2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: OMG No more Twinkies!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My organic chemistry professor in college had an unwrapped twinkie on his shelf for years and it didn't mold or anything - and this was in high humidity western Oregon

I can't eat anything that company makes, or similar - makes me ill - probably the preservatives

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 32
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife insisted that I get some so I got 2 boxes today.  Gonna stock pile them.  Although we don't really eat them.  But ya never know

--------------
Nature bats last!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 33
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:53 am)
Thanks, union.

Let the fail of the economy start.

Sad really.  The union would rather have 19000 people out of work than have 19000 people working for a little bit less money.  Some the picketers were interviewed on the news and they were in shock.

Yeah, you paid dues for 25 years dude, and this is what the union did for you.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 34
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The union is not the one that ran the company into the ground.  See the post with the breakdown of what happened to the last concession contract.  Bad management decisions led to both bankruptcy filings.

BTW-- Paying dues does not insure there will be a job forever.  Sometimes stuff happens.  Also, keep in mind all of the members voted, and the tally was in favor of the strike even though they were told the strike might very well cost them their jobs.  Most of the members who voted to accept the concessions were close to retirement, while most of the ones who voted to strike were younger workers who could not make ends meet with the wages of the concessions.  Check out the pension funds owed to all of those workers.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 35
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 16 2012, 1:05 pm)

(QCHIKER @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:54 am)
Little Debbie is probably jumping for Joy.

Only in some films.

It took them a long time to abandon the slogan, "Little Debbie has a Snack for You!"
 Post Number: 36
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OMG!! American is going to run out of junk food!!!

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 37
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well...FUDGE

I figured I would stop on the way home tonite to grab a couple boxes of 'souvenirs'....
Stopped at two stores...they are all gone!

Life with-out Ding-Dongs...That is a difficult concept to grasp

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 38
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, this sounds like a real pain in the ass
Does anyone know where I can find some 'Twinkie Canoes' ?

The recipe:

Golden "Twinkie" Cake:

2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray molds/pan with non-stick spray.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Next, beat in the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute in between each addition. Reduce the mixer speed and add flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla and mix until the batter just comes together. Over mixing with make your cake chewy. Makes 12 cakes.

Spray your Twinkie canoes and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until the cakes are just a light golden color and a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Cream Filling

¼ cup shortening (I prefer Crisco brand)
¼ cup margarine
1 cup sifted powdered or 10x sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Beat together the shortening and margarine until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar in a little at a time and beat on high until peaks form. Add vanilla and beat for one minute. Place in prepared icing tubes for piping into cakes.

To fill the cakes, insert the icing tip - preferably a large star tip - into three points along the flat-side of the cake, about 1/8 of an inch deep. Squeeze lightly until you see the filling begin to ooze out.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 39
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think I've ever had a Twinkie in my life! Should I give it a try finally -- or just give it a pass and let it die in peace?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 40
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not eat their stuff regularly, but can't imagine a world without Ho-Ho or fruit pies. Oh well. I am not going to rush out and get some.
 Post Number: 41
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 6:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Next Twinkie Maker: Will A Mexican Billionaire Family Buy Hostess' Orphaned Brands?

No one will be deprived for too long of their snack treats

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 42
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will not miss them.  I was a kid the last time I ate Twinkies or the other snacks.   One of my uncles worked at the Wonder Bread bakery when I was a kid and we got to tour the facility.  For some unknown reason his two daughters and I were dressed in outfits that had Wonder Bread dots all over them.  I do hope that no photos survived.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 43
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last time I had a Hostess Cupcake was in 03 when good ol' Grizzly James pulled some out of his pack after day 3 in the Tetons. Bought one last night for old times sake.
 Post Number: 44
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This just freaking SUCKS! Classic America is dying. :(
 Post Number: 45

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the shelves are empty.  And if they are in tranist, they are to return back to the warehouse.  No more deliveries.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 46
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't stand that icky greasy "cream filling," so wasn't personally feeling the loss.  But then I remembered that Hostess also makes those big powdered raspberry filled donuts, and the little brown crumb donuts that taste kind of like coconut even though there isn't a shred of natural flavoring to be found in them.    Those little treats have been mandatory on every road trip since my childhood.  I realize they're poisonous and restrict myself to eating them once or twice a year, but they are a delicious trashy treat.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 47
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 16 2012, 3:22 pm)
The union is not the one that ran the company into the ground.  See the post with the breakdown of what happened to the last concession contract.  Bad management decisions led to both bankruptcy filings.

BTW-- Paying dues does not insure there will be a job forever.  Sometimes stuff happens.  Also, keep in mind all of the members voted, and the tally was in favor of the strike even though they were told the strike might very well cost them their jobs.  Most of the members who voted to accept the concessions were close to retirement, while most of the ones who voted to strike were younger workers who could not make ends meet with the wages of the concessions.  Check out the pension funds owed to all of those workers.  

I am in this business, and I can tell you that Wonder/Hostess has horribly mismanaged for years.  I find it amazing that it lasted as long as it did.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 48
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Nov. 17 2012, 1:10 pm)
I can't stand that icky greasy "cream filling," so wasn't personally feeling the loss. ...and the little brown crumb donuts that taste kind of like coconut even though there isn't a shred of natural flavoring to be found in them.    Those little treats have been mandatory on every road trip since my childhood.  I realize they're poisonous ...

Same here Ponderosa!   Rarely have eaten Twinkies... yahgggh YUKK!  

But yeah those crumb donuts are a favorite.  Ate some yesterday in fact on my way to Yosemite Valley.   And am guilty of usually gulping them down while driving so lots of crumbs end up on my clothing and car seat.  But that is why I have a wisk brush under the seat.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 49
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:04 am)

(ponderosa @ Nov. 17 2012, 1:10 pm)
I can't stand that icky greasy "cream filling," so wasn't personally feeling the loss. ...and the little brown crumb donuts that taste kind of like coconut even though there isn't a shred of natural flavoring to be found in them.    Those little treats have been mandatory on every road trip since my childhood.  I realize they're poisonous ...

Same here Ponderosa!   Rarely have eaten Twinkies... yahgggh YUKK!  

But yeah those crumb donuts are a favorite.  Ate some yesterday in fact on my way to Yosemite Valley.   And am guilty of usually gulping them down while driving so lots of crumbs end up on my clothing and car seat.  But that is why I have a wisk brush under the seat.

Hubs grabbed the last little package of crumb donuts from the gas station yesterday.  In a supreme parental sacrifice, we gave two each to our two daughters, and he and I each ate one.  The last one... :O

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 50
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was one of the ones who loaded up on the goodies.  Think I got enough?
I wasn't even able to get my favorites which are the orange cupcakes, raspberry zingers and ho ho's.  I only ate them about once a year so I guess I won't miss them.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 51
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whoa, settle down... they only wanted them to take the pay cuts to make the company appear more profitable ahead of sale to a company from Mexico. Your call if you want a Made in Mexico Twinkie however.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 52

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ohiohiker84 @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:04 pm)
I wasn't even able to get my favorites which are the orange cupcakes, raspberry zingers and ho ho's.  I only ate them about once a year so I guess I won't miss them.

Nice score. Got any sno balls?  give ya 5 bucks for the pink ones.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 53
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:37 pm)

(Ohiohiker84 @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:04 pm)

Nice score. Got any sno balls?  give ya 5 bucks for the pink ones.

I only managed to get the box of orange ones. I'm not sure if they taste different than the pink ones, I'll have to try one.

I was lucky I got what I did. I got to the Hostess store 5 minutes after it opened!  They were wiped out of ho ho's in 5 minutes! They had a truck delivery the night before so they were fully stocked at 9 am. My adult kids were texting me their "order"and kept adding to it. About 1/2 of it is theirs  :)  Oh, and the entire store was 50% off.  I'll probably keep a couple ding dongs and cupcakes for myself and give away the rest; I don't even like Twinkies.
 Post Number: 54
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some may wish to continue to blame the employees of Hostess, but others may actually be willing to look at the bigger picture and what management did.  

You can read more about why Hostess failed here if you wish.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 55
Grizzly James Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Loon @ Nov. 17 2012, 10:59 am)
Last time I had a Hostess Cupcake was in 03 when good ol' Grizzly James pulled some out of his pack after day 3 in the Tetons. Bought one last night for old times sake.

Ah yes, I remember that. Those were my precious, highly-beloved cup cakes too. Yum yums I painstakingly freighted up and down the cardiac switchbacks, across raging rivers, through stunning canyons. They were the prize of my pack. My little reward for the mountain toils well played. And I do not know how it is you knew I had them, nor how you happened to show up at exactly the  right moment to catch me with my hand in the bear can, but you did. And the sun held still in the Wyoming sky, as you put on your best starving puppy face.  I was honor-bound, much to my stomach's dismay, to share my cup cakes then, as if some unwritten law of the back country declared that I must. Thus, and under that beautiful, blue Wyoming sky, I handed you half of my beloved cup cakes rations, and I guess sensing the scope of the moment, you received it in a fashion suitable for the Noble Prize! I thought you were going to start thanking the academy or something, your were so lit up with joy. All this but for one semi- tasty, gently smushed, cup cake. Proof in point that location is indeed everything, and that chocolate is thicker than logic.

-GJ
 Post Number: 56
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Twinkies are not America, but the people that worked there are. It will be divided up and probably still in production under another name.

As far as the junk food they made, I could care less if another twinkie, ho-ho or snowball ever sees the light of day.
 Post Number: 57
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 17 2012, 1:40 pm)
the shelves are empty.  And if they are in tranist, they are to return back to the warehouse.  No more deliveries.

Don't worry, those same returned Twinkies will be out in several years like a fine wine vintage to you addicts or aficionados or whatever.   Do I hear $100?  Going once, $105..

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 58
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The executives made sure they got their money while screwing the workers.

Just last month, a judge agreed to let Hostess executives suck another $1.8 million out of the bankrupt company to pay bonuses to CEOs.  

--------------

57 replies since Nov. 16 2012, 9:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply OMG No more Twinkies!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions