speculation is that the individual brands will be sold to other bakeries to pay the venture capitalists who lent (and lost) their money to the original company.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Several years ago, Hostess announced they were going to stop production of the Twinkie because of the Heath Food kick the country seemed to be in….following a public outcry of Twinkie fans (myself included) they reversed the decision.

Sounds pretty final this time.
Guess I better freeze a couple boxes too.

This is horrible.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, union.

Let the fail of the economy start.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heard the news early this morning, got the wife and kids up and we hit all the stores in the area buying their entire stock of Twinkies, Hostess cupcakes and Fruit Pies.

A few weeks from now when the Twinkie withdrawal symptoms begin, we'll make a killing.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm gonna buy a couple because my kids have never had a twinkie, ho-ho, or ding-dong.

BTW... who named these products?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:57 am)
I'm gonna buy a couple because my kids have never had a twinkie, ho-ho, or ding-dong.

BTW... who named these products?

Pee Wee Herman?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 10
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OMG
This affects Ding-Dongs too ?
This is worse than I thought

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 11
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:44 am)

Not true.  I found this out the hard way on a college field trip to a museum.  I grabbed a Twinkie from my sack lunch, and was walking and eating at the same time so I didn't look at it before it put it in my mouth.  It was covered in mold....ew!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 12
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not a Twinkie fan but I love Ho Ho and Ding dong and that chocolate wax they are covered in

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 13
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You mean no more fried Twinkies at the fair? And no more Ding Dongs? Say it isn't so!! I'm going to call President Obama RIGHT NOW and ask him to bail out Hostess. After all, Hostess is a national treasure :D

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 16 2012, 6:44 am)

What I was thinking.

Won't change a single thing in my life.  One time back in grade school I traded my homemade cake from my lunch for someone's Twinkie.  Imagine my shock and disgust when I discovered what those things taste like.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like the Nature's Pride bread that Hostess makes.  It will be a sad day indeed if this holds and those products are lost.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 16
wayne9867 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't say I will miss them.  The last Twinkie I was was in 92.  I remember it as I was in basic training for the Army.  Seems I remember that some of the Twinkies had dates on the wrapper that indicated that they were older than I was and I was 23 at the time.

Don't think President Obama will bail them out he is kind of a health food guy.  Maybe Mayor Bloomberg would be willing to help them out.
 Post Number: 17
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think we should start a petition on WhiteHouse.gov to stop this tragedy!!!   :p

Wait does hostess make those deadly delicious apple pies too?  If so, just bring me out to the pasture and put me down.  Life's not worth living without my imitation apple pie...

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Hostess also owns Drake's.  So that means no more Drake's Cakes or Devil Dog's either...

Double Edit: Yes, it does include the pies... :angry:

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 18
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:53 am)
Thanks, union.

Meet the recently-elected union boss:

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 19
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The way Wall Street hedge fund managers make money...

http://wcfcourier.com/busines....29.html

"We gave them a concessionary contract in the first bankruptcy," Wilson said.
Status-quo pay
The average Waterloo Hostess worker earns $15 to $16 an hour, Wilson said.
He said the union was simply asking to keep what was in the current agreement struck in 2007.
"We didn't take a raise for five years and gave them other concessions like paying for insurance; that's where we left it," Wilson said. "Then the second bankruptcy came along, and now they want more wage concessions. They want us to double up on our insurance. We just said enough is enough."

----------------------------------

http://www.reuters.com/article....0121115

"We want to go back to work. But all I've done since I've been here is give," said 35-year-old Dan Carlson, who mixes dough in the Lenexa plant for $17 an hour and has worked with Hostess for six years. "We can't keep giving."

"We're all worried and scared," said 47-year-old Steve Blakey who has worked at Hostess for 27 years and planned to retire in two years.
"I don't want to lose my job. It's Christmas time," said 23-year-old Daniel Smith, who makes $11.64 an hour at the plant. "But if I have to take the cuts they're talking about I can get more from unemployment."

------------------------------

http://nhlabornews.com/2012....boycott

Hostess Brands is in bankruptcy for the second time in eight years. Since the first bankruptcy in 2004, BCTGM members across the country have taken dramatic wage and benefit concessions and watched as 21 Hostess plants were shut down and thousands of jobs lost.  At the time of the first bankruptcy, Hostess workers were assured by management that money saved via concessions or plant closings would help make the company stronger, more vibrant, and more competitive.

Instead, helpless Hostess employees watched as money that was supposed to go towards capital investment, product development, plant improvement and new equipment went to executive bonuses and payouts to the hedge funds that own Hostess Brands. They watched as the company illegally withdrew from all Taft-Hartley pension plans, saving more than $50 million in the first five months. The BCTGM learned that the then Hostess CEO was to be awarded a 300% raise, and at least nine other top executives were to receive raises ranging between 35% and 80%.

Since the company ceased making contractually obligated payments to the Hostess workers’ pensions in July 2011, it has pocketed approximately $160 million – money earned by and owed to its dedicated workforce.

Striking members know that the Wall Street investors currently in control of the company have no intention of building a world class wholesale bread and cake company.  They will simply take the money from the workers’ severe concessions and the sale of assets, pay themselves and then liquidate the company.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 20
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Hostess-Twinkie-Recipe.html

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 21
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What will this guy do now

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 22
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a sad day!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 23
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 16 2012, 10:41 am)

(TDale @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:53 am)
Thanks, union.

Meet the recently-elected union boss:

Little Debbie is probably jumping for joy.
 Post Number: 24
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nm  :p
 Post Number: 25
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:54 am)
Little Debbie is probably jumping for Joy.

Only in some films.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 26
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Bill Clinton would never have stood up for this...!!
 Post Number: 27
motts Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to get a box and wash em down with some malted milk.  

--------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—  
I took the one less traveled by,  
And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost
 Post Number: 28
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought two boxes of twinkies today.  unless they have more in back, Kroger is out of the regular ones.  only the chocolate filled ones left.

One for eating....the other for storing/hoarding.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 29
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ebay has a few

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 30
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't tell you the last time I had a twinkie.  It's been 35 years at least.

Not going to run out and buy any either.
57 replies since Nov. 16 2012, 9:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply OMG No more Twinkies!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions