2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: forget wolves,, Kill all the coyotes you can< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Echo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 6:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Mexico private land, competitive Coyote hunt has at least 60 pairs computing to kill as many coyotes as they can in a two day hunt.  But the skins will make nice coats for the homeless. At least one protester vows to dress like a coyote so the hunters can be charged with killing a human

http://www.latimes.com/news....5.story

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That protester should come to PA.  They'd have better odds of being shot.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 3
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Suicide by hunter. Now there's a new one...!!
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least one protester vows to dress like a coyote so the hunters can be charged with killing a human

If the protester is that stupid then he should know that no LEO would ever charge a shooter for killing the guy if he dresses like the target animal and knowingly enters the killing field.

I'm not condoning wholesale slaughter but coyotes are one animal that has increased its numbers and range exponentially due to humans even though man has tried his damnedest to wipe them out for 300+ years. The animal isn't remotely close to being threatened.

Plus homo sap has created a smarter animal in that time by killing off the dumb ones. This hunt will actually have the result of increasing the coyote population over the next few years.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 17 2012, 10:13 pm)
At least one protester vows to dress like a coyote so the hunters can be charged with killing a human

If the protester is that stupid then he should know that no LEO would ever charge a shooter for killing the guy if he dresses like the target animal and knowingly enters the killing field.

True, but what if the shooter was aware that eyebp might be out there in his goat suit for example :D, and went on the hunt anyway?  

That protester might only have to publicly announce their plan to dress as a coyote, and not actually have do it in order to cause doubt among hunters.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only 1 coyote killed on day 1.  Let's see what happens on day 2. Evidently there are so many coyotes over running the countryside in NM that they have bred themselves some rightous camouflage.

How much stock predation can so few coyotes be guilty of?  Until Game and Fish or some other outside agency verifies it is a coyote predation, how do the ranchers know which agency to apply to for compensation?  Those poor ranchers are so persecuted.  Maybe we should rent them some Federal land for under cost.  Oh, wait.  We do that already.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my conversations with a very smart rancher in Texas, he pointed out to me that even though he has quite a few coyotes on his property (I saw a few of them), he has more livestock depredation problems from stray dogs.  Granted, he raised cattle and a few horses.  I would imagine ranchers who raised sheep would have different predator problems.

Still, I don't have a problem with someone who decides to hunt coyotes.  They have done a very good job historically of eluding persecution as a species in spite of long odds against things like poisoning and in the process they've managed to expand their range and increase in numbers.  But making it a competition for quantity is pretty ridiculous and those sorts of things should be prohibited.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe they should catch and release like a fishing competitions

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Montana we still have Government Trappers flying in Helo's and killing coyotes by the score... all on your dime.

The New Stupid seems to be found in urban centers and among apparently educated people...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 10
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:44 am)
In Montana we still have Government Trappers flying in Helo's and killing coyotes by the score... all on your dime.

The New Stupid seems to be found in urban centers and among apparently educated people...

Urbanites and Suburbanites have been stupid for a long time, putting far more into the Treasury per capita than their country counterparts and letting most of those country folk take out more from the treasury per capita than they put in.

We don't shoot coyotes, like badgers they're often ground squirrel killing machines. We also don't raise cattle or sheep though.

I would guess there is a lot of outrage in New Mexico from Taos to 'Burque because coyotoes love "free range" chcikens in fenced in back yards.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 11
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure why the US gov't needs to be in the killing coyote business at all, other than the whining of the ranchers.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Nov. 18 2012, 10:00 am)

Urbanites and Suburbanites have been stupid for a long time, putting far more into the Treasury per capita than their country counterparts and letting most of those country folk take out more from the treasury per capita than they put in.

We don't shoot coyotes, like badgers they're often ground squirrel killing machines. We also don't raise cattle or sheep though.

I would guess there is a lot of outrage in New Mexico from Taos to 'Burque because coyotoes love "free range" chcikens in fenced in back yards.

Yeah, but not free range coyotes.

BTW, wolves will eat coyotes, so maybe adding wolves to the mix will help.   :laugh:

I'm not happy with all the deer in my area, which cost me a lot of time, money, and aggravation each year, but I don't want to see them exterminated, either.
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coyote....the other white meat
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They need to come and have a hunt around in the places I usually bp at as  there are tons of them. I've seen some fairly large packs of them of at least a dozen or so.
 Post Number: 15
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like everything else in nature, they serve a purpose. I guess they don't have a problem with rabbits, hantavirus, or Lyme's disease.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 16
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:02 pm)
Like everything else in nature, they serve a purpose. I guess they don't have a problem with rabbits, hantavirus, or Lyme's disease.

Spot on as I have lived in areas where coyotes and damn near all predators were elimanated. Then the cottontails and jack rabbits exploded, spreading tuleriema and some reports of bubonic plague throughout the mammal populations..including human. (Pima & Pinal Counties AZ early 60's)

Want a great read on the predator control industry and grazing politics:
Wolfer
Mostly focused on the Rockies wolves, but Niedemeyers early years was slaughter of any animal that didn't meet the management objectives of the stockman.

Second, this is a New Mexico hunt probably over run with Texans; too many gun and blood lust and no where to hunt without any public lands.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That and grazing leases below market prices are a form of welfare that could end now.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 18
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blue_sage @ Nov. 18 2012, 8:39 pm)
. . . Want a great read on the predator control industry and grazing politics:
Wolfer
Mostly focused on the Rockies wolves, but Niemeyers early years was slaughter of any animal that didn't meet the management objectives of the stockman. . .

Absolutely. I could easily see making Niemeyer's Wolfer required reading for any person wishing to understand the wolf or coyote controversies — especially in the West.

Wildlife Services' efforts to exterminate coyotes in the West are a colossal charade of substantial taxpayer expense that does nothing to reduce the actual coyote population. The efforts are little more that wasteful, aerial, feel-good antics for the livestock industry.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 19
TheKnifeSmith Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Nov. 18 2012, 12:53 am)
In my conversations with a very smart rancher in Texas, he pointed out to me that even though he has quite a few coyotes on his property (I saw a few of them), he has more livestock depredation problems from stray dogs.  Granted, he raised cattle and a few horses.  I would imagine ranchers who raised sheep would have different predator problems.

Still, I don't have a problem with someone who decides to hunt coyotes.  They have done a very good job historically of eluding persecution as a species in spite of long odds against things like poisoning and in the process they've managed to expand their range and increase in numbers.  But making it a competition for quantity is pretty ridiculous and those sorts of things should be prohibited.

Very well stated... and I agree 100%

--------------
Nathan
The Knife Smith
 Post Number: 20
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 1:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

wildlifenate:
. . . In my conversations with a very smart rancher in Texas, he pointed out to me that even though he has quite a few coyotes on his property (I saw a few of them), he has more livestock depredation problems from stray dogs.  Granted, he raised cattle and a few horses.  I would imagine ranchers who raised sheep would have different predator problems. . ..

The articles below were published about a month ago, and it seems nearly every major news source stifled or neglected the news: Dogs Kill 44 Sheep in Wyoming, Ralph Maughan; (also see Dogs attack sheep, kill 44, Riverton Ranger.)
    "Dogs running loose have killed 44 sheep north of Riverton, Wyoming. Perhaps a score or more were injured. The incident has received minor attention from the Wyoming media. . . . ¶ Not to worry though, the sheriff sternly chided local dog owners. ¶ The real interest, the real news here, is showing that the ranchers complaints about the burden of wolves are a bunch of malarkey."
Domestic dogs killing sheep is an old story in Wyoming, and it's repeated yearly. Killing another coyote (or wolf) does absolutely nothing to remedy the problem of domestic dogs.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
19 replies since Nov. 17 2012, 6:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply forget wolves,
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions