2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Idiots at public meetings, IndyParks deer informational meeting< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 4:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://indianapolis.granicus.com/MediaPl....id=8755

The above is a video of a public meeting where the parks were seeking information about possible deer overpopulation in a large city park.

11:15 is the start of the deer stuff.  A lawyer stands up and babbles first, then the informational presentation, and afterwards are some comments from the public.

Some of these people are astoundingly stupid.  Most of the commenters simply requested that the parks do their due diligence to be absolutely certain the deer are overpopulated.  Fine.  There were a good number who said, "I have not personally observed deer overpopulation" as though they would know it if they saw it.

One lady who spoke up - wow.  Wackadoodle.

One lady says she thinks thinks it's a GREAT thing for children to go to Eagle Creek to pet the deer and feed the deer, then says there's no evidence that there's any interaction between diseases in animals and diseases in people (specifically referencing Lyme disease, whose prevalence is increasing in the state and is one concern related to deer overpopulation).  She also starts to rail against The Nature Conservancy (who apparently also voiced concern about deer overpopulation in the park) for doing prescribed burning in some Chicago forest preserves to turn them into prairie...as though that's a horrible, horrible thing to do in a place that was historically a tallgrass prairie anyway.  And IF the deer are overpopulated, then the parks should plant seeds for plants that the deer can eat so they will be healthy.

--------------
The GPS Geek
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I blame Disney.

The Bambi effect.

Related fact:

The ONLY animal caused human death in Yosemite National Park? A child killed by a deer kick.
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate to break it too you, but these are some of our more intelligent citizens!

The really dumb ones just stayed home and watched "Jersey Shore" or "Honey Boo Boo"
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 17 2012, 4:20 pm)
I hate to break it too you, but these are some of our more intelligent citizens!

The really dumb ones just stayed home and watched "Jersey Shore" or "Honey Boo Boo"

I'm not sure about that.  I think the crazy lady would actually learn something from Jersey Shore and Honey Boo Boo.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The triumph of emotions over intellect...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

these people can vote . . .

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 17 2012, 7:11 pm)
these people can vote . . .

I wouldn't be so sure.  Give them a New Jersey absentee ballot and see if they can do everything necessary to keep it from being invalid.  I think it's a feat beyond most people.
 Post Number: 8
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh. my.  :O

(35:48, btw...the previous is just long-winded complaining about needing to do your research publicly)
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it's baffling.  I'd honestly hope these people don't vote, but I'm not sure about it.  Especially the lady from "The Animals are Crying, Inc"

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 8:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in the early 80s when I was living in PA, there protests about allowing damage control deer hunts in state parks even in the face of evidence that hunts were needed. So the state game manager decided to close one park to the hunts and document the results using news crews. The very first winter showed an over-populated deer herd yarding up and destroying every bit of vegetation they could reach very early in winter and then most starving to death with clips on TV and photos in the paper as required by an agreement.

The result? Not "Oh, we really do need to kill some!" but rather "OMG! How can you let this happen! FEED THEM!", failing to understand that doing so would make the problem worse in the future.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, at least they went to the meeting - not like everyone else who was home watching the boob tube :p

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now isn’t that special :laugh:

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 13
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You have no idea...
12 replies since Nov. 17 2012, 4:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Idiots at public meetings
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions